1. robco7

OP robco7 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Slovakia
    Now that the wiiuisos site is dead, I'm worried about something happening to my console, but also my external hard drive. I didn't think to get back ups of some of the games I got from that site, so now all I have is the stuff I installed to my external drive. Is it a good idea to get a 2nd hard drive, or SD card or USB stick, or whatever else you could store your installed injects on?

2. CMDreamer

CMDreamer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mexico
    It is for sure, hard drives are prone of failing at some point depending on many factors.

Cloning the hard drive would work on your case; as long as all it's identifiers are there, the WiiU should recognize it and use it without any problem.

E1ite007, jeannotte and robco7 like this.
  3. CORE

CORE 3:16

United Kingdom
    Always have a Backup of a Backup.

E1ite007, jeannotte and Lostbhoy like this.
  4. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    No. Keep the installable .app/.h3 files instead. More useful to have in case you format the Wii U and the files on the HDD stop working, or someone wants you to hack their Wii U for them.

jeannotte, alexander1970 and robco7 like this.
  5. robco7

OP robco7 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Slovakia
    That's what I thought, unfortunately some of the injects I have installed seem to be unavailable to download anywhere, since xs4all was the only one posting them, and all his stuff got taken down.

Do you mean clone the external hard drive, or the console's NAND? I already have a backup of the system's hard drive, but I haven't done it recently.

Last edited by robco7, May 15, 2020
  6. MrCokeacola

MrCokeacola The Xbox Guy

Canada
    I backed up my 500gb HDD with the Wii U itself as it lets you copy games to a 2nd HDD if you plug both in at the same time. Cloning the drive would be faster as the process on the Wii U took a whole day.

robco7 likes this.
  7. Jayinem81

Jayinem81 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    It doesn't hurt, but if your Wii U were to go out it wouldn't help at all because that external hard drive or the backup of it will only work on the Wii U it's formatted on. So if you lose your Wii U somehow you still lose your games. Better to keep a backup of your saves and of the installable files.

Last edited by Jayinem81, May 15, 2020
    MrCokeacola likes this.
  8. CMDreamer

CMDreamer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mexico
    I meant about the external hard drive ofc.

Now that you have all the games you want already "installed", might be a good idea to have a backup of all that, so no to have to reinstall everything back again, which to be honest, takes way too long.

robco7 likes this.
  9. lafleche

lafleche GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    But as stated above... If your wiiu fails that backup fails on replacement wiiu.

Personally I have copies of all wud files (in wux format) on my Nas and USB drive.
    Yes... It is a pain to reinstall but I guess it is of more use to have the source material.

robco7 likes this.
  10. V10lator

V10lator GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    robco7 likes this.
  11. Desraptor

Desraptor Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    Normaly a hdd is best choise for holding data. A not in use hdd will hold them for more then over 10 years, if nothing special happens.

Keep games as Install files:
    The price for a Backup HDD is very low. If u backup the wud files for reinstall on an 3,5" HDD, the actaul cost will be around 65€ for a 2TB ( seagate baracuda for example, or about 90€ for 4TB). A externel 2,5" USB3.0 ist more expensive.

Clone the Drive:
    U can copy the Games from one Drive to another with the Wii U function.
    Because of the own Format of the Wiiu u need a HDD with same Partition size of your Gamedrive, u cant select a specific Partiton on the Wiiu.

There a way of getting still the wii u games.
    1. Using Wiiu USB Helper with aworkaround for getting Backups of your Games for new install
    gbatemp.net/threads/working-fix-easy-install-wii-u-usb-helper-0-6-1-655.535214/

Last edited by Desraptor, Jun 8, 2020
    robco7 likes this.
  12. Jayinem81

Jayinem81 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    You might want to edit out that last suggestion you can't list pirated sites here.

Desraptor likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - external, drive, games