Is it currently safe to disable the dns blocking to access eshop and update games?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by fowler002, Feb 18, 2017.

1. fowler002
    OP

fowler002 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 3, 2013
    recently hacked my Wii u following the guide, have been dumping my games and downloading some using the Wii u USB helper.
    Some of the games require an update and give the unable to update error, so is it ok to disable the dns block at the moment? Don't think the new system update has been released.

2. jbuck1975

jbuck1975 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 28, 2015
    United States
    Yes

Reecey likes this.
  3. Peniskoker

Peniskoker GBAtemp Regular

Feb 15, 2015
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Cant acces the eshop

4. jbuck1975

Dec 28, 2015
    United States
    What do you mean can't access eshop?
    He just wants to update is games

5. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Addict

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    just yesterday, I bought and installed brain age and reverted yoshi's island, which I was using as haxchi, back into a game. I had no issues doing so.

6. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Version 5.5.1 is currently the latest system version as of this post, so it is safe. After you're done using the eShop, I recommend you restore DNS update blocking.

7. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    No, its not safe to delete your dns settings! An update from Nintendo could be rolled out at anytime and seen as thought Zelda Breath of Wild is due out on the 3rd of March, expect one any day, remember firmware 5.6.0 has had a beta roll out a while now! Don't take away your DNS settings! thats a warning to anyone reading this even if your using fix94's cbhc, its not full poof and even he does not know that yet! :teach:

Edit: sorry my bad! I misread the title, if your doing a quick update then yes its ok to take them off but please make sure you put them back on afterwards :)

Last edited by Reecey, Feb 19, 2017
  8. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    OP is only disabling the DNS settings for a few minutes. It should be safe.

Reecey likes this.
  9. Reecey

Mar 7, 2010
    I misread, yes its ok I fixed my comment thanks. Tbh though its still dodgy doing it that way in case you forget to put your dns servers back or even Ninti rolls out a sneaky update without anyone knowing it yet. I find doing it via nus and wupinstaller channel on the wiiu's main menu is just as good, if not quicker I always do it that way. E-shop is not that much of a problem to me I just use the nnu-patcher, I've got it on the cbhc selection on boot up menu screen so its very easy to use my end and works very well actually!.

10. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Personally, I would just download the updates using Wii U USB helper. You also bring up a good point that disabling the DNS settings actually clears the DNS settings, meaning everything has to be retyped.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-wii-u-usb-helper-a-small-eshop-for-windows.446565/

pelago likes this.
  11. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Addict

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    btw, don't worry if the red x over download notifications doesn't appear right away. it's normal. when I updated my second wii u, and reenabled my proxy server (using cc proxy to block updates), the red x didn't appear for about a day. same with downloading brain age and redownloading yoshi's island which were two separate times. the red x will appear again at some point. the best way to know if it's working even without the red x is by trying to enter the eshop. it should error saying something about "the image could not be displayed," then u'll be kicked out.

12. jbuck1975

Dec 28, 2015
    United States
    that's what I meant by Yes. Undo it Update games, then reapply DNS

Reecey likes this.
  13. retrofan_k

retrofan_k GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 31, 2013
    Belarus
    Caves
    You can, yet ideally just grab the update from usb installer and install that with the game.

14. Reecey

Mar 7, 2010
    Yes I have noticed that, that is a bit of a pain you would think it would just remember your last settings to go back but it doesn't for some odd reason?

15. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    The 3DS remembers your DNS settings, but the Wii U does not.

Reecey likes this.
  16. Reecey

Mar 7, 2010
    Strange and annoying! ergh actually... very annoying that the 3DS does it and not the WiiU!!!

17. jbuck1975

Dec 28, 2015
    United States
    You could setup a secondary connect with internet access just for updates.

18. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    This is what I do. I have my normal Wi-Fi setup with DNS blocking, and I have my secondary Wi-Fi setup that is identical to the first, except there's no DNS blocking and the SSID has an extra character in it so it can't connect using that connection unless I remove that character.

19. fowler002
    OP

fowler002 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 3, 2013
    Thanks for the replies, I don't know what I'm doing wrong but even having downloaded and installed the updates for a few of the games off the Wii u USB helper it still says the game needs to be updated.

20. Felek666

Felek666 Archdemon | #AMDForever

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    For some odd reason it also does that for me.
    Just ignore that message and launch game without updating, it should work.