Hacking Is EZ Flash Omega support Pokemon Gen IV Dual-slot mode?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No. It does not have SRAM in the traditional sense that we can trick DS games into looking at and thinking they are speaking to an original cart. As such you are unlikely to see it happen even in the future (I can see a theoretical path but it would not be easy with the source we have available).

You will have to use an emulator (desmume can be made to work) or save modification tool to just add things/copy things across.

Reactions: nechigawara

ootnes2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. It does not have SRAM in the traditional sense that we can trick DS games into looking at and thinking they are speaking to an original cart. As such you are unlikely to see it happen even in the future (I can see a theoretical path but it would not be easy with the source we have available).

You will have to use an emulator (desmume can be made to work) or save modification tool to just add things/copy things across.

Wouldn't it work the same as EZflash IV did, as long as you use the poke patch patch and NOR mode?

https://gbatemp.net/threads/pokepatch-3-in1-platinum.141663/page-2

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again, the answer is no precisely for the reason FAST6191 mentioned. The EZIV had battery backed SRAM, so it's possible to read stuff loaded to it after you power off. The EZ Omega specific dispensed with that (in part because batteries eventually die), so after power off there's no memory to read. The only way I can imagine this could be avoided is if one powered off and powered on quickly and the SRAM in question didn't become sufficiently corrupt, but that's a very haphazard approach when an emulator can do the job.

I mean, you're welcome to try it. I just have very low hopes of it working.

ootnes2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again, the answer is no precisely for the reason FAST6191 mentioned. The EZIV had battery backed SRAM, so it's possible to read stuff loaded to it after you power off. The EZ Omega specific dispensed with that (in part because batteries eventually die), so after power off there's no memory to read. The only way I can imagine this could be avoided is if one powered off and powered on quickly and the SRAM in question didn't become sufficiently corrupt, but that's a very haphazard approach when an emulator can do the job.

I mean, you're welcome to try it. I just have very low hopes of it working.

FAST6191 or kuwanger would the Ezflash reform work? I had (wrongly) assumed that the Omega's battery was for SRAM, but I guess it is just for RTC functionality (or something else). But the reform (seems?) to just be a redone Ezflash IV and so if the Ezflash IV works the reform would work as well. Am I missing something?

http://www.ezflash.cn/product/reform/

Also, won't at least one part of the dual slot mode work (the part allowing the catching of some gen III pokemon based on what cart is inserted) even without a battery backed sram?

Last edited by ootnes2,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
FAST6191 or kuwanger would the Ezflash reform work? I had (wrongly) assumed that the Omega's battery was for SRAM, but I guess it is just for RTC functionality (or something else). But the reform (seems?) to just be a redone Ezflash IV and so if the Ezflash IV works the reform would work as well. Am I missing something?

http://www.ezflash.cn/product/reform/

Also, won't at least one part of the dual slot mode work (the part allowing the catching of some gen III pokemon based on what cart is inserted) even without a battery backed sram?
Probably not, because the EZFlash kernel is what's seen by the console, not the game that's flashed to NOR. Correct me if I'm wrong.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The reform is a slight tweak of the EZ4 design so you should be able to get something done.

For the sake of clarity. General overview.

The DS and DS lite featured a GBA slot, and said slot could be read by DS games.
At first DS games would just check to see if a given game was there and give a small bonus or something.
Later games also used some extra hardware (boktai and the solar sensor)
Later games still decided to read the save and pull data. Pokemon being the main example but there are some others.

List of games and explanations of bonuses obtained http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_DS_games_with_GBA_connectivity

The EZ4 back when it was still being used for DS games gained the ability to read its own NOR and SRAM in a DS mode game launched from its DS loader. This is little remembered nowadays but you may see it if you go looking.

It was also noted that for old school flash carts like the EZ2 that if you burned the correct ROM without a loader (actually just the header if some experiments from back then are anything to go by) you could trick a normal DS game into loading it.

Later cory1492 ported the patches made for the 3 in 1 to various carts, including and initially exclusively to the EZ4. This worked by patching the DS pokemon games (and possibly too much patch to be made to work by cheats so not much scope to do it for an original cart) to instead read from the SRAM that all GBA flash carts had; the original GBA pokemon games used a type of Flash memory which had a very different protocol http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm#gbacartbackupids .

The EZ Omega then ditched the SRAM model in favour of more direct saving/save emulation and thus you can't have it present for the DS game to read from the GBA slot.

If I had to make a new patch I would instead look at adding the GBA save to the end of the DS save and have it try to read from that. Might mess up a few save mod tools though. kuwanger's idea of bouncing it to PSRAM and then trying to power off and on quick enough (depending upon temperature you have about 20 seconds before the data gets lost, though quicker is better -- a few flash cart/hack methods back on the GBA and early DS did some things like this).

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kuwanger's idea of bouncing it to PSRAM and then trying to power off and on quick enough

To be clear, the EZ Omega has separate SRAM and PSRAM/NOR chips. I'm not sure how the mapping is done, though. I image it's possible it'll be stuck at the last mapping on power off, will revert to the boot-up mapping, or be more or less random. Regardless, I don't have a lot of belief that such is a good approach.

nechigawara

Citizen of Gamindustri
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
I saw someone said Everdrive-GBA is work with Dual-slot mode, but not pal park.
Is that true? May be I would buy it along Everdrive-GG for my Nepgear----- I mean, Game Gear.

NANASHI89

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if I'm annoying anyone by butting in, but....

Will the EZ Flash Omega work with games like Polarium, and Advance Wars: Dual Strike, both of which unlock stuff after putting certain GBA games in?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No, same reasons as before though the theoretical path might be easier. Though if it is a game that does not need a save from the GBA or extra hardware you might be able to fake it with a cheat, use desmume to do the unlocks or grab a save with it already unlocked.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.