Hacking Discussion ¿Is it be possible to emulate the Nintendo Online service?

GeneralKevin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guatemala
I've been wondering if it is possible to kind of create a "private online" for hacked switches and link our devices to it so we could play online... kinda like wiimmfi does on the wii

Itzumi

tinkerer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been wondering if it is possible to kind of create a "private online" for hacked switches and link our devices to it so we could play online... kinda like wiimmfi does on the wii
I dont think thatd be a good idea, ninty might shut it down.
It could probably be done

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We've already looked at making a "SwitchNet" utilizing the LAN Play mode in certain games. So far nobody has gotten it to work to my knowledge, but I think XLink Kai is working on something.

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes its 100% possible to emulate the service. In 20 years well have private servers. You will have to wait or start decrypting network packets now

D

Deleted User

So, If it's possible, what would happen to Fortnite and other cross-play games with own server ? Would we get a own hacker Fortnite server, same with Paladins ?

GeneralKevin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guatemala
I don't think so, the way it would probably work, is with the lan play that the switch offers, making that not compatible with non lan play compatible games.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The answer is a shaky yes it's possible, but it's not practical as the Big N would C&D it shortly after it goes public. Nintendo is not going to be a fan of fan servers, especially now that they have their own paid online service.

Last edited by The Catboy,
Reactions: GeneralKevin

RY0M43CH1Z3N

Touching things and improving your world
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
Yes but the N would shut it down because they have their paid service and don't want anyone "clone", "emulate", "create" a free/paid service without their permission.

GeneralKevin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guatemala
We do have something like that on the ps4 but is done with point to point connections if im not wrong, so there's not a dedicated server that sony can shut down, so i think it can be kind of like that :s idk

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The answer is a shaky yes it's possible, but it's not practical as the Big N would C&D it shortly after it goes public. Nintendo is not going to be a fan of fan servers, especially now that they have their own paid online service.
Do you think it would be possible to create a solution that didn't infringe copyright?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Do you think it would be possible to create a solution that didn't infringe copyright?
Technically if we made a private server for say Quake 2, that would be fine. It's only if we made one for say Splatoon 2 that would land someone into hot water.
Now if something like Splatoon 2 were to offer the option to host your own private server from your own computer, that would be a different story.
This gets into some really muddy issue with copyright laws, but basically it boils down to what the company permits you to do with their IP. It would have to be on Nintendo (or any other company) to give you the OK and everything needed to host your own server with their IP.
Of course there's also the case where servers are hosted after the system has lost support and those cases don't really seem to be touched by most companies. It seems like Nintendo hasn't really done anything about Wiimmfi. Which is most likely because the courts would be far more inclined to be in favor of Wiimmfi over Nintendo's claims. Of course this is just a theory on my end, but one based on my knowledge of Nintendo's history only taking on battles that they know they can win.
Edit: I forgot to add that any private server being used to bypass their paid online service is against the law. So there's that issue that needs to be taken into consideration.

Last edited by The Catboy,
Reactions: x65943

GeneralKevin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guatemala
Technically if we made a private server for say Quake 2, that would be fine. It's only if we made one for say Splatoon 2 that would land someone into hot water.
Now if something like Splatoon 2 were to offer the option to host your own private server from your own computer, that would be a different story.
This gets into some really muddy issue with copyright laws, but basically it boils down to what the company permits you to do with their IP. It would have to be on Nintendo (or any other company) to give you the OK and everything needed to host your own server with their IP.
Of course there's also the case where servers are hosted after the system has lost support and those cases don't really seem to be touched by most companies. It seems like Nintendo hasn't really done anything about Wiimmfi. Which is most likely because the courts would be far more inclined to be in favor of Wiimmfi over Nintendo's claims. Of course this is just a theory on my end, but one based on my knowledge of Nintendo's history only taking on battles that they know they can win.
Edit: I forgot to add that any private server being used to bypass their paid online service is against the law. So there's that issue that needs to be taken into consideration.
do you think that making the lan thing i say, it will be breaking this kind of stuff? cuz nintendo allows us to do that without a nintendo online subscription, so i don't think it will be such a bad thing to do though.

Charzad

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah your gonna need to reverse engineer the game's network stack.
Probs to much work but is possible

GeneralKevin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guatemala
Its being worked on guys!

If you understand spanis, go watch this video! And get ready for online play on banned switches

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Its being worked on guys!

If you understand spanis, go watch this video! And get ready for online play on banned switches

Considering the fact that no evidence is presented in the video that shows that his console is indeed banned, i highly, HIGHLY doubt this video has any legs to stand on. Besides, if you look at the thumbnail. he's LAN(As in LOCAL) play, something that isn't affected by online bans

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs