Hacking Is CycloDS worth the trouble?

wtfman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am looking for a slot 1 card and have been hearing good things about the CycloDS. Now I don't mind paying the money for 1 but for $60 I am really concern about the built quality. Is it really worth it for me to take the risk?

Now, I also have several questions:

1. Is the defective rate getting better or worst, like is the later batches of cards better or worst the earlier ones?

2. Has TC been actively trying to remedy the problem? Do they acknowledge the problem? Are they ensuring that the card's built quality will get better?

3. How long is the Cyclo's warranty? Like am I going to be screwed over by being an early adopter?

4. Now people talk about DOA rates but do any1 have an idea what the failure rate over time?

See, the Cyclo situation somewhat remind me of RROD. Excellent products if not for the horrible failure rate. I don't mind paying a bit for a 'better' card but I don't want to be constantly sending dead cards back. I want to know whether the situation will get better and whether TC is handling the situation like Microsoft is handling the 360, i.e. on top of replacing faulty units they are also actively trying to solve and built better ones.

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I heard there's a high defect rate, but that could just be like anything. There's also defective R4s etc, some people don't seem to realize. I'd suggest the easy solution is to get an M3 Real.

hollabackitsobi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. AFAIK it extends indefinitely.
4. Rather low...

I've only had my Cyclo for 3 weeks, but it's a great card. Only thing it really has over the R4 is MicroSDHC compatibility (which is why I bought it) and a cleaner, and better GUI. It's touch operated and looks much better than the R4's. Also, it has a really nice ingame menu with a real time clock. If they can implement RTS (which they've been promising about but not delivering on for FAR too long), it will be THE best card out there.

One thing I've noticed about TC is that when they deliver (dealing with defective units, updating firmware with added features and better compatibility), they REALLY deliver. But, when they make promises (RTS, they promised to "release it in a few days" exactly two weeks ago today, and I waited about a month and a half to actually GET my Cyclo because of delay after delay), it REALLY sucks.

But regardless, I'd wholeheartedly recommend the card.

humanx

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i've had my cyclo ds since the end of june. i believe it's from the initial release? anyways, it's been working like a charm ever since. i have tested a ton of titles and when i find one that doesn't work, it is usually fixed in the next update. some of the homebrew i've downloaded doesn't work, but then again, i don't test them all that often, so it's possible they work now.
i definitely recommend this flashcart; granted, it's the first and only one i've ever used, but it hasn't let me down yet.

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had my Cyclo for a few months and really aside from the occasional time it won't recognize the MicroSD (which might just be me not pushing it in the whole way) which only happens once every 50 or so uses, if that often.

Defiance

oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have one. It is awesome! The only bad thing is you probably aren't going to be able to get one before Christmas.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
i've just recently brought one and i like it so far
biggrin.gif

DespizingU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I've had mine since June. And as long as you get a working one, then yes, the cart is worth having. But keep in mind, you may get a defective. Then...you'll have to send it, wait a month or two(or however long) to get your replacement. But then again, you may get a perfect one.

If you get a working one, then you're going to be happy. It's a good slot 1 cart.

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I've had mine since June. And as long as you get a working one, then yes, the cart is worth having. But keep in mind, you may get a defective. Then...you'll have to send it, wait a month or two(or however long) to get your replacement. But then again, you may get a perfect one.

If you get a working one, then you're going to be happy. It's a good slot 1 cart.
Yes, but he might get a defective one, then have to pay extra to ship it back and wait almost 2 months or more to get another CHANCE TO GET A GOOD ONE. Keep in mind, he can get a defective replacement, there have been reports of this. Then he will be probably waiting half a year or so, paying $20-$30 extra for shipping total, which would bring the cart up to $100 total and 4-5 months of waiting.

We really can't tell you if that is worth it or not. Only the buyer himself/herself can decide. All we can say is yes, it is a great cart and getting a perfect one will be great. Now ask yourself if you think getting a perfect one is worth it. It is for some. It isn't for me personally because there are other carts mostly cheaper ones too to begin with that have less than 1% chance of defectiveness.

OzModChips

Trophies
XP
Country
1. YES. Batch 3 is terrible
2. Talky talky. Proof is in the pudding.
3. Best idea is to buy from somone that will swap stock directly
4. Batch 3 = about 15% DOA, as in totally no begin recognized 1st time you plug it in. and then about 5% more dead within first week

Just wait it out. Totally not worth the buy. the software is THE shit, but the hardware IS shit.

Next batch is black i am told. I will tell ppl the truth and tell you the failure rate when they come in.

MadBob

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks your honesty is always refreshing, if only TC themselves were as forthcoming with the reality, mind I suppose the danger is that nobody would buy any, so maybe silence is better for them.

jiojo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Between a Slot-1 like the M3Real and CycloDS there aren't that many features that read differently in their advertising but the reality is that my M3's beta firmware is sorta... well meh. I buy slot 1s for backing up my library and playing homebrew. The things I look for are access speed of the micro SD and compatability. The CycloDS is PERFECT in soft and hardware if you get a working one, and really it isn't the hardware as much as the physical size of the cart. Most DOAs are because contacts aren't touching. My cart is actually a little tighter than a regular DS cart, and my friend's will wiggle? LOL. Hate that crap. The M3 Real isn't bad in respects to hardware but the software seems decent at best. Ummmm, starting to run around in circles with this message so I'll be direct now. CycloDS is a great CART and so are their compedators but as far as a CART goes they could step it up a bit since such nice software is in it. It's compedators are a bit behind in the software but make better CARTS. The next piece I'm looking into is the Acekard R.P.G... so yeah. I feel bad it's more of a horror story for most posters.

DespizingU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seriously, I wouldn't take the chance of getting a good one. When I got mine is when they first came out. So all this defect talk wasn't around yet.

If you don't want to take a gamble, then I recommend going with the SCDS1. I've been hooked on this cart for about three months now. I haven't used anything else. It's very dependable, and has features no other cart has. In my opinion, it's the number one slot 1 cart.

wtfman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, but he might get a defective one, then have to pay extra to ship it back and wait almost 2 months or more to get another CHANCE TO GET A GOOD ONE. Keep in mind, he can get a defective replacement, there have been reports of this. Then he will be probably waiting half a year or so, paying $20-$30 extra for shipping total, which would bring the cart up to $100 total and 4-5 months of waiting.

Yes, golden pretty much hit it on the spot. I don't want the cost of ownership to keep on rising. I want TC to assure me that this would not and should not happen.

QUOTEWe really can't tell you if that is worth it or not.

Fair enough. I just want to know what do the people the bought the CycloDS think, like whether there are any buyer's remorse?

diglett

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
I just want to know what do the people the bought the CycloDS think, like whether there are any buyer's remorse?

I've had four other carts and I consider the Cyclods to be the best purchase by far. IMO, it's worth taking the risk of getting a defective one as long as you order from a quality vendor such as RHS.

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
I just want to know what do the people the bought the CycloDS think, like whether there are any buyer's remorse?

I've had four other carts and I consider the Cyclods to be the best purchase by far. IMO, it's worth taking the risk of getting a defective one as long as you order from a quality vendor such as RHS.
It doesn't sound like if you got a defective one because you would know then you would have to wait awhile to get a replacement. Yes, the cyclo is kick ass with its software but in reality even if I bought one and mine WAS NOT DEFECTIVE I wouldn't feel too great about it because I know that even if my cyclo works its basically cheap chinese plastic shit covering a circuit board with some fine software inside but that still doesn't make up for the crappy plastic shell.

diglett

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I actually think the case is nice. It's the exact same case that the DSLink used quite successfully. I think their biggest mistake was to use a potentially fragile BGA chip and to leave it exposed.

Even taking the worst case numbers for batch 3, you would still have a four out of five chance of getting a good one. Real Hot Stuff will turn around a replacement (or refund, if you wish) as soon as they receive the broken one. I would certainly hesitate to buy one from an iffy site though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hke2YUirpf4