Homebrew Question Is emu on switch really worth having a dedicated hacked switch for?

playstays_shun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Game streaming, you can steam your PC, PlayStation, Xbox to the switch and run games on host while playing them on switch

How would one stream a ps5? Does it work ok with garbage wifi chip in the Switch? That seems somewhat compelling!

Hacking my Switch was worth it for me because compared to my Laptop it's just so easy to play Mario Party or Tekken 3 with friends on the TV..

Heh, asked my buddy who has dabbled with it a bit how Tekken 3 is since that's one of my favorite Tekkens and he said it ran like crap. A quick YT lookup seems to be the same What sort of black magic and/or settings/setup are you using to not make it stutter?

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
How would one stream a ps5? Does it work ok with garbage wifi chip in the Switch? That seems somewhat compelling!

Heh, asked my buddy who has dabbled with it a bit how Tekken 3 is since that's one of my favorite Tekkens and he said it ran like crap. A quick YT lookup seems to be the same What sort of black magic and/or settings/setup are you using to not make it stutter?
Huh? Tekken 3 is a ps1 game and ps1 emulation has been fullspeed on switch since centuries ago with a slight overclocking sometimes. Now you even have a possibility to play ps1 games in lakka with duckstation which is A LOT less demanding and is better overall cause of internal res increase support and other stuff. And all that even without OC.

Reactions: sley

playstays_shun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh? Tekken 3 is a ps1 game and ps1 emulation has been fullspeed on switch since centuries ago with a slight overclocking sometimes. Now you even have a possibility to play ps1 games in lakka with duckstation which is A LOT less demanding and is better overall cause of internal res increase support and other stuff. And all that even without OC.

I dunno I think some games run sorta spotty possibly looking at YT videos about Lakka. maybe some weird settings they have? not sure

Do you guys also use an RCM Loader USB-C dongle for portable tethering?

playstays_shun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends on your router setup, but it works just fine, great for around the house and if you have mobile with a lot of data over the internet

I dunno bit worrisome having to hook up your PSN to a hacked switch app from a preliminary research, even if its been fine.

Wish that weren't a requisite. - but damn remote play on switch for ps5 would be pretty dang chill conceptually NGL

Last edited by playstays_shun,

Deleted member 514389

GBA Connoisseur
Trophies
Website
f.ls
XP
Country
Germany
v1... just keep it stock and let it collect dust as a backup to my other devices

Thats what I do.
Being able to transfer saves into an unecrypted state as backup is really worth the price my V1 was.
Selling it isn't.
That'd be the definition of regret.

As for 'emulation':
Thats my Smartdevices job.
Switchroot is nice tho.

I carry a dongle and jig around in the gamecard slot of my switch
I suggest modding the right joycon and just carrying the dongle or a smartphone (& otg adapter).
Much less hassle.

Last edited by Deleted member 514389,
Reactions: RednaxelaNnamtra

kidkat210

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why should I risk damaging my joycon when my jig and dongle rest in the game card slot? I have the dragoninjector. It was an open source project created by one of the community members here. The only crappy thing is nintendo sent them a C&D

zenjiki

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

For me it is absolutely worth it! But depends on what you are looking for and your expectations!? Any home console up to Dreamcast is pretty much full-speed, minus a few games on the more demanding home consoles. As for handheld consoles, up to PSP is full-speed including DS, with some less demanding games on 3DS being full-speed. If your expecting more than those, like PS2 and Gamecube you'll be disappointed. Theres some full-speed games on GC but very few.

As for Tekken 3, as someone mentioned its been fullspeed for years! In fact I've been playing PS1 games full-speed on normal CPU clocks with 3X resolution. The funny thing with emulation scene in switch is that its super lively, but not many upload up to date videos on youtube. So I would not base your decision on videos on youtube.

As for having a jig and dongle all the time, its not like it was before. I haven't had to use my jig and dongle or computer for over a month. Witch reboot to payload, you really don't need them after you boot 1 time. I've only needed it recently because, my battery completely died and it didn't have the chance to reboot to payload.

As for playing your official games, for me the house has 2 switches and the one I use for emulation I don't use to play games that have online functions. I dump my game card on my home-brew switch and play those games offline. If theres a games that needs online or best played online, I use the other switch thats not been used for home-brew.

The convenience of the switch being portable, and option to dock is huge for me. As well as the physical controllers. I know you can do the same with phones but its just not the same, the switch is made as a gaming device first and it hows even more in the emulation scene.

playstays_shun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As for Tekken 3, as someone mentioned its been fullspeed for years! In fact I've been playing PS1 games full-speed on normal CPU clocks with 3X resolution. The funny thing with emulation scene in switch is that its super lively, but not many upload up to date videos on youtube. So I would not base your decision on videos on youtube.

must be something wrong with his set up then as he said both cores for ps1 he tries even the boot logo is skippy and laggy and only uses it for 2d stuff lol. Maybe not the best resource

Good point about Youtube stuff, too. Glad to hear it works for people though !

Basketto

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I have mine all in one, but either way the answer would be yes.
I mainly use android, and every game i enjoy including titles from snes, ps1, n64, dreamcast, nds, psp… run flawlessly on android(switchroot).
Resolution for all those systems can be upscaled on many systems 4X with zero hit on performance. N64 in particular offers 100s of texture packs making the games look crisp in HD.
Tons of gamecube games run fullspeed on dolphin with setting tweaks, Ive played though zelda windwaker, baldurs gate Dark alliance, and Tak & the power of Juju, all run full speed with overclocking and all completed 100% at 2x resolution. Even games like the older elder scrolls 3- Morrowind, run flawlessly on android. If your into retro emulation, its really a no brainer. 3ds & wii emulation are the only things that are kind of poor, even so ocarina of time & new super mario bros wii run smoothly, but otherwise your options for those 2 are pretty limited.

Last edited by Basketto,

komabear

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
IMO the best feature for a hacked Switch is using Moonlight to play my PC games in the living room or in bed. Second best is Retroarch, to play GBA, SNES and older consoles.

playstays_shun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Second best is Retroarch, to play GBA, SNES and older consoles.

hmmm how do you guys feel about cfw retroarch? Competent enough ?

The Android thing sounds good but you gotta deal with those bottom nav buttons and overlay buttons and configuring joycon and all that jazz? Could be a clunky troubleshooting experience

Basketto

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
you dont find it clunky booting into android tab mode vs. just cfw switch OS?

Im assuming you do this for better performance?

Its not bad really, I use 1 large decent micro sd, for everything & it dual boots to android in under 10secs.
Definately for the performance boost .

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A powerful laptop is good but I prefer very powerful desktop more because it is much cheaper than a powerful laptop. And you can upgrade on desktop easily. So Nintendo Switch is a weak system anyway. Go with a powerful laptop if you can afford it or go with a powerful desktop for better emulators like Yuzu (Nintendo Switch), Ryujinx (Nintendo Switch), PCSX2 (PS2) and RPCS3 (PS3).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: