Is computer science too powerful?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Yil, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Yil
    OP

Yil GBAtemp Addict

Feb 19, 2014
    Canada
    There are many things in pure math that completely disregard physics (cause logic is more fundamental than physics), and computers are originally designed to coop with pure math (some applications back then but nothing substantial) than do anything it's used today.

2. osaka35

osaka35 Instrucional Designer

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    physics is spoken in the language of math, so I'm not 100% sure why you would say math is more "powerful" than physics.

Computers operate on a binary system, not on imaginary or irrationals or fractions. just "on" switches and "off" switches with nothing in-between. So I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "powerful"

3. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    keep in mind yil asks a lot of "woke" philosophical questions like this.

osaka35 likes this.
  4. Yil
    OP

Yil GBAtemp Addict

Feb 19, 2014
    Canada
    Lambda calculus. You can redefine the entire number system using it.

5. osaka35

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    ahh, so you're asking that since physics uses math and computers are based on math, therefore computers are more...powerful? Or more inherently capable than physics? I'm just trying to get your question correct before I attempt an answer lol

6. Yil
    OP

Yil GBAtemp Addict

Feb 19, 2014
    Canada
    Physics will be completely broken once the number system is broken where things can be rearranged into bazaar manner, if that would even continue to exist.

yuyuyup likes this.
  7. osaka35

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    numbers are only representative. numbers are the language. physics is the reality. It's like me saying that flower over there is blue. Blue is the math, the nature of what the flower actually is would be physics. periwinkle may be a better word to use, but regardless of the word I use, the flower is going to stay the same. We use numbers to describe that reality in as specific terms as possible. The more accurate we are, the better the math. If the math is broken, then we're just sucking at communicating reality properly.

I say that to say this: No matter what you do with math, it can only ever be valid if it reflects reality/physics. If the physics is "broken", it's only because we're sucking at math somewhere along the way. When we say something "breaks the laws of physics", we actually mean "this breaks our current understanding of the laws of physics". If that makes sense.

8. Yil
    OP

Yil GBAtemp Addict

Feb 19, 2014
    Canada
    It might also be the other way around, where the reality is a strand of self-computing information. (A piece of program that does not require any physical structure, by which include anything quantum, to self-expand indefinitely)

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

@osaka35 New physics can be defined when number system is redefined, but not the other way around.

All math possibility >> All physics possibility >> All physical possibility.

Physics is not capable of complete abstraction. Math is, and by extension computer science. And now we have something that can coop with it better than human.

9. osaka35

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    Yes, exactly. Physics is reality. Math is our way of understanding it. We redefine numbers, we redefine our understanding of physics. Nothing we can do to actually redefine physics itself.

Because math doesn't have to reflect reality. It could be hypothetical. It could be wrong.

Ah. Physics is, while the mental can be abstract. But that abstraction isn't greater than reality, it's merely the interactions of limited perspectives of that reality. Reality is the one thing, but our interpretations of it can be endless :P

10. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Computer science today is making dumb memes.
    There's no science in memes, therefor computer science doesn't exist.

11. VinLark

VinLark This machine kills bourgeois sentimentality.

Jun 11, 2016
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Psychosystem Denomination
    Case closed we don't need computers anymore because they make memes