is it a bad idea to install a game .cia to NAND instead of SD and why?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Darthlink9, May 25, 2016.

1. Darthlink9
    OP

Darthlink9 GBATemp Resident Heartbreaker

Feb 18, 2016
    United States
    Nearby
    title should say it all. my 3ds (o3dsxl Zelda ALBW bundle) is running A9LH and updated sysnand to 11.0. the nand is around 407 MB or so. would I brick my 3ds if I installed a game to it? could I even get to the game if I installed to NAND and not SD? thanks in advance, and sorry if this is a dumb question.

2. BabyBichu

BabyBichu GBAtemp Regular

Mar 30, 2016
    United States
    Haven't tried that.
    I'm afraid the NAND(Largest one is 1888 MB,maybe most or all of the size r System Things) is not capable of a game,let alone a large one.

3. Nintendo Fanboy

Nintendo Fanboy GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 6, 2015
    United States
    In Los Santos, GTA: San Andreas.
    Here, this this find it's way into your mind.
    You won't even be able to copy 3DS games to nand It's for twl.
    Also, 400 something megabytes? Are you gonna risk all that space?
    It's best you install to your card. You don't want a bricked console, do you?

4. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    Only gba VC (I think) and dsi ware install to nand.

5. Darthlink9
    OP

Feb 18, 2016
    United States
    Nearby

harvest moon 3D a new beginning is 300 Mb, as an example. yes, i'd risk the space, so long as I could still play my game. I've only got an 8GB SD card anyway.
    also, how/why would it brick my console?

FBI has an "install to nand" option. GBA VC does indeed install to nand, don't know about DSiware, pretty sure it does too.

6. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    only DSiware and system titles are installed to NAND, everything else (including GBA) is installed to SD.

7. ih8ih8sn0w

ih8ih8sn0w Koreaboo

Aug 22, 2015
    United States
    Hell
    I would assume that FBI fails to install a CIA to NAND if it doesn't belong there... NGL, this makes me curious, and I want to try it with an emulator. Making NAND Backups and I will get back once that is done and I have either bricked or failed...

8. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    i think someone who i did a nand mod for had mario 3D land installed to the nand, i remember being a bit thrown off seeing it on the homescreen while there was no SD inserted, everything seemed to be working fine with it there, but personally i wouldn't recommend it just because *reasons*

9. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    dude seriously, delete an old game or buy a bigger sd card. dont mess around in nand.

10. justln

justln GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 16, 2013
    How cheapskate/desperate would you be to risk bricking your 3DS instead of buying a bigger capacity card which is cheap as hell these days?

11. ih8ih8sn0w

ih8ih8sn0w Koreaboo

Aug 22, 2015
    United States
    Hell
    Ok, installed the mgba retroarch core (first thing i saw that I could test functionality with)... It does not appear on the home screen after reboot. It is listed with the TWL System Apps and launching causes the Hold power button error

Edit: installing an update CIA appears under the 3ds part of the NAND list in FBI, but the game does not use the update (tested with OR 1.4)

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Someone has to ask these questions. This could be useful some day...

Last edited by ih8ih8sn0w, May 25, 2016
  12. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Best case scenario you end up with a black square on your home menu that you can't get rid of (except for finding the culprit and uninstalling it). I don;t think you'd be able to play a 3DS game installed to your NAND.

13. Nintendo Fanboy

Nintendo Fanboy GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 6, 2015
    United States
    In Los Santos, GTA: San Andreas.
    It could brick your console because some mean dick out there might just rename an important system title, somehow change the size, and have it either corrupted, or full of malicious stuff.
    That's why installing to the SD card is for the best, because if it isn't a system title. But is still corrupted, you can fix by taking your SD card.

14. urherenow

urherenow GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2009
    United States
    Japan
    You are WAY outdated. FBI doesn't have that option anymore because it does not need it. It finally puts things right where they belong, and works with DLC (it did not before).

For the OP: Just No. You can't. Not without rebuilding the .cia yourself with a modified rfs (or whatever it's called). The directory matching the TitleLow for commercial 3DS games doesn't even exist in nand. It's created on SD.

Last edited by urherenow, May 25, 2016
    Quantumcat likes this.
  15. LinkSoraZelda

LinkSoraZelda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2015
    United States
    Land of the Rising Orange
    It's possible to install some .cias to NAND. Stuff like GBA games won't boot though, and come up with "the SD Card was removed" upon boot. But yeah, it's possible to.

16. Darthlink9
    OP

Feb 18, 2016
    United States
    Nearby
    how about I have $0.40 in my bank and can't afford one? also, I don't get paid.

17. Monty Kensicle

Monty Kensicle Yay!

Aug 4, 2008
    United States
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    Bank accounts usually require a minimum balance otherwise they consider the account closed...

Anyway, do you want one of us to donate an old SD card to you?

18. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Maybe think about getting a job or getting on unemployment benefit. How do you eat/pay rent/etc?

19. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    I have better idea. Buy a bigger SD card, this isn't 2004 anymore, you can get a 64GB Class 10 SD card from Wal*Mart right now for maybe 30$ max.

20. Monty Kensicle

Monty Kensicle Yay!

Aug 4, 2008
    United States
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    Plot Twist: OP is actually a small poodle-chihuahua mix and that is why they can't afford an SD card.

Quantumcat likes this.