Is is true that having many stuff on desktop slows performance?

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I have over a hundrer of GB of data "stored" on my desktop in distinct folders.
Is it true that having many files on desktop will slow down the performance of software?

PS: Don't come with "you have to kill process in the background" stuff because that's not what I'm asking.

Solution
Probably not, the desktop folder is just like any other folder except that it's contents are always shown on your desktop so they have to be loaded every time your desktop loads just like when opening any other folder in a file manager

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Probably not, the desktop folder is just like any other folder except that it's contents are always shown on your desktop so they have to be loaded every time your desktop loads just like when opening any other folder in a file manager

Solution

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Yes,definitely.
Maybe with todays powerful Multicore/Thread CPU´s and ultrafast SSD´s it is not so noticeable.But if you have Tons of Folders and Data inside it still can slow down your Overall System Performance.Maybe an 64-bit OS handle it better than a 32-bit OS.Also RAM is maybe an Key Factor.

JuanMena

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
So, that means that... it might?
As you said that the desktop has to load everything it has on it.

Would you recommend me to put my files in their designed folders C://User/Documents [Images] [Music] [Videos]

JuanMena

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@alexander1970 That might explain why all the time I'm experiencing slow performance (sometimes) again... I have over 100GB of data on the desktop. I guess I'm going to move some stuff to their designed folders.

Ok so... I wouldn't like to choose a best answer because both helped me. So I might let a mod to choose the best answer.

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Well it might only when the desktop is loading so when your system starts / your desktop reloads, after that it shouldn't make a difference from being in any other folder on the same drive

JuanMena

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Just finished moving my stuff to their new folders. And I'm drawing with a A4 size. I'm experiencing less lag than yesterday. So it might (or might not) be true, but it feels better now.
Thank you both for your answers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision +1