Gaming Is Goldeneye worth getting when I have Black Ops?

KinGamer7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've been thinking about this for a while now. I have Black Ops (on the Xbox 360) and play most of it purely for the multiplayer. From what I've seen from gameplay videos (and even read in some reviews and discussions), the Wii remake of Goldeneye plays very similarly to Call of Duty. I still have the N64 version under my bed should I ever want to play that, so I can still get my fix in that regard. Does Goldeneye on the Wii offer anything particularly unique, gameplay wise, that warrants a purchase?

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GoldenEye is far better than Black Ops. I have the PC version of BO and I prefer GoldenEye any day.

GoldenEye is pretty much an all new game and to be honest I prefer it over the so called n64 "classic", sure its CoD with a Bond skin but its got a lot of character, the levels are well done , good enough story (well compared to CoD) and it does look a lot better if you want to talk about looks.

Also I find the single player re-playability to be a lot better, apart from the first CoD I find the series to be boring second time round where with GoldenEye I have had fun approaching the levels with a different method.

ApolloCheese

the shy guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
i think its a great game and the multiplayer is really addictive. in my opinion its definitely worth getting it...the controls with wiimote and nunchuk are so much smoother than with 360 pad!

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A lot of people have bitched about the motion controls for GoldenEye but I found them to be really well done. I guess some people are bad at games.

ApolloCheese

the shy guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Gaydrian said:
A lot of people have bitched about the motion controls for GoldenEye but I found them to be really well done. I guess some people are bad at games.

motion control is only used for "punching" (nunchuk shaking) which needs getting used to a little and this could be bitched about but i think its ok.
the only thing to complain for me is that running and picking up a weapon are both on a-button. sometimes i pick up a weapon when i try to run...i think you cant change the button configuration for that.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Having played both games extensively, if I had to choose, I'd choose GoldenEye. The online multiplayer is pretty much a bust, but the single-player and local multiplayer are excellent. I never played the N64 version of GoldenEye, so I can't compare. But I know a good game, and GoldenEye is a really great adventure. Don't get me wrong, the story mode of Black Ops is fun, but it's a by-the-numbers CoD game. There's some good dialogue, but it's otherwise unremarkable. The mutliplayer system of Black Ops is tons better than GoldenEye, but unfortunately, the performance is really no better than GoldenEye.

KinGamer7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for all the replies!

The Call of Duty formula is really running dry, but Black Ops is still a really solid game. Online multiplayer is its main strength, and the only thing putting me off Goldeneye is if both games will feel 'samey'. Obviously the engine is nearly identical, and I'm not expecting the Wii remake to top the N64 version in terms of impact. I guess my only main concern is if Goldeneye (particularly the local multiplayer) really stands out on its own without being CoD with a Bond skin (as Gaydrian put quite nicely). Decisions, decisions..
unsure.gif

SFenton

ಠ_ಠ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It does. The insane amount of modifications and tweaks you can make causes it to be potentially different every time..

Also, different objectives for each difficulty. Can't remember of CoD does that but it makes every playthrough fresh

overlay_watch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GoldenEye's single player is extremely impressive and well designed, especially if you want to play stealthy. Really fun, and much tighter and more inventive than Call of Duty, for most part.

Multiplayer, however, is a huge let down. Online is basically a Call of Duty clone without the tight design and worse netcode. Its possible to have fun, and others seem to like it, but its nowhere near as good as it should have been, and if you really like that style of play its best to stick with CoD.

However, as said, if you dig single player do make sure you try out GoldenEye. I had heaps of fun.

Supreme Dirt

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
GoldenEye 007, for me, fully lives up to the original. Yeah, I'll admit the multiplayer could have used a bit more, but all in all I love it so much. Buy it, don't pirate it, support the company.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KinGamer7 said:
...Obviously the engine is nearly identical...

Not sure what you're referring to with that statement, but if you're comparing the visual quality of Black Ops and GoldenEye, Black Ops looks like total shit compared to Golden Eye. Screenshots don't do GoldenEye justice at all. It's not gonna wow you, but you also likely won't be stopped in your tracks by anything outright ugly like you will with Black Ops. I'm not criticizing Activision for their choice to offer a low-res version of the HD games, but it just doesn't work. I think they're trying to appease the younger Wii audience that wants so desperately to feel like part of a bigger social phenomenon, but in the end you just end up with a much more inferior game. Would have loved to see a Black Ops built for Wii. I think it would have fared better.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
ApolloCheese said:
Gaydrian said:

motion control is only used for "punching" (nunchuk shaking) which needs getting used to a little and this could be bitched about but i think its ok.
the only thing to complain for me is that running and picking up a weapon are both on a-button. sometimes i pick up a weapon when i try to run...i think you cant change the button configuration for that.

I had the same problem until I realized that in order to run, you don't have to keep the A button pressed, you just walk forward and quickly press the A button and Bond will start to run until he runs out of breath.
In order to pick up a weapon, you need to KEEP the A button pressed for a second or two.
So what happens is , most people keep the A button pressed to run, and when they run over a weapon they pick it up.
It doesn't have to be that way, and no need to change the button layout, if you use it properly.

To return to the OT, the game IS worth getting, it is just so fun.
Every time you play a mission, you know that you can do it better and better, so there is fun and high replay value IMO.
Non to mention that the game is mostly focused on stealth (which is FUN! ) while with CoD you mostly run trough enemies lines with lots of constant explosions non stop around you and can be really boring ( been ther, done that ).
With GE also there is a lot more satisfaction when you kill enemies, you hear the deft sound bullets hitting them when properly aimed, wich again is a ton of fun !
Also you are Bond ! Not just some soldier................!

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
GeekyGuy said:
KinGamer7 said:
...Obviously the engine is nearly identical...

Not sure what you're referring to with that statement, but if you're comparing the visual quality of Black Ops and GoldenEye, Black Ops looks like total shit compared to Golden Eye. Screenshots don't do GoldenEye justice at all. It's not gonna wow you, but you also likely won't be stopped in your tracks by anything outright ugly like you will with Black Ops. I'm not criticizing Activision for their choice to offer a low-res version of the HD games, but it just doesn't work. I think they're trying to appease the younger Wii audience that wants so desperately to feel like part of a bigger social phenomenon, but in the end you just end up with a much more inferior game. Would have loved to see a Black Ops built for Wii. I think it would have fared better.

I agree, black ops is just a cash game for activision...

KinGamer7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
For clarification, I own the 360 version of Black Ops. When I mentioned the engine similarities, I was talking gameplay-wise instead of the graphical capabilities. I honestly have no issues with the graphics at all with Goldeneye, and frankly I think it will reflect some of the charm of the N64 game. Like I said, the CoD formula is running stale, but the online multiplayer is still a blast to play. The campaign in Goldeneye definitely sounds a lot more enjoyable; the online I could care less about considering it sounds like a carbon copy of CoD's online, which I have on an HD console with a far superior online service. Only thing left to know is how good the local multiplayer is, which is what made the original Goldeneye so memorable. How good is it, honestly? Does it play in a similar fashion to CoD's multiplayer, or lean more favourably to the N64 gem?

Thanks for the responses, by the way. You're all doing a damn good job in convincing me to get this. Keep 'em coming!
wink.gif

shadowsfm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
local multi-player has modifiers like
-sticky grenades
-bouncy grenades
-revenge, where the person that dies a lot gets stronger
-paint ball
-when two people touch, they explode
-some one stops walking they die
-every one is tiny

oddjob can throw his hat instead of grenades

Pete666

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
shadowsfm said:
local multi-player has modifiers like
-sticky grenades
-bouncy grenades
-revenge, where the person that dies a lot gets stronger
-paint ball
-when two people touch, they explode
-some one stops walking they die
-every one is tiny

oddjob can throw his hat instead of grenades

revenge is real fun

the local multiplayer is a blast to play with friend!!!

the single player campaign is awesome!

The best fps on wii

and don't forget, the controls are pretty good

KinGamer7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Local multiplayer is guaranteed to be better than Black Ops, but I'm still on the ropes about this.
unsure.gif

£50 is nothing to shake a stick at (if I do plan on getting Goldeneye, I'll go for the collector's edition, seeing as I need a Classic Controller Pro anyway). I just don't want to pick it up, play it, then realise that I'm playing Call of Duty: Daniel Craig edition.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well I believe I'm about to get hit with a spring sinus infuction
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Shame it wasn't Facebook that paused them
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Musk sues Hyundai in 3... 2... 1...
    +1
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Fucking lame. Thread viewed 1000 times and only one reply that doesnt even answer what I asked.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    You could say the same for a couple or so threads that used to be popular, I guess.
    I mean. All I ask was for people to see if ONE, SINGLE website is working properly in edge. 1000 people see it but cant be bothered at all
    Ready to just leave this place anyway. The amount of shit talking and bullying behavior that goes unchecked is crazy. No where else do I see this shit towards me and others. Not even on reddit have I been talked to like I have here by other members
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I did read the last sentence in your post by the way. Maybe try changing the privacy settings in your browser to standard if that works.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @RedColoredStars, I did read the last sentence in your post by the way. Maybe try changing the...