ROM Hack Is gameshark style hacking possible using Spider to inject cheat codes?

TidusWulf

Real Aloha
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but if we can inject data into RAM using the web browser, wouldn't that make it pretty easy to implement something like a gameshark website that can inject codes into the games we play? Infinite health in pokemon... maximum bells in Animal Crossing... Infinite Bullet Bills in Mario Kart... You know what I mean?

Reactions: c4p0

TidusWulf

Real Aloha
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, unlike Gameshark, where you need to inject everything at the game's startup, you can easily go back to the browser and make changes on the fly if the webpage was interactive. Heck, even if the webpage wasn't, if you ran an android app that did a hotspot/webserver thing like how people have done with Gateway's Exploit, then you could perhaps make changes in the app, then refresh the page on your 3DS to get the updated code injected.

Run around the grass in pokemon, catch the pokemon you want, and then just hit up the web browser and change the code to another rare pokemon, and go right back at it, no saving or rebooting required.

Reactions: samiam144

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Also, unlike Gameshark, where you need to inject everything at the game's startup, you can easily go back to the browser and make changes on the fly if the webpage was interactive. Heck, even if the webpage wasn't, if you ran an android app that did a hotspot/webserver thing like how people have done with Gateway's Exploit, then you could perhaps make changes in the app, then refresh the page on your 3DS to get the updated code injected.

Run around the grass in pokemon, catch the pokemon you want, and then just hit up the web browser and change the code to another rare pokemon, and go right back at it, no saving or rebooting required.
On-the-fly memory editing is already available for 4.x systems via NTR-CFW and on higher system versions via spider3DStools. But neither are particularly noob friendly.

Applying codes via patching a game at start up are already available features of (once again) the publicly available NTR-CFW, as well as MatthewE and GovanifY's private CFWs. So it's definitely a possibility once we have a free CFW (like KARL3DS) available.

It's actually something that would already be available if someone had the time, skill and motivation to finish Yifan Lu's 80% complete SpiderNinja.
https://github.com/yifanlu/ninjhax/tree/spiderninja

Not working yet. FB debug messages working. spider thread0 rop working. rohax working. code replacement and stuff working. So it's like 80% done. The last thing to do is to clean up spider so replacing 0x100000 doesn't crash the browser (or as a hacky way move all hb code to a high enough address as to not crash anything). This involves finding a way to close the other threads (and/or taking over thread0) as well as closing all handles. It'll take a bit for me to RE unless someone else can contribute. I won't have time for a while.

If you want motivation, imagine a .3dsx GUI application that lets you search and patch game memory live (and develop cheats). Or imagine a menu that let's you select VC rom to inject. Anyways, I hope someone else can pick up development because I don't know when I'll have time to continue this.

Lord M

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
On-the-fly memory editing is already available for 4.x systems via NTR-CFW and on higher system versions via spider3DStools. But neither are particularly noob friendly.

Applying codes via patching a game at start up are already available features of (once again) the publicly available NTR-CFW, as well as MatthewE and Giovifany's(sp?) private CFWs. So it's definitely a possibility once we have a free CFW (like KARL3DS) available.

It's actually something that would already be available if someone had the time, skill and motivation to finish Yifan Lu's 80% complete SpiderNinja.

What? Only NTR-CFW can use codes via plugin... the "other" CFW as i know can't...

darksweet

5.. 4.. 3.. 2.. 1.. OMEGA FLARE
Trophies
XP
Country
so only the chosen few (who holds ninja cubic) can use the patches unlike the pokemon xy and oras pokemon patch who only use the qr scan and
browser exploit

PandaMayFire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This would be an amazing thing to have, I can see a giant cheat system something like the PSP had being developed

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Another govanify cfw? But not available uh... and mathew 9.4 CFW? its real? And available?
Fuck me. I don't think I could be anymore clearer.

But here we go one last time, if you still struggle to understand what I've said, I'm afraid you're on your own.

Applying codes via patching a game at start up are already available features of (once again) the publicly available NTR-CFW, as well as MatthewE and GovanifY's private CFWs. So it's definitely a possibility once we have a free CFW (like KARL3DS) available.

Lord M

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Fuck me. I don't think I could be anymore clearer.

But here we go one last time, if you still struggle to understand what I've said, I'm afraid you're on your own.
Ah ok, i think i understand... we will can receive those function only if who want release/public what LOL (Hoping that they are not too stingy or selfish .__. )

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ah ok, i think i understand... we will can receive those function only if who want release/public what LOL (Hoping that they are not too stingy or selfish .__. )
They won't, but it's on the todo list for number of the developers working on the KARL3DS project.

In fact I think it's been confirmed as having already being implemented.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s