is GBA compatibility really that bad?

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by misticknight, Aug 14, 2006.

Aug 14, 2006
  1. misticknight
    OP

Member misticknight GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    i'm thinking of getting this card now, i was waiting for the M3 lite but i heard the saving on M3 sux and besides its alot more expensive than this card, but i was just wondering, is the GBA compatability on this crap? if its good but just not AS good as M3 i can live with it, but if it basically shouldnt be used for GBA games at all then i think i'll wait for the M3 lite (even thoughi dont really want to anymore). plz answer asap as i really wanna put an order now.

oh and also, is the battery life in this bad, i heard it drains the battery more than m3 does.

2. CatScam

Member CatScam ScamaRama!

United States
    The supercard has about 95% GBA compatibility & about the battery,
    my Supercard & M3 are almost exactly the same as far as battery life.
    And M3’s saves don’t suck, they just first save to battery then to SD.

3. roylazarovich

Newcomer roylazarovich Member

Israel
    I am interested in this issue too.
    Can anyone else confirm that GBA compatibility is that high (95%), if this is the case, than why do I hear people always saying that the SC has bad GBA compatibility, 95% is certainly not bad.

I'd be happy if someone could tell me why, technically, the SC is less compatible with GBA games than the M3, is it lack of memory? slow chip?

4. meangreenie

Banned meangreenie Banned

United Kingdom
    Yes, it's around that. 5 maybe 10 % will have bad slow down.... but !!!

.. today I read about a new way to speed up the ones that do slow-down, like Yoshi's Island. What I found out is if you turn the realtime save/restart patches off in order to speed up gba roms, the pre fetch speed up patch is also turned off.. this I didn't know and Yoshis Island played awfully. (un-playable)

So after reading that I threw Yoshis Island into the SC patcher and patched it with all the advanced options off and then dropped the outputted rom onto the pfpatch.exe available at SCDEV, this made the rom 1kb bigger. The game is now almost flawless!!! with only very rare and very minor and short slowdown (about a micro-second) 99.9999% of it runs excelent now, and it's totally playable.

I never thought Yoshis Island would ever be playable on SC, so I'm quite please to have found this out.

edit.. played further into the game, and unfortantely ther are sections that still slow down quite badly. Oh well, it was virtually perfect for about 4 levels.

5. roylazarovich

Israel
    Hmm... that does sound good.

Will a 60x Ultra II microSD card suffice or will I have to get a faster one?

6. pte

Member pte GBAtemp Regular

Most people go for that (me too) but even a regular 12x vanilla Sandisk has no slowdowns during the Castlevania intro.

7. misticknight
    OP

Australia
    ok GBA sounds good, what about Battery life, i know Catscam said its good but i'd just like to hear a few more opinions, if this is good then theres no point waiting for M3 lite for me anymore, even if its just a few days away, cause i know for sure it'll be quite a bit more expensive.

8. meangreenie

United Kingdom
    I have an EZ4 SC mini and SC CF.. all of them with DS games run slightly less than a real DS cart. A real DS cart on playing something like Mario 64 on my DS phats will last @ 6 hours, the EZ/SC lasts from 5- 5.5 hours, with the SCmini slighly the better of the 3, I don't think that's bad at all.

All of this talk about M3 lasting 2-3 hours longer than SC (with DS games at least) would seem impossible.

9. misticknight
    OP

Australia
    ok that settles it thanks guys i'm going with Supercard Lite. i'm tired of waiting for M3 and SC seems better and cheaper. cant wait.

10. FifthE1ement

Member FifthE1ement GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I have a SuperCard Lite and SuperCard miniSD and both are the best of the best. I wouldn't get an M3 for anything as the SuperCard does DS games better esp the Lite. It also has a better save system and has better support IMO. Plus the price is right and it sits flush in what ever DS you have!

You won't be sorry misticknight but order now so you get a SuperCard Lite once they are in stock!

FifthE1ement [​IMG]

11. misticknight
    OP

Australia
    i am going to order straight away [​IMG] though i dont know if i like the site, i'm only ordering cause they seem to be the cheapest and they ship fast to australia where i'm from so yer, i'll give em a shot anyways. (its www.bamboogaming.com if you were wondering).

i just dont know why i waited this long, i've wasted all this time thinking SC was crap for some reason and M3 was this godly card, wish i had ordered sooner but ah well.

12. roylazarovich

Israel
    I'm starting to lean towards the SC Lite myself, I guess I'll wait for the price on the M3 Lite to be announced and will make my final decision.

I think the M3 fans are making the SC sound like crap and vice versa, what we really need is an un-biased comparison between the two that will take into account NDS compatibility, GBA compatiblity, Battery life, etc...

13. misticknight
    OP

Australia
    well the thing is i would have waited too but apparnatly theres been another delay, it was meant to come out in 2 days or some crap but it doesnt seem like its going to happen (or so i heard) so i'm tired of waiting. and this side loading thing sounds like its gonna be annoying for me having to take out the device every time i wanna take out the SD card to add more games. add that to the price nad i have my winner at least, so m3 can go to hell.

14. pte

Member pte GBAtemp Regular

Well, I have read tons and tons of text about this same thing you are thinking about. First I ordered an M3 miniSD from gamefreax(never use this shop), well... they didn't answer to my emails and I got pretty nervous. Then I faced my next problem... I wasn't able to get a decent miniSD because companies aren't allowed to export them abroad. I couldn't find a good miniSD inside the European Union, heck. That M3 product costed a bit under 100 euros, that is like 120 dollars.

Then I found about this new SC Lite product, I was able to cancel my order phoning the company. Then I ordered an SC Lite and a SuperKey from SuperCardStore.com for 76 euros (inc. shipping+taxes). My country has a very high VAT, 22%. So basically I had to order from an EU country if I wanted to be able to have it without 22% extra taxes added. So, basically I saved 45 euros because that Gamefreax price did not include shipping costs. Now I have a product that supports the microSD standard, which is going to be the standard for every mobile device in the future due to the fact that the SD Card Association decided so. This product also works very well with slower memories, unlike that M3 miniSD adapter.

Basically I saved 45 euros (~60 dollars), got the fastest GBA-slot adapter there is supporting the newest technology.

The GBA support for m3 is better, but I don't need any kind of GBA support. I bought a DS, not a GBA and for me that GBA support is not worth 60 dollars and the trouble finding a good miniSD card. Both cards are equal when it comes to NDS support, owners of both cards use MoonShell for watching video files. Basically it is up to you whether you pay more or less. I paid less and I am very happy with my product. My SC Lite has worked without any problems so far and every game I have tried has actually worked without any problems.

The only difference I see is that icon GUI M3 has. For some it is annoying to have unnecessary steps before getting a game on and some like that it has some graphics in it. Personally I like the SC GUI since it is fast and works well. You get MoonShell or a game running in two seconds. Unless you love watching your GUI all the time, you might like M3 more. For me it would be an annoying slowdown.

I haven't tested how much my SC Lite drains my battery but since it is microSD it should consume less energy than the others.

Basically, if you are willing to pay 40% more for a GBA support... go for it. I tried Advance Wars and it worked perfectly. I think that the GBA support for SC is good enough. Afterall its a DS and I want the DS support to be perfect.

15. misticknight
    OP

Australia
    oh and btw i forgot, should i get Passkey 3 or SUperkey with it? plz answer cause i need to change my order quickly.

16. meangreenie

United Kingdom
    Whatever is the cheapest or has the pretiest label. They are the same product made in the same factory, they are just have a different label/splashscreen.

17. misticknight
    OP

Australia
    oh really thanks i didn't know, guess i'll keep the superkey i ordered then (its the same price as passkey, at least from this store anyways)only cause it seems to go with Supercard (they both have super in the name so it like goes together lol). thanks again man.

18. rkenshin

Member rkenshin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    GBATemp themselves did a comparative review between the M3 and SC a few months back..

DS compatiblity between the two are more or less equal..

My only beef with the SC is that it came out as a GBA flash media cart, so it should've fixed all of those problems prior to focussing in on DS support which was like a year's worth of time (still slowdown in games due to a crap ram chip but at least have near 99.99999% GBA compatibility)

19. ron555

Member ron555 GBAtemp Fan

As a supercard owner, I can tell you with absolute certainty that SC's GBA compatibility is NOT 95%. NOT. EVEN. CLOSE.

20. meteora91

Newcomer meteora91 Advanced Member

Australia
    http://www.rothmans.joskeonline.com/supercardsite/

Check for the GBA games u want to play on the SC.

Personally, for me, a lot of the games i wanted to play on a flashcart were either not working, or working very poorly on the SC. That's why i'm going for an M3.

If you want GBA support go for the M3, if you don't want GBA, then SC Lite is the way to go. Hope that helps.