Hacking Is chip decapping even beneficial at this point?

Will chip Decapping be beneficial to the community?

• Yes

Votes: 107 73.3%
  • No

Votes: 15 10.3%
  • I don't really care.

Votes: 24 16.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mansonss

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello fellow tempters! Just wanted to say first off that I have been a lurker on this site since I purchased my first 3ds back in August. And I'm glad to have finally joined in!

On topic: Okay, so I was wondering if chip decapping would be useful at this stage? I understand that it is not (entirely) legal (correct me if I am wrong), but I would still like to try and find a company that will do it. I am soon to be receiving a considerable amount of money so I would not have to go through any shady donation tactics. The only way I will do this though is if enough people see it as beneficial. Sorry if this seems to go in circles lol.

Boy12

NOT a new member!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Chip decapping IS usefull, it help's us discover more about the system itself, and thus that can lead to exploits (i believe?)
Correct me if i'm wrong, though.

mansonss

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reverse engineering is legal in the US but what is not legal is circumvention of copy protection (eg R4, M3, CycloDS, Acekard, Gateway, etc, etc etc..)
Okay, So basically, I can get it reverse engineered without any legal repercussions. What happens with the data, after all, is out of my hands. I would just be releasing the information. I feel this is going to be great. Especially with previous experiences with this sort of thing concerning other consoles.

mansonss

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can do it for you, for only 2500$ :toot:

No offense to you, but I would rather find an accredited company that has a dedicated team rather than a random member on a forum that doesn't have even the slightest bit of credibility. Hell, I wouldn't even give someone that has high credibility on this site. Not to be rude. But especially after the 3dbrew "fundraiser" I am wary of anything dealing with anyone other than a known company.

Kakkoii

Old fart
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There are no valid reasons against it... It's one of the most beneficial things that wouldn't just contribute to piracy. It would help out the homebrew scene immensely. It has the (tiny) potential to crack the system wide open permanently even. So if you can actually do this... It would be amazing, since it seems the 3DBrew team isn't taking the amount of money that got donated to them seriously, or perhaps even ran off with it.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello fellow tempters! Just wanted to say first off that I have been a lurker on this site since I purchased my first 3ds back in August. And I'm glad to have finally joined in!

On topic: Okay, so I was wondering if chip decapping would be useful at this stage? I understand that it is not (entirely) legal (correct me if I am wrong), but I would still like to try and find a company that will do it. I am soon to be receiving a considerable amount of money so I would not have to go through any shady donation tactics. The only way I will do this though is if enough people see it as beneficial. Sorry if this seems to go in circles lol.
Yes, it would have given us new exploits, but I would say the money was stolen at this point.(Or they dont wanna release them cause they may give kernal access and cause piracy, but I dont think Neimod would do that after they asked for donations, but who knows) And also, it is legal; Decappping to cause piracy = illegal, but were just looking at pictures as far as the goverment is involved.

Now as for doing it yourself, its a gamble. Spread it all over the net and maybe someone will tell you the exploit, (this is saying, if there is anything to reveal) or maybe they would be smart and sell it to the chinese for big $$$.

Gotta remember, this is prob the first thing sony, microsoft, other big IT corps do. So maybe they have protection up?

Reactions: Ray Lewis

krzz

Trophies
XP
Country
France
No offense to you, but I would rather find an accredited company that has a dedicated team rather than a random member on a forum that doesn't have even the slightest bit of credibility. Hell, I wouldn't even give someone that has high credibility on this site. Not to be rude. But especially after the 3dbrew "fundraiser" I am wary of anything dealing with anyone other than a known company.

That was a joke about it : http://n-dev.net/donate.php

Why so serious? :ph34r:

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
The answer is... nobody really knows. It wasn't an option on your poll, so I haven't voted. Basically, it's a gamble. You might find something useful (for furthering homebrew), you might not. This was explained early in the decapping project's original page on 3DBrew:

It is not possible to give a clear answer on this until the 3DS SoC chip has been decapped. But consider the success story about the SNES decapping here. There is no 100% guarantee that we will have the same success story, since the technology is different and there might be more technological limitations. But we won't know until we try. We have a team of proven experts, anxious to have a very thorough look inside the SoC of the 3DS.

The most likely focus points will be:
  • the boot ROM, possibly containing flaws which allow us to take control of the system
  • secret keys, hidden in hardware, used in cryptographic operations
  • secret algorithms, implemented in hardware to obscure information
  • and possibly much more
It all sounds very optimistic, but it was written by someone who (apparently) ripped everyone off. :P

Reactions: Ray Lewis

mansonss

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now as for doing it yourself, its a gamble. Spread it all over the net and maybe someone will tell you the exploit, (this is saying, if there is anything to reveal) or maybe they would be smart and sell it to the chinese for big $$$.

This is one of my biggest concerns. I would have no idea who to give it to if I did do it. I really don't want it to go to the Chinese for the simple reason of the information being (mainly) used to forward piracy for their profit, which I do not condone at all. It's just an inevitable side effect of hacking any device.

The answer is... nobody really knows. It wasn't an option on your poll, so I haven't voted. Basically, it's a gamble. You might find something useful (for furthering homebrew), you might not.
The gamble does not really pose a concern for me. Whats life without risks? :P But I still believe that someone can use something from it. Even if it is just beginning an emulation project.

Keep your cash in your pocket man ... fund the trinux team instead :)

Who?

That was a joke about it : http://n-dev.net/donate.php

Why so serious? :ph34r:

Haha sorry. Just a bit jumpy.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
You should add a "Maybe" to the poll, because I can't really say whether it'll be beneficial or not. Might be hard to say until after someone has done it.
Since the 3DS has been blown wide open a lot could be discovered just by tinkering with homebrew, however I suppose it could be useful in finding an exploit for newer firmware versions.

Yamagushi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
O.o What did you do to obtain enough money coming in that 2000$ for something like this is no big deal? Just curious because man I could use some money lol.

dot7z

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I figure it's always going to be beneficial, even if it doesn't instantly hack every 3DS. If it's worth the cost is another question.

This was explained early in the decapping project's original page on 3DBrew:

It all sounds very optimistic, but it was written by someone who (apparently) ripped everyone off. :P

That all sounds reasonable actually. Assuming those things are in the SoC, we'd have the information needed to understand them eventually.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM