Gaming Is getting a PSVita TV worth it?

Pacheko17

Controversial opinions guy.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I never had a PSVita and I want to get one so I can play Steins;Gate Zero and I found it to be the cheaper option.

I'm not buying it in Japan, I'll buy it in Brazil which is around R$297 ( $99, ¥9.000~ ). I'll be selling my hair for R$300 and wanted to know if it's worth it to buy one. After I play Steins;Gate Zero, I'll try to get in on the homebrew scene.

Thanks.

tiduscrying

that butt...
Trophies
Website
tiduscrying.wordpress.com
XP
Country
United States
Coming from someone who owns both a normal Vita and the Vita TV, it is most certainly worth it. If you want to get into the Vita scene and access the library of games the Vita has to offer, but can deal with loosing portability, by all means go with the Vita TV. Being cheaper is definitely an advantage of the Vita TV, but you also have to keep in mind that not all games (unfortunately) work on the system. There was a small mod that came out a little while ago that exploited the Vita TV's native email app and loaded a whitelist onto the system, letting it play all Vita games it couldn't before. But I believe that has since been patched. Plus, the homebrew scene on the Vita is still very much a work in progress. There are still no truly native hacks, but instead a lot of PSP mode hacks and hacks that take advantage of the PlayStation Mobile development suite. This isn't to say that there won't be progress on the system in the future, but I wouldn't buy the Vita TV just for the purpose of hacking it at this point.

But yeah, by all means give the Vita TV a go. It's cheap, pretty convenient, and an easy way to get your hands on Steins;Gate Zero when it comes out! (Looking forward to that one, too!)

Reactions: Pacheko17

Pacheko17

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Coming from someone who owns both a normal Vita and the Vita TV, it is most certainly worth it. If you want to get into the Vita scene and access the library of games the Vita has to offer, but can deal with loosing portability, by all means go with the Vita TV. Being cheaper is definitely an advantage of the Vita TV, but you also have to keep in mind that not all games (unfortunately) work on the system. There was a small mod that came out a little while ago that exploited the Vita TV's native email app and loaded a whitelist onto the system, letting it play all Vita games it couldn't before. But I believe that has since been patched. Plus, the homebrew scene on the Vita is still very much a work in progress. There are still no truly native hacks, but instead a lot of PSP mode hacks and hacks that take advantage of the PlayStation Mobile development suite. This isn't to say that there won't be progress on the system in the future, but I wouldn't buy the Vita TV just for the purpose of hacking it at this point.

But yeah, by all means give the Vita TV a go. It's cheap, pretty convenient, and an easy way to get your hands on Steins;Gate Zero when it comes out! (Looking forward to that one, too!)

Oh, I know about the hacking part. It's still pretty young even though it's been a while in development, I think the PSP was like this too, but I don't quite remember it. Just thinking about all the possibilities is great :D Like, full speed N64 emulation will be awesome ( If that happened on the PSP, it will happen on the Vita for sure ). So alrighty then. I don't really know what to waste my money on, so I'll get a Vita TV, and if I don't like it ( Which I probably will like it ), I can just wait a while till it's expensive like everthing else on Brazil and sell it. Profit xD

Reactions: tiduscrying

Pacheko17

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
3 years later and I can say:
Yeah, it's worth it. It was a great little system and it had a good run while it lasted.
I eventually sold it but kinda regret it now.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sony canned it after one year...sad. at least Nintendo went four or five years of low sales with the wii u before they canned that. it makes me wonder if sony would've dropped the ps4 if it hadn't been an instant success...

Tikker

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I like mine, but got it at deep discount, $40 for the pstv, lego game and ds3 and 2x 8gb cards.

It doesn't get a ton of use, but i'm glad I have it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I hate myself