Is child abuse OK in Detroit: Become Human?

Discussion in 'PS4 - Games & Content' started by T-hug, Dec 4, 2017.

1. MartinDocNewland

MartinDocNewland Searching for the truth

Jul 7, 2012
    That's the point. To me my opinion does have some substance and its the only way I feel I can put my point accross. Having a brother with AS you should understand that it can affect a person's social interaction, how they communicate, their interests and behaviour so telling me my arguemnt is boring you sort of tells me you don't understand me, your brother or any other suffer at all.

I do the best I can, sorry its not up to your high standerds

2. DrGreed

DrGreed GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2016
    United States
    So we should get rid of it because only a handful of people are deeply disturbed by it? Again don't buy it or look into anymore if it's that bad for you.

3. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    Let's be honest. Mindless killing... Strip clubs.. Sexual exploitation.. Explosions.. Reliving history in some sick and sadistic ways...

Don't get me wrong. It's sick. Child abuse, in any shape or form should never be taken lightly... but with everything that is wrong in the world being portrayed? If you're fighting for one, why not all of them?

Last edited by Memoir, Dec 5, 2017
  4. Dominator211

Dominator211 JFK's Jelly Donut

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    Upstate, New York
    very true but this topic in particular effects me a little more than the others

5. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    Okay, drop the attitude. I'm well aware of the adverse effect it has on social interaction. My brother has gotten in trouble for various things. What's funny is that his debating and arguments are more than personal experience on repeat. You're against this? Okay, great. You're subtly looking down on everyone that you reply to. Not sure if you're aware of this. Again, your IQ? Your educational background? Has nothing to do with the topic, and is just soft bragging.

6. MartinDocNewland

Jul 7, 2012
    Having an I.Q and common sense are differant things. Most Asperges suffers with a high I.Q don't have common sense. comes hand in hand sadly

7. Fugelmir

Fugelmir GBAtemp Regular

Mar 9, 2016
    Canada
    Focus on banning real world problems like genital mutilation before simulated harm

8. DrGreed

DrGreed GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2016
    United States
    Okay now your miss reading me. I knew that. lol. I'm not an idiot and now believe that you're I.Q. isn't as high as you claim.
    I forgot you can't argue with people who have Asperger syndrome because you can't reason with them. They are "always right".

9. MartinDocNewland

Jul 7, 2012
    I understand you don't get it but no, this is how i am. Hope you understand that. I can't help it but please don't pick at my words. If you read what I put about why i explained about my I.Q then you would not be replying to me in the first place. Please keep up (can't help but look down on you now lol) Pick at that lol

10. DrGreed

DrGreed GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2016
    United States
    In that case I say let them do it. There are to many people on the planet anyway.

11. MartinDocNewland

Jul 7, 2012
    More like I can't argue for toss because of it and I do think your an idiot because of your views on Asperges suffers

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

No your right, we don't go boasting our I.Q but then again I'm sure i didn't

12. DrGreed

DrGreed GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2016
    United States
    Okay Albert Einstein calm down before you hurt yourself. It's true though I know someone just like you in real life and refuse to be around him for this reason. They won't accept any other opinion but their own.

• limited or inappropriate social interactions
    • "robotic" or repetitive speech
    • challenges with nonverbal communication (gestures, facial expression, etc.) coupled with average to above average verbal skills
    • tendency to discuss self rather than others
    • inability to understand social/emotional issues or nonliteral phrases
    • lack of eye contact or reciprocal conversation
    • obsession with specific, often unusual, topics
    • one-sided conversations
    • awkward movements and/or mannerisms

Sounds like you to.

Edit: Some of these things.**

kumikochan likes this.
  13. MartinDocNewland

Jul 7, 2012
    You are right, I do lack it a lot of the time like now. Regret having a say as it was pointless

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Yeah sounds like me but its not me. I don't want to get this wrong but i'm guessing that was a personal attack on your part?

14. Beerus

Beerus Gbatemp's God Of Destruction

May 3, 2017
    Canada
    Universe 7
    honestly the game look promising then u have people bashing the creativity of a developer saying thats fucked or whatever
    if u dont like it dont play it its easy as 123

15. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    "what many people do is judge on what is said rather than knowing that person"
    Given this is a forum I do have to go on what is said. I will certainly try to read between the lines, and infer things, or try to figure out what the person is attempting to say if their words are failing them. To do otherwise would be to do a disservice to the discussion. Equally in most cases, this certainly being one and the exceptions mainly being time sensitive things, you are free to revise your opinions or state other things support of them and I will try to consider them if I am made aware of it. In the end though I still only have the words to go on.

Thus far you have not provided any objection beyond "it happened to me, waaa". I can't work with that. There is no legal basis for that, no sound ethical basis for that (at least not one going society wide), no immediately obvious pragmatic basis that I can see and indeed may be one of those slippery slopes -- "I have had a relationship go bad before, seeing similar on TV reminds me of that, therefore I don't want to see it and it should be banned" would be functionally equivalent from where I sit* and I can't imagine people would support such a call. If your argument is emotion and personal opinion I get to dismiss it, however I thought I would explore the matter at hand and while I would have done it without your posts being there your posts certainly did not hurt my willingness to type up that little wall there. If I missed a point of argument, fell short somewhere, or your position is different (mine was that society as a whole benefits from works of fiction covering all things, you might be of the opinion that those that suffered abuse might be damaged enough by the mere existence of a work like this that it should be prevented, by force of law (or maybe market pressure), from being distributed) then please elaborate. Otherwise you are going to be linked something like https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/659/03/ and then we stop having fun.

*actually maybe not as relationships, and failures thereof, are an expected part of life for many... replace that with mugging if you want. "I was mugged once and seeing it happen to someone on TV...".

"but what I have said comes from personal expericence"
    OK. Tell me why it is relevant here? Going further you are in danger of appearing to suggest your opinion is somehow more valid by virtue of your past experiences here. If we were talking about developing a course of treatment for survivors then absolutely, here though you are another voice in the crowd (a notion several others before me in this thread have tried to put forward) and back to the thing from the start you are then only as good as the arguments you put forward.

As an aside I usually leave it unstated but might as well state it here.
    For this sort of thing I generally don't preface these sorts of things with platitudes (I know child abuse sucks, stating as such feels redundant and I care little for huggy nonsense), my tone will tend to be blunt, somewhat aloof (I quoted a comedian when I ran into an awkward position which could have conflated abuse and sex, quite far from any notions of diplomatic phrasing) and at a casual scan maybe even appear disrespectful (it won't be but may appear as such to said scan) or tactless. This annoys some people, I consider that a good thing. All of that is very deliberate. I appear not to be the only one in this thread that employs such styles either.

Finally I see a third edit to your earlier reply.
    " Would love to hear where you heard that. Sadly paedophiles come in all shapes and sizes using many differant methods so what you heard is wrong, trust me I know being on the reciving end "
    dihydrogen monoxide = H2O = Water. Most people drink it. Also http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html
    It was a riff on the common moral panic thing we see where some drug dealer or kiddie fiddler is seen to use encryption, a proxy server, usenet, torrents... basically some well known protocol or service. Some idiot politician gets up on stage and then says "we need to ban said common thing used by millions and possibly even required for the modern world".

KingVamp, rileysrjay and Memoir like this.
  16. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    Can we all agree that the last couple of pages have been wasted for no reason?

kumikochan and rileysrjay like this.
  17. rileysrjay

rileysrjay GBAtemp's official vinsclone speedster!

Apr 2, 2016
    United States
    Central City
    Agreed, the arguments have been going in circles for a while. Also iirc @MartinDocNewland said he was done arguing a couple pages back

Memoir likes this.
  18. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    Maybe that explains the redundancy?

rileysrjay likes this.
  19. MartinDocNewland

Jul 7, 2012
    I was but do I again explain myself? I'm sure you don't want me to lol

20. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Indeed, I guess rather than awaiting someone to present some arguments then someone is going to have to play devil's advocate. Hard to do against free speech, with most of us "getting" games and also being something of such limited harm potential (from a numerical perspective anyway) but not impossible, and may yield an interesting exploration into the degrees of such things. I would but apparently it is 3am and my feeble body needs sleep.

Edit
    Please do. Thus far you have not provided a reason we can explore on why we should call for this game to be banned or otherwise prevented from going on sale.

Last edited by FAST6191, Dec 5, 2017
    dAVID_ and rileysrjay like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice