Gaming Is it a good idea to buy the Xbox 360 now or I should wait?

Ashlee

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, a friend of mine sells me the xbox 360 for $210 dollars. It is hacked, but I'm not sure if it is the one that will suffer of the red ring of death, I'm not sure if the hard drive is the 120GB either. Well, I wanted to buy it but I am not sure if I should wait for the slim version because I don't know if it will be hackable.
I want to buy it because I would like to play some games, and because after all, I don't know how to hack the xbox by myself, and I think I won't be able to hack the slim either if possible
closedeyes.gif

I hope answers, thanks
happy.gif

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ashlee said:
Hello, a friend of mine sells me the xbox 360 for $210 dollars. It is hacked, but I'm not sure if it is the one that will suffer of the red ring of death, I'm not sure if the hard drive is the 120GB either. Well, I wanted to buy it but I am not sure if I should wait for the slim version because I don't know if it will be hackable.
I want to buy it because I would like to play some games, and because after all, I don't know how to hack the xbox by myself, and I think I won't be able to hack the slim either if possible
closedeyes.gif

I hope answers, thanks
happy.gif
What kind of hack. Flashed or JTAGed. If its a JTAG, I would go for it. If its a flash, then you can get the Slim and someone could flash it for you for $20-$50.

Ashlee

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fudgenuts64 said:
Ashlee said:
closedeyes.gif

I hope answers, thanks
happy.gif
What kind of hack. Flashed or JTAGed. If its a JTAG, I would go for it. If its a flash, then you can get the Slim and someone could flash it for you for $20-$50.

Sorry, I don't know about that
closedeyes.gif
But he said that the games can be loaded from the hard disk, or was it the hard drive? or What do you mean? I have no idea about flashed and jtaged, sorry
frown.gif

Fudge

Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ashlee said:
fudgenuts64 said:
Ashlee said:
closedeyes.gif

I hope answers, thanks
happy.gif

closedeyes.gif
But he said that the games can be loaded from the hard disk, or was it the hard drive? or What do you mean? I have no idea about flashed and jtaged, sorry
frown.gif

If the games can be loaded from the HDD, then its JTAGed. I would go for it. Did your friend include info on how to transfer game to the HDD?

Ashlee

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fudgenuts64 said:
Ashlee said:
fudgenuts64 said:
Ashlee said:
closedeyes.gif

I hope answers, thanks
happy.gif

closedeyes.gif
frown.gif

If the games can be loaded from the HDD, then its JTAGed. I would go for it. Did your friend include info on how to transfer game to the HDD?
No, but I will ask him, please help me more
happy.gif
, How should the games be transfered to the HDD? So I can ask him
smile.gif
Sorry for asking to many questions, but I would like to buy something that is worth it
smileipb2.png

Thank you for helping me
bow.gif

Fudge

Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ashlee said:
fudgenuts64 said:
Ashlee said:
fudgenuts64 said:
Ashlee said:
closedeyes.gif

I hope answers, thanks
happy.gif

closedeyes.gif
frown.gif

No, but I will ask him, please help me more
happy.gif
, How should the games be transfered to the HDD? So I can ask him
smile.gif
Sorry for asking to many questions, but I would like to buy something that is worth it
smileipb2.png

Thank you for helping me
bow.gif
You will need a transfer cable. Follow this tutorial on how to transfer games to your HDD: http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/topic/2307...isc-needed-tut/.

Ashlee

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you very much fudgenuts64, you are really helpful
bow.gif

I have to sleep, I will ask more questions later because I still would like to know some things.

Please don't close my topic yet
frown.gif

Again, thank you fudgenuts64, good night
happy.gif

DEagleson

Gamer Extraordinaire
Trophies
Website
raptr.com
XP
Country
Norway
If its truly a JTAG you can also replace the internal HDD with just about any 2.5" notebook HDD that fits.
smile.gif

Mine it 500gb, and i also use a 2TB external HDD for regular 360 games.
JTAGs are sweet, but you cant use Xbox Live.
At least the DVD flashed Xbox 360 consoles have a chance as long as the DVD firmware is very recent and they only play 100% verified games after official launch.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just a note if it is JTAG hacked then you do not need a hard drive reader- any number of homebrew applications (xexmenu is the big one for many people) then you have FTP available to you. It will probably be your hard drive on the PC that slows you down and you also have the option of USB hard drives.

olliepop2000

Trophies
XP
Country
If I stick a 1TB hdd in a caddy will my jtagged xbox NXE see the drive or would only homebrew like Freestyle Dash/Xexmenu see it? Sorry silly question I only recently jtagged it.
Edit: I mean the Dealextreme plug on type caddy.
This one

Ashlee

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello guys, I have two more questions, I don't want to bother too much, but it is the easiest way to know the answers haha.

1. If the Xbox loads games from a hard disk or hard drive is Jtagged, then?

I have another question,

2. If the Xbox is flashed or jtagged, and the red ring appears, the Xbox won't work anymore, or it only won't read DVDs?, and, How do Iknow if my friend's Xbox will suffer of this? In case I want to buy it
smile.gif

Thanks
happy.gif

Fudge

Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ashlee said:
Hello guys, I have two more questions, I don't want to bother too much, but it is the easiest way to know the answers haha.

1. If the Xbox loads games from a hard disk or hard drive is Jtagged, then?

I have another question,

2. If the Xbox is flashed or jtagged, and the red ring appears, the Xbox won't work anymore, or it only won't read DVDs?, and, How do Iknow if my friend's Xbox will suffer of this? In case I want to buy it
smile.gif

Thanks
happy.gif
1. Yes, if it can load games from a HDD, its a JTAG
2. If you get the RROD, Your Xbox won't work anymore.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@olliepop2000 unless it changed in the last updates the only thing the external drive will see is what NXE normally sees with external drives.
One of those cases (a proper 360 case) then NXE will treat it as a normal xbox hard drive (except without the size limits stock 360s have). Whether it sees the games will depend on how you put them on there- GOD installs will appear almost like XBLA games, you can use forwards of a sort (shortcut containers) for some things and if you stick it in the GAMES or some other folder you are left with XEXmenu and the like to load it with. Note you can get patches/hacks to launch freestyle dash (or anything really) on boot (and then drop back to NXE if you want): http://www.xbins.org/nfo.php?file=xboxnfo1849.nfo

@Ashlee it seems fudgenuts64 already went but as I am here.
1) Not sure what you mean here.

2) If you mean a "normal" RROD then it is like any other 360 (RROD is what happens for many errors, the amount of lights that appear and what they mean (as well as any on screen error) details the problem at hand. Some 360 models (zephyr mainly) have the E79 error on occasion (it is to do with the hack, there are some workarounds starting to become available though) and all you really do there is reboot and probably have to redo settings like you would on 360 just out of the box.
http://gbatemp.net/t193168-considering-a-3...p;#entry2427152 might be worth a read on the "regular" RROD.

Ashlee

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys one more question, if I buy the JTAG Xbox, I know that I won't be able to play online, but, Will I be able at least to enter to the store? Because I am willing to pay for DLC downloads, but I don't know if I will be able to buy stuff or not, please help me
closedeyes.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you so much as touch live with a JTAG box then a ban will happen. It will not happen right away but it will not take long (4 hours is the usual number we give out when this question is asked). DVD hacked 360s (assuming they are not JTAG hacked as well) theoretically can go on all they want but about once a year MS will usually figure out a way to detect a flashed drive and thus trigger a banwave.

If however you want to buy it anyway then you might be able to sort something via http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/ca...p;rl=0&p=1# though*. For what it is worth though do note that much of the DLC on live is free on stuff like the PC, just something to consider.

*I am assuming they have a queue to download something from and you pay to add to that queue.

Ashlee

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FAST6191 said:
If you so much as touch live then a ban will happen. It will not happen right away but it will not take long (4 hours is the usual number we give out when this question is asked).

If however you want to buy it anyway then you might be able to sort something via http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/ca...p;rl=0&p=1# though*. For what it is worth though do note that much of the DLC on live is free on stuff like the PC, just something to consider.

*I am assuming they have a queue to download something from and you pay to add to that queue.

Thank you FAST6191, but I didn't understand too much, this is a little confusing in my opinion
wacko.gif
forgive me please
closedeyes.gif

But, in few words, Could I install DLC games similar to a hacked Nintendo Wii in which people just download Wiiware games from the Internet and they install them on the Wii to play them right away
lecture.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You said you still wanted to play DLC and wanted to pay, I was figuring you could use that as an honesty jar/penance box of sorts.

If however you mean can I run DLC by downloading it then have at it (abgx run a nice database of DLC as well: http://www.abgx.net/filename/?ch=14 ), you install it in the same way you install XBLA titles (stick the numbered folder that is not 0000000000000000 (most come without it but a few do) in the \content00000000000000 folder on the hard drive.

Only troublesome thing about DLC compared to XBLA is you will usually have to visit a site like http://xbuc.clanvids.net/ (down right now but usually a good source of updates), there are others though in places like http://digiex.net/downloads/download-cente.../title-updates/ . Good DLC groups will bundle the relevant title update though.

Not strictly relevant to the matter at hand but http://360.kingla.com/ is a good site when you start moving in those circles.

Ashlee

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Infinite Zero said:
I'm sorry but while i was reading topics i thought it was "Is it a good idea to Microwave an Xbox or I should wait?"
wacko.gif

Haha, maybe it can't fit in my microwave
biggrin.gif

QUOTE(FAST6191 @ Jun 26 2010, 02:05 AM) You said you still wanted to play DLC and wanted to pay, I was figuring you could use that as an honesty jar/penance box of sorts.

If however you mean can I run DLC by downloading it then have at it (abgx run a nice database of DLC as well: http://www.abgx.net/filename/?ch=14 ), you install it in the same way you install XBLA titles (stick the numbered folder that is not 0000000000000000 (most come without it but a few do) in the \content000000000000000 folder on the hard drive.

Only troublesome thing about DLC compared to XBLA is you will usually have to visit a site like http://xbuc.clanvids.net/ (down right now but usually a good source of updates), there are others though in places like http://digiex.net/downloads/download-cente.../title-updates/ . Good DLC groups will bundle the relevant title update though.

Not strictly relevant to the matter at hand but http://360.kingla.com/ is a good site when you start moving in those circles.

Thank you very much, well to be honest, I would like to install DLC content from the Internet, but I thought that it could not be possible for the Xbox 360, and I would like to pay if not possible, but now I think that I don't know what I am going to do, it seems too difficult haha
closedeyes.gif
But, thanks for your help, I really appreciate it
happy.gif

Perseid

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You really need to ask for sure whether the 360 is JTAG hacked or just DVD firmware hacked.

If the 360 is just DVD drive hacked you can buy all the DLC you want until the 360 gets banned, which you can almost be guaranteed it will within a few months to a year or so. If it is JTAG hacked, never take it online for anything, ever. But that's OK because you can pirate all the DLC you want.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The mutated Axolotl was awesome