Hacking Question Is Emunand really interesting if you only play games offline and don’t plan to downgrade?

JBMario

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi!

I am about to hack my Switch and was wondering if I should go the Emunand way or not. I don’t intend to play online. Plus, I see some people say that you should install Emunand so you can have the latest firmware, yet you don’t burn the fuses since you don’t upgrade the SysNAND. But I don’t plan to downgrade my Switch, or at least I don’t really see why I should...

So I am asking you: Emunand or should I stay with SysNAND directly? Thank you!

PyroGoat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems like you are pretty informed. Personal preference I guess. If you want a recommendation, go with emunand as it will be easier to stay up to date (at least with my ocd self).

If you are on cfw with sysnand and you need to update firmware to support new game, sure you can do it and burn the fuses, who cares, but your backup then won't match your fuses. So what I have done previously is, backup game saves, restore to clean sysnand, update like normal, backup again so I have a clean backup with matching fuses, then setup cfw again.

That is why my next setup will be emunand.

pworld

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Emunand can be used to split between games, so that you don't even see the games which are not installed.

PyroGoat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Emunand can be used to split between games, so that you don't even see the games which are not installed.
I think what you are trying to say is that games installed in sysnand will only show up In Sysnand and games installed in emunand will only show up in emunand so no confusion.

pworld

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
No, I say that you can have emunand 1 on your first sd card with party games, emunand 2 on your second sd card for single player games and emunand 3 on your third sd card for games other people should not know you play. So that depending on the audience, you only see the correct games

PyroGoat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, I say that you can have emunand 1 on your first sd card with party games, emunand 2 on your second sd card for single player games and emunand 3 on your third sd card for games other people should not know you play. So that depending on the audience, you only see the correct games
A very valid point.

mierdatuti

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You never know if someday you need to sell your Switch or want to play online afterall. This is why I recommend anyone to set up emuNAND. Only SX OS supports emuNAND to date though. If SX OS is no option you can wait until other CFWs finish emuNAND support.
+1

tomazzzi

Trophies
XP
Country
Emunand is useful cause it leaves your switch untouched. And like said before you can make 1 emunand per users on different SD cards.. it s like every users had his own switch. I like it.

Reactions: Nezztor

Vic_Vinegar

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi!

I am about to hack my Switch and was wondering if I should go the Emunand way or not. I don’t intend to play online. Plus, I see some people say that you should install Emunand so you can have the latest firmware, yet you don’t burn the fuses since you don’t upgrade the SysNAND. But I don’t plan to downgrade my Switch, or at least I don’t really see why I should...

So I am asking you: Emunand or should I stay with SysNAND directly? Thank you!
I'm in the same boat as you, I have Emunand enabled although I'll never play a game online and I don't care about burning fuses, getting banned. I only enabled my Emunand after I read a tutorial posted on here (it was a post about how to upgrade your fw) by another user months ago lol.

I still have days where I ask myself is it worth having it / should I disable it. The only con I can think of (and this is based off of my own personal reasons) about having Emunand enabled is that it does take up some space on your micro sd card. But this can be overcome with the new Emunand features or by buying a larger micro sd card or taking advantage of a usb stick or an external hdd.

Here's a situation that happened to me last week, it may help you decide to enable Emunand.
Last week my main (200 gig) micro sd card crashed but because I had Emunand enabled, my SysNand firmware went back to 5.2.
Luckily for me I still had my old (128 gig) micro sd card that I was using before my 200 gig one crashed, so I bought a new (bigger) micro sd card, copy and pasted the files from my old 128 gig micro sd card onto my new one and popped it in my switch.
Because I had Emunand enabled on my old 128 gig micro sd card, my switch firmware settings on my new micro sd card were now at 5.9.
To get my switch up to date with my newest micro sd card, all I had to do was re-download a few apps (checkpoint, choixdujour) and now my switch is back on 6.2 and I'm back in business.

The only shitty downside to all of this was searching for all the nsps to update my games so they can work on 6.2 lol.

At this point, I don't think I'll disable my Emunand, mainly as I don't want to deal with the hassle of having to re-update my switch's firmware then having to re-download all of the nsp's to update my games so they can work on 6.2

nachuz

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
The only bad thing that could happend is that if someday you decide to go back to sysnand, you'll have to install a ticket of all the games that you installed on emunand, or directly reinstall all of them
Other than that, you can avoid bricks, update without any risk of burning any fuse, if you aren't banned you can avoid bans easily, and a lot more of advantages

thaikhoa

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The only bad thing that could happend is that if someday you decide to go back to sysnand, you'll have to install a ticket of all the games that you installed on emunand, or directly reinstall all of them
Other than that, you can avoid bricks, update without any risk of burning any fuse, if you aren't banned you can avoid bans easily, and a lot more of advantages

FYI, nsp won't need any tickets with custom nsp (all in one package) or rebuild [rr] using nscbuilder.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no real reason to use an emuNAND if you don't plan on connecting your Switch to the internet. In addition, the SX OS emuNAND is, in principle, detectable and unsafe.

Nezztor

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
There's no real reason to use an emuNAND if you don't plan on connecting your Switch to the internet. In addition, the SX OS emuNAND is, in principle, detectable and unsafe.

Can you clarify why is detectable? and as far as I see no one has been banned (offline)

chippy

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
odd, I have seen this thread on Reddit
Can you clarify why is detectable?
for how much its detectable, Nintendo just needs to have a module that checks checksums of some important files to see if they have been modified or check if they exist (the ones we use to patch the sig checking) and thats that.
the only way we can make sure things are detectable is knowing what nintendo uses/sees when our switch comunicates with them but we dont know this

Nezztor

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
odd, I have seen this thread on Reddit

for how much its detectable, Nintendo just needs to have a module that checks checksums of some important files to see if they have been modified or check if they exist (the ones we use to patch the sig checking) and thats that.
the only way we can make sure things are detectable is knowing what nintendo uses/sees when our switch comunicates with them but we dont know this

This is what I am talking about:

Never start cfw without emunand so sysnand keep clean , emunand offline and sysnand clean that never saw cfw

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you clarify why is detectable? and as far as I see no one has been banned (offline)
No one has been banned yet for using the SX OS emuNAND, as far as I'm aware, but it's detectable in principle because it doesn't actually emulate the NAND partition properly.

chrisisx

Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
I actually planned to create emunand at first when it released so that i can install NSP (some games are NSP exclusives) but changed my mind after the NSP to XCI converter been released. Just make sure to stick with XCI and enabled stealth mode always on SXOS CFW (enabled by default) and you should be safe from BAN. You can even update all your XCI games in Sysnand (should be safe since i am still not banned since day 1) so you dont have to worry on games update.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over