ROM Hack Is Freedoom possible on GBA?

RetroGamer02

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What version of Freedoom are you adapting? Theoretically, older versions are Boom and vanilla compatible and shouldn't require any but minimal changes.
I'm using FreeDoom 0.12.1 its my understanding that they only achieved vanilla compatibility recently is that incorrect?

Last edited by RetroGamer02,

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm using FreeDoom 0.12 its my understanding that they only achieved vanilla compatibility recently is that incorrect?
Quite the opposite. At some point they abandoned Boom/PrBoom compatibility. Starting with version 0.10, if I'm not mistaken. The latest versions are in fact more complex.

RetroGamer02

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Quite the opposite. At some point they abandoned Boom/PrBoom compatibility. Starting with version 0.10, if I'm not mistaken. The latest versions are in fact more complex.
I might need to take a good look at the older versions then thank you very much this could save me a lot of time.

Reactions: Nikokaro

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I just want doom to run at the GBA's full native resolution... It was halved on the cartridge releases and makes everything more pixelated than it already should be. The GBA is powerful enough to run a real PC Doom port, the only real setback is the 32MB size limitation to work around.

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I just want doom to run at the GBA's full native resolution...
I may agree with you, but this is not really the right thread.
I don't know about the topic, but are you sure the little RAM available allows for it?
And since you're a developer, why don't you try your hand at this challenge?:wink:

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I may agree with you, but this is not really the right thread.
I don't know about the topic, but are you sure the little RAM available allows for it?
And since you're a developer, why don't you try your hand at this challenge?:wink:
I don't know GBA coding, or I would.

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
A simple consideration:
I checked the official archive with all the releases.
Apparently since version 0.11 it is no longer compatible with Boom (the simplest Doom engine) while with version 0.12 the compatibility with vanilla Doom (less complex than Boom engine) is said to be almost complete: but this is absurd and incomprehensible!!! :O

RetroGamer02

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A simple consideration:
I checked the official archive with all the releases.
Apparently since version 0.11 it is no longer compatible with Boom (the simplest Doom engine) while with version 0.12 the compatibility with vanilla Doom (less complex than Boom engine) is said to be almost complete: but this is absurd and incomprehensible!!! :O
I would not say its incompatible with boom just that it does not likely take advantage of its features. Some of the levels work just fine.

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I would not say its not incompatible with boom just that it does not likely take advantage of its features. Some of the levels work just fine.
Then good luck with your project. I can't wait for you to finish it so I can play it on my gba sp, or better yet on my pink ds lite....;)

RetroGamer02

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Then good luck with your project. I can't wait for you to finish it so I can play it on my gba sp, or better yet on my pink ds lite....;)
If you would be willing to let me know what you think of the rom I posted a link to that would be great. =)
I have no real set deadline for when it will be done. Its a it will be finished when its finished kinda thing.
So maybe just check in on my github every now and then though when a level is fixed Ill probably post so here as well. =)

RetroGamer02

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
E1M5 loads now but crashes on moving around the map a bit and when trying to save but its progress.
I decided to keep going with the progress I already had. Will need more work to get it to not crash and sacrifices had to be made to the level but the most important thing I feel is getting E1M5 running at all.

Attachments

• FreeDoom E1M5 Loading.png
    FreeDoom E1M5 Loading.png
    65.7 KB · Views: 87
  • FreeDoomE1M5 Progress 2.png
    FreeDoomE1M5 Progress 2.png
    312.9 KB · Views: 85

RetroGamer02

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Think I have E1M5 not crashing now at least for short testing. If others could help test this version of the game please do. Expect large changes in the level but mostly same layout. Squashing a 817.77kb level into 249.95kb takes a lot out of it.

https://mega.nz/file/3T5A0R6L#CYw8Lyh-sJMYRHCp2ka_ZcYrL1A8SxV98-nt_2kQ69A

Please report back on any bugs, complaints, ect.

Edit: Dang still crashing sometimes but a lot less.
One thing like saving the game uses up some of the ram and can cause an early crash.

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If you would be willing to let me know what you think of the rom I posted a link to that would be great
Unfortunately lately, with my busy schedule, I don't even have time to breathe...But as soon as I can I will definitely try it.:wink:

Question: How come the rom is almost 32mb if it contains only the first maps?

Tip: Instead of tiring yourself out by reducing the larger, more complex maps, why don't you completely replace them with simpler ones that you'll find in previous releases, especially the earliest and oldest ones, even if they belong to other episodes? :unsure:

Last edited by Nikokaro,

RetroGamer02

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The rom contains all the levels they will fit in the rom just not the ram. The GBA only has 256kb of ram.
I suppose I could use levels from other episodes. I have kinda done this already. I took the real doom levels to replace the ones that fail to load for private use since it would not be legal to distribute. I called it Freeish Doom. =P

Also don't worry I can do the testing my self but having others helps a lot.

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
As for me, there is no problem. As long as I don't find the same map multiple times over the course of the various episodes.

So, if you are going to use them in E1, in episode 4 what maps would you put?

Note: Like you did in your Freeish Doom, why don't you use maps taken from old, simpler and famous freeware wads like Memento Mori, Community Chest, Hell Revealed, Mordeth, Strain, Icarus etc.

Last edited by Nikokaro,
Reactions: Tarmfot

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1