Is converting a Watch Dogs save from Wii U to Steam possible?

Alee

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey, so I just got Watch Dogs on Steam, and I have been playing that game on the Wii U for a while, is it possible to convert the save files to Steam?

Digital_Cheese

Top G Unlike Tate
Trophies
Website
dc-blog.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
I don't believe it is possible to do that sadly. From what I can find, there aren't any cloud service things to do that for you. Maybe you could do it through heavy (and I mean heavy) hacks, but you would somehow have to convert a Wii U save to work on Steam and then make sure everything is basically going to work perfectly which doesn't seem likely at all.

Anomaladox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the files that actually contains the the save data are similar enough I don't see why not. It might be possible, I guess I could try to transfer a save to see if it will work.

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm gonna say no as they are two completely different formats and no such converter exists. You may be able to extract the info required but as said earlier, not without a lot of hex editing or proper knowledge.

A long shot but worth a try.... If you have the save file on your pc, try renaming the extension of the file to the steam extension format. I've done this with snes roms in the past between emulators and it woked. I will stress tho that essentially that was the same console i was putting it across to.... ie - same format!

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the question is if it's little endian or big endian. little endian is byte reversed, so it goes backwards based on the byte. I'm not sure what the wii u is, but I know/think the ps4 is little endian. that's the only system I'm pretty sure on. it's probably possible that way. most saves across platforms are comparable aside from that and whatever security was introduced by the system. wiiu isn't encrypted, saves that is, not sure about steam though.

Alee

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As far as I know I have looked at both of the save files and they seem different

Steam Version:
1646880433586.png

Wii U Version:
1646880472964.png

1646880492768.png

Anomaladox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still haven't had a chance to take a look into it yet but I am seeing something that could work that you can try.

Try this:
userdata.dat and rename it 1.save then take savegame.dat and rename that 2.save and then replace the original 1.save/2.save files on your PC with the renamed Wii U save files and see if it will load the game save on the pc.

Alee

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I still haven't had a chance to take a look into it yet but I am seeing something that could work that you can try.

Try this:
userdata.dat and rename it 1.save then take savegame.dat and rename that 2.save and then replace the original 1.save/2.save files on your PC with the renamed Wii U save files and see if it will load the game save on the pc.
That didn't appear to work :(
It just grays out the continue option

Alee

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a feeling that Watch Dogs Wii U is most likely a direct port from the PC version since it's pretty much the same. Though I could be wrong :P

Though I hope the save system is the same from the PC version (and hopefully other consoles though I haven't fully researched on Watch Dogs' save system)

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
not sure what the wii u is
Big endian. So:
Try this:
Can't work. You have to (at least, possibly you also need to remove and/or add some headers/footers) byte-swap the files.

Reactions: godreborn

Anomaladox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah this is going to be complicated, @Alee I will let you know if I get anywhere with it. So far I am just crashing the game right now with my modified saves.

*Edit* So I no longer crash but it says my saves are corrupted, I am no expert but if the saves need to pass a CRC check to load (which could be likely) then it is definitely above my lowly skillset. I will keep tinkering with it I guess but I probably won't get anywhere.

Last edited by Anomaladox,

Alee

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah this is going to be complicated, @Alee I will let you know if I get anywhere with it. So far I am just crashing the game right now with my modified saves.

*Edit* So I no longer crash but it says my saves are corrupted, I am no expert but if the saves need to pass a CRC check to load (which could be likely) then it is definitely above my lowly skillset. I will keep tinkering with it I guess but I probably won't get anywhere.
Alright good luck :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, lol +1