Homebrew Is is possible to take a nand backup from a broken 3ds and dump contents of that backup?

HudU_

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi! Similar to the thread I posted the other day on restoring a nand backup on another system, is it possible to take contents from a nand backup that isn't yet decrypted? Or how to decrypt a nand backup?

For Context- im in contact with someone that has a broken 3ds, but before it broke, he got a nand backup. The reason this matters is because the 3ds had an unreleased title on it, not yet dumped to the public. (Trust me, I searched everywhere, and I can only find news articled on it from 2010/11, its a tech demo)

The 3ds isn't soft bricked but rather has a couple broken data point contacts on the system which won't allow it to boot, as seen in the picture file.

If im also correct on this, the 3ds also may have issues about writing the nand itself after the system was bricked but im not 100 percent sure. (I could be wrong on this and maybe they might've not known what they were doing but im not sure)

Ill also take suggestions on how we can get the 3ds fixed because as of now, I think it blue screens and does other things that won't allow it to boot. (I don't have too many details and are going off of their old thread posts)

If you want to contact me/have any way to help, (because im going to try to get this game dumped, along with the original person and you may want the rom), im @HudU1801 on twitter.

Attachments

• jzuihZp.jpg
    jzuihZp.jpg
    756.6 KB · Views: 189

HudU_

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi! Similar to the thread I posted the other day on restoring a nand backup on another system, is it possible to take contents from a nand backup that isn't yet decrypted? Or how to decrypt a nand backup?

For Context- im in contact with someone that has a broken 3ds, but before it broke, he got a nand backup. The reason this matters is because the 3ds had an unreleased title on it, not yet dumped to the public. (Trust me, I searched everywhere, and I can only find news articled on it from 2010/11, its a tech demo)

The 3ds isn't soft bricked but rather has a couple broken data point contacts on the system which won't allow it to boot, as seen in the picture file.

If im also correct on this, the 3ds also may have issues about writing the nand itself after the system was bricked but im not 100 percent sure. (I could be wrong on this and maybe they might've not known what they were doing but im not sure)

Ill also take suggestions on how we can get the 3ds fixed because as of now, I think it blue screens and does other things that won't allow it to boot. (I don't have too many details and are going off of their old thread posts)

If you want to contact me/have any way to help, (because im going to try to get this game dumped, along with the original person and you may want the rom), im @HudU1801 on twitter.

Quick note- I dont have the backup YET, but they said they would send it to me once they got back to their house soon.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
is it the dev console that someone was asking for help with a while back?

anyway, if it is i did give the person all the advice he would need, he would be able to put his nand backup on a SD card, then use godmode9 via NTRhax to dump the contents of the nand back to the SD card decrypted, you can even create an emunand SD card with the nand backup to be able to boot the system and use it, but you would need to use NTRhax every time you want to boot the console

Last edited by gamesquest1,
Reactions: HudU_

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
nope, afaik even if the nand chip is unreadable, NTRboot has will launch before the nand is even accessed (you just need a compatible NTRboot flashcard, and iirc there is a separate build required for dev systems, thats available on the NTRboothax GitHub), then you can either decrypt/dump the contents of the nand backup to the SD card, or boot into emunand

HudU_

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nope, afaik even if the nand chip is unreadable, NTRboot has will launch before the nand is even accessed (you just need a compatible NTRboot flashcard, and iirc there is a separate build required for dev systems, thats available on the NTRboothax GitHub), then you can either decrypt/dump the contents of the nand backup to the SD card, or boot into emunand
Ill let the person that has the 3ds know. But In the mean time (because im trying to help) would it matter if I tried to decrypt the NAND on my 3ds?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
impossible, the nand is encrypted with the keys in his console, the decryption needs to be done on his console, unless he also dumped the keys, which if its the same guy (and im pretty sure it is) he didn't have them

he was also pretty unwilling to actually try arrange any of the steps suggested to him, i did give him pretty clear steps a few times, i even offered to help him get it done but he wanted to do it himself, but iirc he didn't want to buy a NTRboot has compatible flashcard even though it would only be a few bucks and thats pretty much the only hope he had on recovering any data from the nand backup

HudU_

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
impossible, the nand is encrypted with the keys in his console, the decryption needs to be done on his console, unless he also dumped the keys, which if its the same guy (and im pretty sure it is) he didn't have them

he was also pretty unwilling to actually try arrange any of the steps suggested to him, i did give him pretty clear steps a few times, i even offered to help him get it done but he wanted to do it himself, but iirc he didn't want to buy a NTRboot has compatible flashcard even though it would only be a few bucks and thats pretty much the only hope he had on recovering any data from the nand backup
Thanks for your help!, Ill let him know and see if he'll do it. Hopefully we can get somewhere.

Reactions: gamesquest1

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...