Is cheating in single-player games a bad thing?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Mr. Looigi, May 20, 2019.

1. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    About the only thing it does it make it harder to compare the "same" game with other people -- if you nerf a mechanic then you fundamentally change a game and thus make comparison harder in a broad sense. That said your time to do with as you please and it is not like games are some sacred immutable work laid down by grand masters or some such.

Ryccardo, Superbronx and Mr. Looigi like this.
  2. ELY_M

ELY_M GBAtemp Regular

Dec 6, 2007
    United States
  3. Unleanone999

Unleanone999 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 15, 2018
    Togo
    Nope. It's your playthrough so you're free to do what you want with it, if you enjoy using cheats to make your life easy or enhanced your gaming experience so be it. Cheating on a mp game is a different story though.

Mr. Looigi and CORE like this.
  4. MythicalData

MythicalData GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 11, 2017
    United States
    I feel as if some games are truly hard to appreciate fully if you cheat though. I feel this way about games like EO and SMT, but I could see how some people might want some help with those :D

Mr. Looigi likes this.
  5. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Resident evil with infinite ammo is fun. :ninja:

ELY_M, Mr. Looigi, CORE and 1 other person like this.
  6. wownmnpare

wownmnpare GBAtemp Fan

Jan 9, 2014
    United States
    I'm using cheat on fire emblem games on my 3ds for support conversations only.

7. alexander1970

alexander1970 GBA Fan

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
  8. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Erm...I feel like I'm going to regret asking this, but...do you have examples of where this actually happened? :unsure:

I suddenly get the mental dystopian image of the police busting in a place, catching a player. And while's being dragged away, screaming "but I was playing singleplayer", one of them mutters a disgruntled "yeah, yeah, yeah...our records show that you clicked 'okay' to the EULA clause after 2.73 seconds. So don't even PRETEND you've read those 100+ pages wherein you agreed not to cheat AT ALL." :P

9. npiet1

npiet1 Member

Newcomer
    May 21, 2019
    Australia
    No. I cheat if I get bored of skill trees or upgrades but that's about it and only if the game has become tiresome collecting things.

CORE likes this.
  10. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    One could argue cheating takes away from the sense of accomplishment (and that is true to some extent) but there is more to a game than pure mechanics and you can still enjoy the story, characters, music, level design, scenery and so on even if the obstacles are easier to overcome.

People watch gameplay videos on YouTube, and that has zero interaction. Cheats still have you play the game, just on a lower difficulty setting.

There's also some emergent gameplay when you turn on some cheats, there's fun to be had when you play the game with a whole different set of challenges. Think of the infinite ammo rocket launcher in Resident Evil: ammo and weapon weakness are no longer an issue, but splash damage is suddenly something to consider, and the whole play tactic turns on its head.

This question reminded me of Dara O'Briain's bit on video games, this part in particular:

[​IMG]

MythicalData and Mr. Looigi like this.
  11. CORE

CORE 3:16

Jul 15, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I prefer to have fixed amount of Ammo no Infinite I like running out so I can switch to the other Gun that I saved Ammo for etc Doom being a good example always seem to use Shotgun more than anything even now modern Doom.

I tend to not like extra Ammo just enough to get by Full Clip for each Gun nothing more or less.
    Multiplayer Online Cheating is just stupid and pointless unless the whole purpose is to just hear someone bitch about you cheating which alone is pointless.

12. Stwert

Stwert GBAtemp Advanced Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    Stwert is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 6, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Scotland
    I like to play through once without any cheats. After that, if there’s a cheat that does something cool, I’ll use it.

13. Superbronx

Superbronx GBAtemp Regular

Apr 30, 2019
    United States
    Mount Everwhite
    Excellent point. For example back in the days when NES was nearing the end of it's life cycle a company called Galoob created the game genie and it breathed new life into all of those old games I had already beaten multiple times. Actually made me get them back out and dust them off.
    Not only could I make the game easier. I could also make them more challenging. I could give myself less time on a timed level or decrease my health bar, etc., etc.

I do not object to cheating in single player.

Mr. Looigi and CORE like this.
  14. ELY_M

ELY_M GBAtemp Regular

Dec 6, 2007
    United States
    No :) I really love to cheat on games. cheating is really fun for me! hahahahahahaha

Mr. Looigi likes this.
  15. Sethtimus Prime

Sethtimus Prime GBAtemp Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    United States
    No. Everyone plays their own way.