Is it a good idea to buy a new 3DS just for hacking purposes?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Pacheko17, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Pacheko17
    OP

Pacheko17 かっこい男の子

Jan 31, 2015
    Brazil
    Southern Confederation
    Hey guys, so I recently I have been wanting to hack my 3DS using the tubehax exploit, but I don't want to risk losing anything at all, because I have a bunch of eShop games and DLC for Smash. So is it a good idea to get a new one just for hacking or am I safe with only one console?

2. sat

sat GBAtemp Regular

Aug 25, 2014
    Pretty much what I did. I got lucky and found a used old 3ds with 9.0 on Craigslist for 100.

3. Pacheko17
    OP

Pacheko17 かっこい男の子

Jan 31, 2015
    Brazil
    Southern Confederation
    I am in Brazil right now, so they are WAAAYY too expensive here, but I really don't wanna wait till I go back to Japan. I'll sell my long hair on friday and get one that a friend of mine is selling, it's a normal 3DS XL.

4. Cornholio309

Cornholio309 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 23, 2013
    United States
    What kind of homebrew are you in for? If it's just emulation, than buying a new 3DS isn't worth it at all. SNES emulation is really good at the moment, but everything is still in it's early stages. You'd be better off grabbing an Android device or a used PSP in good condition, since emulation on both of these devices is currently a lot better. This isn't to say you should shrug off the 3DS' emulation scene as a whole, but at the moment? Not worth bothering with unless you're curious or you're mostly interested in SNES emulation (but even that isn't perfect - DKC2 doesn't boot on BlargSNES).

I should also mention that you also really can't lose anything by placing homebrew on your 3DS. You can install Tubehax and try out all the homebrew you like, the just delete the homebrew content off of your SD card or changes the DNS. Bam! Nintendo won't know anything about it, and it won't effect anything of yours in any negative way since it doesn't do any permanent changes to the system that Nintendo could pick up. I'd recommend you try doing this to get a taste of 3DS homebrew and see if you like it so far.

You will have to update if you want to play online though or visit the eShop again, and chances are the exploit will be patched up in that update.

5. Pacheko17
    OP

Pacheko17 かっこい男の子

Jan 31, 2015
    Brazil
    Southern Confederation
    Hmm... I am curious about the emulation scene, but I really want to try everything out, like I did with the Wii. I never had problems with my Wii though.

6. Cornholio309

Cornholio309 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 23, 2013
    United States
    If you want to try everything out, I'd really just recommend installing Tubehax now on your current 3DS. Follow some tutorials to set it up on your 3DS, and then download the homebrew you want to use.

Again, Nintendo cannot affect your 3DS in any negative way if you do this (like ban you from the eShop), and then you'd still have access to the eShop. The worst Nintendo can do is force you to update to use the eShop, but they haven't released an update yet from my knowledge. This means you could install the exploit but still do whatever you want online.

You would have to determine if it's worth staying on your current firmware or upgrading though should Nintendo release an update. I think trying out Tubehax would give you the option to play around with what you want, and then you can upgrade if they ever need you to. You could also just grab everything you own off of the eShop, get Tubehax, and stay on that firmware until smealum confirms another exploit if you want. That's assuming you have everything you really want on the eShop at the moment, and there aren't any future releases you're looking forward to.

7. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    One 3DS is fine for now for basic homebrew. If you want a dedicated homebrew platform for emulation and the like, I'd actually recommend a PSP for now. The 3DS homebrew scene will become more interesting, but that will be further down the road.

8. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    You'll eventually have to update your main system and nintendo is sure to patch ninjhax 2. It would be wise to get a second system when you return to japan. It's okay to hack your current system with tube hax and see if you like it: Nintendo's not going to do anything to harm it.