Hacking Is it a waste of time to do things if I plan to do a system transfer when 9.6 is supported?

sacredshinobi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So here is my dilemma

I have a 3DS XL on 9.5, so I got myself a New 3DSXL and set up Gateway. I've done a lot on Gateway so far. Installed a lot of CIA files, played a lot of games (.3ds and cia) and generally used it quite a bit.

Now on my old 3DS XL have games from the eshop downloaded onto it, save game files, and obviously my Nintendo Network ID linked to it. I want to do a system transfer from this 3DS to my new 3DS's. I heard however that this isn't possible because you have to be on the latest firmware and I can't update emunand to 9.6.

So my question is, is everything i'm doing on the New 3DS a waste of time? Will I lose all of my CIA downloads and have to download them again? Will I lose my save files and be unable to use them once I transfer the system? Would I have to redo everything?

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's just my opinion, but if you're going to do homebrew, hacking , and piracy on your console, then don't expect to do any of the legit stuff. Get yourself another console for the legit stuff, because with hacking and homebrew nothing is guaranteed.

Reactions: logg and GaaraPrime

Garro

Pendulum of souls!
Trophies
Website
garrothedog.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Chile
Until Gateway releases compatibility for EmuNAND 9.6 you can't system transfer to your n3DS EmuNAND.

However, while yeah you will lose what you actually have in your n3DS Emunand, you can backup the savefiles of the games you have played using SaveDataFiler, after doing the System Transfer you can reinstall the CIAs and inject them back.

Reactions: Margen67

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Until Gateway releases compatibility for EmuNAND 9.6 you can't system transfer to your n3DS EmuNAND.

However, while yeah you will lose what you actually have in your n3DS Emunand, you can backup the savefiles of the games you have played using SaveDataFiler, after doing the System Transfer you can reinstall the CIAs and inject them back.

Hm I thought system transfer merges the content, not overwrites?

Osmosis

Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no idea how I posted two exact threads at the same time. Would a moderator please delete this.

Relax. Happens to us all. Just EDIT your original post of this thread to "empty" (delete the message) and carry the one you want to keep. People will figure it out. Or link it, or warn people, blah blah blah...

Osmosis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So my question is, is everything i'm doing on the New 3DS a waste of time? Will I lose all of my CIA downloads and have to download them again? Will I lose my save files and be unable to use them once I transfer the system? Would I have to redo everything?

No.

It's simply a matter of time before Gateway releases the 9.6 emuNAND update. Until then, wait.

You did the right thing. (I assume this is what you really want to know)

You have a new system prepared with Gateway3DS and you're now waiting to do a system transfer. You're correct that you will need emuNAND 9.6 to do so... so... wait. (sorry!)

Dump your cartridge ROMS backup your sysNAND and extract savedata from everything else but the older system. Then, when you get 9.6 emuNAND update, move on.

There are some here who have been messing around with not having to have 9.6 working, but at this point it's still not fully functional or just a pain to do anyhow.

Just be patient. Don't let your new system burn a hole in your pocket.

But you get a pat on the back for doing the right thing. :yaysp:

sacredshinobi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No.

It's simply a matter of time before Gateway releases the 9.6 emuNAND update. Until then, wait.

You did the right thing. (I assume this is what you really want to know)

You have a new system prepared with Gateway3DS and you're now waiting to do a system transfer. You're correct that you will need emuNAND 9.6 to do so... so... wait. (sorry!)

Dump your cartridge ROMS backup your sysNAND and extract savedata from everything else but the older system. Then, when you get 9.6 emuNAND update, move on.

There are some here who have been messing around with not having to have 9.6 working, but at this point it's still not fully functional or just a pain to do anyhow.

Just be patient. Don't let your new system burn a hole in your pocket.

But you get a pat on the back for doing the right thing. :yaysp:

Well I guess here is what i'm confused on

1. I dumped all my game carts and backed up my sysNAND. You are saying to extract my savedata but i'm not entirely sure how I do that.

2. So when I do update to 9.6 when it's working, and I do a system transfer, any CIA's I installed WILL be removed and I will have to install them again right? i'm assuming I can easily just put the save back and play it like it was before?

3. How does the whole nintendo network id thing work? If I play a game online on my New 3DS and then do a system transfer later won't my friend code be different? Will the game save still work since it was used before on a different friend code? Will I have the same save data just with a different friend code?

Osmosis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you made ROM dumps then the savedata should be in them unless they are NAND games like Pokemon.

.CIA games (eShop games or downloaded games) don't use headers. So no Ban Hammers or having to get headers.

The most important thing will be doing a system transfer onto your new system with Gateway.

Search the forum. I think I even asked this a while ago.

I think getting the savedata from the old system is simply a matter of copying the SD card onto a mSD and popping it in after you transfer.

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP

Make a copy of your old system's SD card. Leave it alone. Just in case things go wrong.

You will have to re-download all your eShop games and unwrap them when you transfer to the new system. The savedata should just reconnect when you put in the SD card.

Not sure... Again, look on how to do a system transfer onto gateway system.

sacredshinobi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you made ROM dumps then the savedata should be in them unless they are NAND games like Pokemon.

.CIA games (eShop games or downloaded games) don't use headers. So no Ban Hammers or having to get headers.

The most important thing will be doing a system transfer onto your new system with Gateway.

Search the forum. I think I even asked this a while ago.

I think getting the savedata from the old system is simply a matter of copying the SD card onto a mSD and popping it in after you transfer.

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP

Make a copy of your old system's SD card. Leave it alone. Just in case things go wrong.

You will have to re-download all your eShop games and unwrap them when you transfer to the new system. The savedata should just reconnect when you put in the SD card.

Not sure... Again, look on how to do a system transfer onto gateway system.

Well i'm fine with backing up the save files and then installing the CIA's again.

What i'm more confused about is playing online. How do I use my Nintendo Network ID on my New 3DS? Once I do a system transfer will my old save be incompatible because I used a different friend code while playing that game?

Anyways, I really do appreciate your help!

Osmosis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Osmosis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basically, once you transfer, the old 3DS system will become unlinked from your Nintendo ID. It will go back to factory defaults and not have a Nintendo ID. After it has transfered to the new system, all your eShop games will become available for re-download onto the new system. Hence needing to keep a backup of your SD card so you can bring it over to the new 3DS.

Then just use Gateway to reconnect the savedata, and move on with life.

But wait till you can use 9.6 emuNAND. The transfer DOES REQUIRE IT.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s