Is is easy to play Phantasy star zero if you don't understand Japa

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by imz, Dec 31, 2008.

1. imz
    OP

Member imz GBAtemp's vigilante

United Kingdom
    I've heard great reviews about this game, and the video's on youtube look fantastic, I really want to play it but I don't understand Japanese one bit. Some games are fairly simple, you don't need to understand all the text in order to play through, is Phantasy star zero an example of this type of game? Or is it hopeless if I don't understand Japanese.

2. ryukyus

Member ryukyus GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yes it is easy to play, but the game is not all it's crack up to be, the battle system is fairly low, I don't know if it just me , the was not what I expected

3. X D D X

Member X D D X GBAtemp Advanced Fan

New Zealand
    You don't need to know Japanese, but experience with the previous Phantasy Star games would help a lot.

4. tinymonkeyt

Member tinymonkeyt GBAtemp brat

United States
    the gameplay doesnt really need any knowledge of jap cuz its just pressing buttons
    but like talking with people and the item list would be a lot more easier if you knew jap

i dont know jap and i think its okay
    (i think theres an english release soon so dont worry!)

5. Zane

Member Zane Ace Wizard

Sweden
    Easily one of the easiest Japanese games, that's playable without any prior knowledge of the language.
    I guess that it's easier for me, since i got PSO 1&2 on GC that i know the menus already, since they're about the same.

Only problem i have are the names of items.

6. updowners

Member updowners lurklurklurk

Australia
    The only bit you need to know japanese for is the items. Everything else should be fine.

7. Reaper

Member Reaper Tͩ͒ͥ̈́ͧ̓͑̆̂

United States
    I was wondering this too. But I'm still going to learn some katakana [​IMG]

8. Kawo

Member Kawo GBAtemp Fan

Italy
    I organize my inventory in the battle field, select every weapon, if 2 weapons are twins I discard one, if 2 weapons have the same graphic but differents name I compare the the stats, more green=win.
    I slow and maybe I drop rares but until someone make a patch is the only way (for me).

The Boomerang is my favorite weapon, is cool and long range, a little weak but still ok.

Edit: the dancey-dancey option online is pure win.

9. sleight

Newcomer sleight Advanced Member

Germany
    I finished the game without any piece of japanese or former phantasy star games experience
    The biggest problem was to find the correct items when i needed them .. ressurection for example

10. dib

Member dib GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Yeah I never played the other Phantasy Stars and cannot read Japanese either. It didn't take long to figure out the menus. Check a couple guides for clarification on some things, like how to organize and initiate a wi-fi game, or the difference between the community and private banks. You'll also want to note a few important items so you can recognize them easily, like the teleporter and resurrection.

Otherwise it's easy to differentiate items and equipment with a bit of trial and error. Like I can recognize the guns I want to use with my character because they have an M looking character in the middle of the name. And once you get online, you can chat in any language and you'll probably be playing with other english speakers anyway.

11. elixirdream

Member elixirdream GBAtemp Legend

Malaysia
    as pointed out by others... you can check some online guides for translation and etc [​IMG]
    therefore, not knowing japanese is not a problem

as for storyline... the storyline is pretty straight forward nothing so spectacular about~! so you actually don't miss anything for not knowing japanese at all...

i would say not knowing japanese only gives you headache on weapon upgrades, mags and missing out some other stuff [​IMG] no big deal [​IMG]

12. davislim

Member davislim GBAtemp Regular

Singapore
    some stuff for ppl who doesn't understand jap like me

tips:
    any multiple choices ingame juz press the 1st choice (i did tat n completed the game(PSZ))
    any weapon tat showing green text when view r stronger than yours
    potion in every game r always the 1st item in inventory (all game)
    mana pot comes after hp potion (all game)
    all store shows wad they seling outside the shop (a sign(all games))
    saving or option r always at the last menu selection

13. VISHI SO FISHI

Member VISHI SO FISHI Cricket My love!

India
    Yep it is !

i finished the whole game and i dont know one bit of japanese..

in the first 1 or 2 hours , u will take some time to learn things and then u will be buzzing through the game!!

if u need any help , i will help you!

14. Kawo

Member Kawo GBAtemp Fan

Italy
    I don't know if you already know but there is a very useful "cheat" in this game.

When you create a new character you can gain a new MAG for the Old.

You put the new MAG in the multi-user-storage then pass to the other and pick up the "gift".

Very useful.