Hacking Is exFAT (FAT64) compatible with Wii??

SamAsh07

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Topic...I tried formatting my HDD to FAT32 using cmd, since the normal windows way wasn't possible with it, and it took 10mins to reach 2% so I gave up on that and am using NTFS partition for my Wii games even though its considered "unstable", using NTFS because I need to store movies, music and all too so WBFS is outta the question.

SO back to my topic question, is exFAT compatible with Wii??

Trollology

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
To format to Fat32 easily there's a program called swissknife it's the BEST when it comes to formatting and partitions
wink.gif

Oh and the format takes like a second
tongue.gif
I mean idk it took like 3 seconds to fully format my 300 Gig HDD.
Good luck with swissknife.
Tip: When in swissknife, many words and terms might confuse you. When you want to format, only change the volume to Fat32 and that's it. Just keep the rest the way they are. Hope I helped
smile.gif

Ooh and: I'm not too sure exFAT works.

SamAsh07

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Hmm swissknife...will look into it if I feel like, thanks for the details xP
Now if only someone could answer about the exFAT

brausm08

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you need a full format, what i usually do is use windows to format to NTFS (full format)...then use FAT32_GUI_formatter (google it) to do a quick format to FAT32....

does swissknife allow you to chose a cluster size? if not i'd use FAT32_GUI_formatter ....select 32k cluster size....

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no. i dont think there has been a library written to read exfat. its all proprietary microsoft drivers only.

it would take one of those written in a language that is portable. so c or c++, no asm. then it would take somebody actually porting the library to work in the wii. then it would need to be compiled into every program that you want to be able to read it.

there is NO existing wii program that will be able to read exfat without hacking it to pieces.

from wikipedia
QUOTE said:
Disadvantages

The disadvantages compared to previous FAT versions include:
... blablabla ...
* Microsoft has not released the official exFAT file specification, and a license from Microsoft is required in order to make and distribute exFAT implementations[17]
* Limited or no support outside PC environment at present — most current consumer electronics, such as televisions and A/V receivers, can only handle previous FAT versions (this may change with the new SDXC cards and Memory Stick XC requiring exFAT)

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jesus christ... exFAT is NOT ext2/3/4. 1 is proprietary microsoft junk and the others are open source linux filesystems

SamAsh07

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
^ Uh right...I guess I'll go with FAT32_GUI one

EDIT: And it works like charm, thanks for all the help and info about FAT64 lol. Onwards to gaming!

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
giantpune said:
jesus christ... exFAT is NOT ext2/3/4. 1 is proprietary microsoft junk and the others are open source linux filesystems

I'm not sure what the patents for exFat cover, it's very difficult to innovate on a file system.
Just because microsoft demands a license for exfat, doesn't make it junk.

I blame the SD Card Association for not pushing an open file system.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thats nice. now you just have to call up apple and ask nicely if they will give you their source code in nice c. then find somebody that feels like porting it to work in the wii.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end