Homebrew Is it easier to emulate PS1 or N64?

Tranquil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've always wondered which one would is easier to emulate on the Wii...I noticed that on the PSP the PS1 games have far better framerates than the N64 games...does this mean N64 would be more difficult to emulate than PS1?

theotherfreakygu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, on the PS1 games for PSP, the PSP has very similar hardware, so it is easy for it to emulate it because it doesn't have to use as much software emulation as it does in the N64 emulator. As for the Wii, I'm not sure, but both emulators seem to work OK at their current public builds, but not 100% at all.

Sibe

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Maybe, N64 are cartridges after all.

QUOTE said:
Actually, on the PS1 games for PSP, the PSP has very similar hardware, so it is easy for it to emulate it because it doesn't have to use as much software emulation as it does in the N64 emulator. As for the Wii, I'm not sure, but both emulators seem to work OK at their current public builds, but not 100% at all.

Really? Last I saw the public releases still ran badly.

Dinoguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it might be because the ps1 uses iso's and that the emulater is more worked on than the n64 psp emu
According to your comment though I would save it's the other way around since n64 are small roms and ps1are like 1 gb iso's

nash79

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
theotherfreakyguy said:

Where did you see that a N64 emulator working OK?????? Please "enlight" us with a link to a working one. Me and a LOT of people around the world were waiting for it.

nehe32

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Dinoguy said:
it might be because the ps1 uses iso's and that the emulater is more worked on than the n64 psp emu
According to your comment though I would save it's the other way around since n64 are small roms and ps1are like 1 gb iso's
size is irrelevant i believe in this case. Also, i think ISOs such as PS1 ISOs have a distinct file system they use, i imagine this *might* make it easier that emulating a ROM which basically has no filesystem (well, that is the case with GBA)

tiv_puppy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yep, nehe32 is right, size is irrelevant on this case.

First, n64 emulation IS "harder" to be done, because of the technology used. N64 is a 64bit system, while PS1 is a 32bit system. No one have doubts in witch is harder to emulate when we talk about SNES(16bit system) and PS1(32bit system) right? The same is applied on N64 x PS1.

BUT, the archtecture is also relevant. It's easier to emulate systems that share some archtecture(aka, when they're of the same company). See, PS3 can emulate PS2 easier than N64, despite of the fact that N64 is older.

rAiN mAn 2o0o

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the best way to emulate a console is of course on pc.. it's always been that way.. always will be that way... even the emulators that are considered to be great on Wii SUCK majorly compared to pc...

Take Snes9x for wii... its great.. I am not bashing it at all.. and I appreciate all the hours of hard work that went into porting it!... but when you compare it to Zsnes for pc.. It's no contest at all!

and emulating newer systems.. PC emulates PSX and N64 flawlessly (with support for hires textures and many other great features)...

PCSX2 is also up and coming and can emulate a shitload of games at ALMOST full speed (if you have a good pc)

Dolphin can emulate SOME games for gamecube and wii... some perfectly like smash melee.. but most of the code isn't developed yet for superior compatibility..

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
not sure what you mean with the snes emulator.. i don't see anythin' better about zsnes really? (snes9xw is what you should compare it to btw)
But you don't need a pc, you just need raw power for emulation
wink.gif
Like pcsx2 etc.
PC's are not necessarily special, just generally more powerful because you can easily upgrade bottlenecks

rAiN mAn 2o0o

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you are right.. I should have compared wii snes9x to computer snes9x.. they both suck compared to Zsnes... game compatibility is greater... and there is NO LAG when using filters!

try playing super mario world on your wii with filters enabled and hq2x enabled... you will notice that there is about a 15-20 millisecond delay on everything you do.. its like this with any game that requires extremely fast reflexes and button pushing!.. and its the same on the wii as it is my 3.0gigahertz quad core with 8 gigs of ram and geforce 8800gt (running on either VISTA, XP, or Linux!)! It annoys the crap outta me...

now for games like final fantasy .. snes9x is fine...

MAYBE!!! since bootmii's mini source code has been released and it is linux based.. somebody (not me I am too stupid) will take the initiative to port Zsnes linux version to run from Bootmii!

DPyro

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why doesn't someone hack one of the N64 wads so you can run any rom with it? It's kinda the same thing as what Dark_Alex did on the PSP.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
The PSP doesn't emulate PS1 games, it virtualizes them. As the PS1 uses a R3000A CPU and the PSP uses a R4000, there is no need to do full emulation. Think of how fast Parallels or VMware (virtualizers) is compared to Dosbox or Bochs (emulators).

DPyro

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ya, but I'm talking about a complete hack so you can run any rom you want without mucking about with a computer.

dopelogic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont think the Wii will ever be able to do either of these systems. Correct me if I'm wrong but isnt the processor power of the Wii less than that of the original Xbox? Xbox has emus for both these systems but neither of them run great.....

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
DPyro said:
Ya, but I'm talking about a complete hack so you can run any rom you want without mucking about with a computer.
Because the PSX emu on the PSP was luckily an almost complete one. The VC emus are partial emus made only for certain games. They do not emulate fully the N64, so if you can find a game that doesn't need anything unemulated by your current WAD, chances are high that it will work.

Nintendo won't probably ever release a N64 VC emu that completely emulates the N64 as it knows about injections, and it's actively trying to fight them. It's just not needed for what they do.

Pimpmynintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bladexdsl said:
um the xbox was over 64BIT the ps1 is 32BIT the wii is way stronger than the original box 128BIT so there's plenty of power.
This is one of the dumbest and funniest things I've heard in awhile. 128 bit architectures aren't really even used in today's CPUs. Not only that but you say the xbox has over 64 bit architecture? Do you even know what you are talking about? lmfao

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr