is it at all possible to make a wii u disk adapter fo the switch

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
The CPU in the switch is SLOWER than the CPU in the WiiU and the WiiU has a dedicated GPU which requires emulation again due to the GX2 library calls. So you are emulating 2 sets of instructions in order to get a basic display. The CPU and Integrated GPU in the Switch processor just will not cut it.
Not to be rude, but never ever compare CPUs with different architenctures again. The speed =/= a better processor. Plus did you know! The Espresso CPU only have 3 cores and the Tegra X1 got 4? Amazing!

EDIT: Also there is nothing wrong with intergrated GPUs. They are plenty fine and I can bet you the X1 GPU is hell of a long stronger than the silly Wii U one, even if it's dedicated.

Last edited by linuxares,

lembi2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Not to be rude, but never ever compare CPUs with different architenctures again. The speed =/= a better processor. Plus did you know! The Espresso CPU only have 3 cores and the Tegra X1 got 4? Amazing!

Take your own advice. The platforms are different and should not be compared.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As retroboy said, why do you need an adapter when it's likely we will get all the best Wii U games as ports anyway as delux versions, just like we get all those great PlayStation enhanced ports like Dragons Dogma, Final Fantasy X/XII, last of us etc etc.
Just buy the superior versions on the superior system, Sony and Nintendo are great at releasing enhanced ports as well as great exclusives.
only problem with that statement is that final fantasy, the last of us etc arent sony games, yes theyre on a sony console but sony didnt make them.

where as mario kart is by nintendo.

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
only problem with that statement is that final fantasy, the last of us etc arent sony games, yes theyre on a sony console but sony didnt make them.

where as mario kart is by nintendo.
Actually the only problem with that statement was that Dragons Dogma isn't an exclusive, regardless I'm just happy I get to play them again now the consoles are long gone.
Especially in the case of FFXII a game I originally thought wasn't great but on playing the remaster actually enjoyed it a lot, or Last of Us that I never got to play first time round as I didn't have a PS3.

Bedel

The key of the blade
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yup porting its same games with little changes rather than creating a new game for its new system.

point being? nintendo are porting its failure wii u titles to the switch, OP is asking would it be possible to buy and play wii u games...... refer back to my post, you can already because nintendo have and will likely port more wii u titles over when more third parties drop support.
Oh well no, you definitly don't know what is it to port any type of program.

Reactions: TheCyberQuake

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
WHAT?

Guaranteed that this will NEVER happen for exactly the reasons that everyone else has said..

Sarcasm and the internet. Can they never work together? ;)

(So you think that I uploaded a Wii(U) Game to the Nintendo eShop and made 5000 USD a month, working from home.... Know your memes... ;)

Especially since I explained, my motivation for being entirely sarcastic in the very next paragraph. Search for the word sarcasm. Its there. ;) )

Last edited by notimp,

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh well no, you definitly don't know what is it to port any type of program.
think your completely missing the point, one person seemed to understand the point.

why bother with a device to play wii u games when nintendo are likely to port them over, as they have already with mario kart, pokken.....

i dont get why your thong is so far up your mangina.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you working on the Switch hacking scene? No? Exactly. I’m not saying it can or it can’t but you don’t know what it will ever be capable of until we really start getting emulators for it and then we will see. Until then it’s a waiting game
This post reminds me of a bit that Ron And Fez had on their radio program back in the day. An old lady would call in seeking help getting her computer working. Through the discussion, it would come to be revealed that her computer was a microwave tied to a keyboard. When they explained to her that that was not a computer and wouldn't work, her response was "Have you tried it? THEN YOU DON'T KNOW!"

tl;dr: With sufficient understanding of how things work, one doesn't have to have tried it to have a good idea of whether or not it will work.

Reactions: TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No one knows except for the people working on the hacks atm and they will be able to test the Switches capabilities. Anything is possible, people here wouldn’t know much about the possibilities of the Switch
You can have a basic understanding of hardware and software and generally know how it will (or rather won't) work. We got wii u to play gamecube backups without official support only because most of what was needed was already there, and the hardware was compatible. The wii u used PPC architecture, but the switch uses arm architecture. That means you won't be able to get it running natively on switch, unlike gamecube running on wii u. Porting would require source code and basically rewriting everything to use arm instead of PPC. So that's not happening from the homebrew community. The only other option is emulation. And it's a well known fact you need a device much more powerful than the original to emulate a system. The switch is not powerful enough to emulate wii u.
So no, you will probably never be playing wii u titles on switch without them getting a Deluxe port from nintendo.
You say "anything is possible", but from a technical standpoint no not everything is possible. There are hardware limitations that prevent it. And you don't need to know how to hack the software or hardware to understand how the hardware works.

Last edited by TheCyberQuake,
Reactions: nmkd

Polopop123

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
You can have a basic understanding of hardware and software and generally know how it will (or rather won't) work. We got wii u to play gamecube backups without official support only because most of what was needed was already there, and the hardware was compatible. The wii u used PPC architecture, but the switch uses arm architecture. That means you won't be able to get it running natively on switch, unlike gamecube running on wii u. Porting would require source code and basically rewriting everything to use arm instead of PPC. So that's not happening from the homebrew community. The only other option is emulation. And it's a well known fact you need a device much more powerful than the original to emulate a system. The switch is not powerful enough to emulate wii u.
So no, you will probably never be playing wii u titles on switch without them getting a Deluxe port from nintendo.
You say "anything is possible", but from a technical standpoint no not everything is possible. There are hardware limitations that prevent it. And you don't need to know how to hack the software or hardware to understand how the hardware works.
Guess I was trying to be a bit optimistic. Would you say t would be powerful enough to emulate the Wii? Cos that would mean MKWii Online on the go which would be really cool

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Oh man don't get the snowflakes worked up