Hacking Is Gateway Worth It For 2DS?

Slushie3DS

Cold Beverage Lover
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Next month, I will have some extra cash laying around. I was thinking about purchasing a New 3DS, but decided I will wait until they are more matured. I currently have a 2DS, and I enjoy it very much. I know that I am not able to downgrade, so please do not tumble over each other trying to tell me that. I have a general jist of what I will be able to do, but not so much what else.

It'd be nice if you could clear up these questions:
If I purchase the carts, can I run emuNAND from my 8.1 2DS?
With emuNAND, can I install new .CIA?
If I purchase a game, can I back it up, convert it to .CIA, and install it to my emuNAND?

Those are the only questions I really have, and if I can't do the last two, I probably won't purchase it.

lemanuel

Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yes to all with a slight (possible temporary) exception for the 3rd

The altered launcher.dat necessary to get xorpads (necessary to create CIA from your rom) only work currently in 4.x and 9.2 (this one is recent and dunno if it works on other firmware versions).

Other than that, you can create and use emunand in any firmware and console currently supported by GW and you can install CIAs in it as well.

Slushie3DS

Cold Beverage Lover
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes to all with a slight (possible temporary) exception for the 3rd

The altered launcher.dat necessary to get xorpads (necessary to create CIA from your rom) only work currently in 4.x and 9.2 (this one is recent and dunno if it works on other firmware versions).

Other than that, you can create and use emunand in any firmware and console currently supported by GW and you can install CIAs in it as well.

Hmm, it may be worth it. The only reason I ask the third is because my older brother enjoys playing games with me, and I figured I could use the installed game's save data as my own, and he'd be able to use the cartridge for his.

lemanuel

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hmm, it may be worth it. The only reason I ask the third is because my older brother enjoys playing games with me, and I figured I could use the installed game's save data as my own, and he'd be able to use the cartridge for his.

Yeah but being able to convert roms into CIAs is different than being able to install CIAs.

You're able to install them just fine. You can get them online if necessary since they don't really differ from each other (only the modifications that they might have such as being region free or not for example)

So you can still do that.

Slushie3DS

Cold Beverage Lover
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah but being able to convert roms into CIAs is different than being able to install CIAs.

You're able to install them just fine. You can get them online if necessary since they don't really differ from each other (only the modifications that they might have such as being region free or not for example)

So you can still do that.

Wait, you mean full on 3DS roms?

Slushie3DS

Cold Beverage Lover
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what do you mean?

I was stating that most of the reason I wanted to get a Gateway is to back up my games, convert them, and install them to my emuNAND. I figured this would be a solution to the one save file per cartridge issue that my brother and I often run in to. I understand that I can't exactly do this currently because there isn't support for the 2DS. I was curious if you could elaborate on what you mean by downloading .CIA from the web and installing them. I assumed that 3DS games dumps would be somewhat specific to the handheld they were dumped on, and couldn't be played on others.

Edit: I just realized this is in the wrong section. Can you please move this to the Flashcart section, Cyan?

lemanuel

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I was stating that most of the reason I wanted to get a Gateway is to back up my games, convert them, and install them to my emuNAND. I figured this would be a solution to the one save file per cartridge issue that my brother and I often run in to. I understand that I can't exactly do this currently because there isn't support for the 2DS. I was curious if you could elaborate on what you mean by downloading .CIA from the web and installing them. I assumed that 3DS games dumps would be somewhat specific to the handheld they were dumped on, and couldn't be played on others.

Nope. There aren't any specific games to the 2DS. The only real difference between the 3DS and the 2DS is the 3D. If you buy a 3DS game in a store, it will work in your 2DS. Same thing with the roms dumped from those cartridges or the CIAs converted from those roms.

Right now, even with its occasional quirks, GW supports the 2DS and you can play any game there, no matter if it's a rom or a CIA.
The only feature that 3DS users have and that you can't have is the downgrade feature.

You can dump your own cartridge with GW and you'll get yourself a rom of that game. Then you can share it with whoever you want and it will work. It's not bound to the console that dumped the game.

Slushie3DS

Cold Beverage Lover
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope. There aren't any specific games to the 2DS. The only real difference between the 3DS and the 2DS is the 3D. If you buy a 3DS game in a store, it will work in your 2DS. Same thing with the roms dumped from those cartridges or the CIAs converted from those roms.

Right now, even with its occasional quirks, GW supports the 2DS and you can play any game there, no matter if it's a rom or a CIA.
The only feature that 3DS users have and that you can't have is the downgrade feature.

No no no, friend. I mean, what I assumed was that if a friend had dumped and converted a game to .CIA, I assumed that I wouldn't be able to download and install that .CIA because it was dumped from his handheld. Am I correct for assuming that?

lemanuel

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
No no no, friend. I mean, what I assumed was that if a friend had dumped and converted a game to .CIA, I assumed that I wouldn't be able to download and install that .CIA because it was dumped from his handheld. Am I correct for assuming that?

you didn't give me time to edit what I said in order to add more stuff. lol

Well.. read the last part ;)

You can get any game online, as .3ds/.3dz/.cia and it will work in your console.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
not to mention some 2DS users have had trouble on their 2DS reading the games from the gateway card itself......works fine for some, can be a bit off for others....best route for 2DS owners is installing cia files for their games

also just for the record, there is a way to update sysnand to 9.2 if you wanted, which would allow the xorpad generator to be used (just assuming it doesnt work for <9.2 based on comments here, i havent looked into it myself :P)
actually nvm, im not sure updating to 8.x+ is safe to do in gateway mode, quite a few bricks came from that

Reactions: lemanuel

Slushie3DS

Cold Beverage Lover
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you didn't give me time to edit what I said in order to add more stuff. lol

Well.. read the last part ;)

You can get any game online, as .3ds/.3dz/.cia and it will work in your console.
Ah, seems promising. Hopefully, Gateway releases N3DS support soon, then I may just get them together. For now, I may end up getting the carts for my 2DS.

not to mention some 2DS users have had trouble on their 2DS reading the games from the gateway card itself......works fine for some, can be a bit off for others....best route for 2DS owners is installing cia files for their games

also just for the record, there is a way to update sysnand to 9.2 if you wanted, which would allow the xorpad generator to be used (just assuming it doesnt work for <9.2 based on comments here, i havent looked into it myself :P)

The only way that I PERSONALLY know to update to a specific firmware is by inserting a cart with that firmware installed on it. http://3ds.essh.co/ seems to show there are none with that update yet. How exactly could I do that?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Ah, seems promising. Hopefully, Gateway releases N3DS support soon, then I may just get them together. For now, I may end up getting the carts for my 2DS.

The only way that I PERSONALLY know to update to a specific firmware is by inserting a cart with that firmware installed on it. http://3ds.essh.co/ seems to show there are none with that update yet. How exactly could I do that?
yeah i kinda updated my post, you can update manually by downloading specific FW files from the update server, but im pretty sure updating to 8.x+ via rom/manually can cause a brick in sysnand, so i wouldnt recommend it..........i might give it a try later on just to double check but pretty sure people who have tried have bricked (atleast trying to update sysnand to 8.x via a rom in gateway mode doesnt work.....not to sure about updating via cia....but dont try unless your prepared to face a brick XD)

Slushie3DS

Cold Beverage Lover
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah i kinda updated my post, you can update manually by downloading specific FW files from the update server, but im pretty sure updating to 8.x+ via rom/manually can cause a brick in sysnand, so i wouldnt recommend it..........i might give it a try later on just to double check but pretty sure people who have tried have bricked (atleast trying to update sysnand to 8.x via a rom in gateway mode doesnt work.....not to sure about updating via cia....but dont try unless your prepared to face a brick XD)

Hmm, seems a bit sketchy. I may just wait for N3DS support, and buy the shit out if it quickly.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Hmm, seems a bit sketchy. I may just wait for N3DS support, and buy the shit out if it quickly.
well its fine, updating sysnand via any other way than via a retail game in sysnand or internet in sysnand....its never recommended to update sysnand while in gateway mode........its just not a normal thing to do, so its not really recommended.......basic rules of hacking a console is, if you stray from the normal or recommended things start to get more risky, if you have no intention of generating xorpads you will be fine....tbh the xorpad generator will most likely be converted to work on lower firmwares anyway, there no real reason to update sysnand if your on a compatible FW

Slushie3DS

Cold Beverage Lover
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well its fine, updating sysnand via any other way than via a retail game in sysnand or internet in sysnand....its never recommended to update sysnand while in gateway mode........its just not a normal thing to do, so its not really recommended.......basic rules of hacking a console is, if you stray from the normal or recommended things start to get more risky, if you have no intention of generating xorpads you will be fine....tbh the xorpad generator will most likely be converted to work on lower firmwares anyway, there no real reason to update sysnand if your on a compatible FW

True, I understand.

My plan was to get a PS4 with Far Cry 4 and Pokemon AS for my 2DS, but I started thinking about emuNAND. I then thought I'd just get the PS4, Gateway Carts, and wait until next pay for PS4 games. Now, I'm contemplating importing a white New 3DS, and getting Gateway Carts+Pokemon AS just so I can play that until Gateway updates support. Decisions aren't my strongest area.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    When I played Cyberpunk on my old 2080 Ti it sucked lol
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    AMD could introduce something comparable to DLSS but nvidia's got a lot more experience with that
    least amd 7xxx has tensor cores which the previous generations didn't so there is the potential for AI upscaling
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds