NULL

Is cheating in single-player games a bad thing?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Mr. Looigi, May 20, 2019.

1. Mr. Looigi
    OP

Mr. Looigi Where’s food?

Aug 8, 2018
    United States
    Rec Center
    I mean, is it the worst thing if people “cheat” when playing single-player games?

2. 8BitWonder

8BitWonder Small Homebrew Dev

Jan 23, 2016
    United States
    47 4F 54 20 45 45 4D
    I think any answer to that question is going to be subjective.

But my point of view has always been that if you have fun messing around in single-player with cheats, go wild.
    You play by your own rules in single-player, no one else's.

3. Seriel

Seriel Watching, waiting

GBAtemp Patron
    Seriel is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 18, 2015
    Antarctica
    It's up to you. Cheating in a purely single player game doesn't affect anyone else. If you think it's okay for you to cheat, have at it.

Larsenv, NFates and Mr. Looigi like this.
  4. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    No it's not. It's your experience! It's up to you how you want to play the game!

5. Unity150_magickavoxel

Unity150_magickavoxel Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2018
    Canada
    NO.

Mr. Looigi likes this.
  6. Garro

Garro Pendulum of souls!

Aug 15, 2009
    Chile
    Somewhere
    The only thing you should be asking is if cheating would ruin for you what could have been a fun single player experience.

Quantumcat and Mr. Looigi like this.
  7. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo G'nome

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    IMO if you're doing it just because you can't be bothered to actually play the game, yeah it's kind of a bad thing. For example, using infinite health or infinite ammo cheats in an FPS because you died at some part twice, and can't be bothered to figure out a way through yourself.

If you're doing it to fuck around or to get rid of useless time padding like grinding and such, then yeah that's fine. I usually use 2x exp cheats in Pokemon games cuz grinding off wild Pokemon is fucking boring and I don't want to waste hours doing it.

8. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Listen here bucko, don't let people tell you how to have fun with the stuff you paid money for. If you want to cheat in your single player games, then the only thing stopping you is... well

• Yourself
    • not being able to actually cheat in the game
    • some kind of legal contract terms of service thingy that may cause punishment if you do
    • that thing that dictates your morality
    Okay this suddenly went in the opposite direction. :blink:

But still, no one here can stop you from doing it. Just don't tell anyone about it like that one guy on twitter cause you might get made fun of. Unless is something cool like debug mode in sonic games on the megadrive. THOSE ARE ALWAYS FUN EVEN IF IT IS CHEATS. :P

Now excuse me while I make a cool crazy contraption for sonic in debug mode. :ninja:

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight, May 20, 2019
    Mr. Looigi likes this.
  9. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    I don't cheat in videogames,I do abuse bugs and glitches.
    Oh, and farm in videogames but that's different ;p

I only use cheats to quickly test something out for speedruns.
    But even that is rare...

Mr. Looigi likes this.
  10. MythicalData

MythicalData GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 11, 2017
    United States
    Why not? The point of a game is to play and enjoy it (usually anyway). Worst is you lose bragging rights for any cheated games :D

Ryccardo and Mr. Looigi like this.
  11. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    What if you get bragging rights for being the best cheater? Or even more creative? :creep:

Mr. Looigi likes this.
  12. chrisrlink

chrisrlink Intel Pentium III Hamster inside

Aug 27, 2009
    United States
    inside your crappy old PC
    tell that to Japan I'm sure it'll fall on deaf's ears the video game industry has the japanese governmen in their pocket let's look at this renting video games is illegal in japan (idk the punishment if done) cheating on a game equates to 5 years in prison fyi

13. MythicalData

MythicalData GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 11, 2017
    United States
    Reminds me of The Balanced Hackmons Tier on Pokemon Showdown. I used to be top 250 back 2 years ago :D same on Doubles OU

14. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

GBAtemp Patron
    osaka35 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    *shrugs* I usually reserve cheating for a second play-through or to avoid a little bit of grinding (go up 2-4 levels, or something, instead of spending an hour walking in circles, that kind of thing). Or if I want to just have fun with it, like out-of-bounds-glitching, or blasting through with 100% items on my second play-through. Or do funny cool stuff. But I do try and avoid cheats that'd ruin the experience of the game on first play-through.

Mr. Looigi likes this.
  15. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    For example old 90s FPS shooters are a blast to enter the god mode cheat code and all weapons and then go bonkers! You feel like a total hollywood action hero mowing down the scum of hell!

16. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Anyone tht uses cheats like infinite health is a knob if you can't get past a boss then you just sack the game or keep practising but if someone follows a Walkthrough then thts ok and puzzle point and click games if someone searches for the answers thts ok as can still learn from tht

17. RattletraPM

RattletraPM GBATemp's official 蒸気イーブイ

pip Reporter
    Jan 18, 2017
    Italy
    Shinjuku Station
    Nah, why should it be?
    Cheating in multiplayer games is bad because it can ruin the fun for other players, however, there's no such thing in single player ones. On the other hand, doing so after completing a certain game can actually improve its longevity by letting you experiment around with otherwise impossible things in the game's intended experience: think about the classic GTA cheat codes, for example. So... I really don't see what's wrong about it.

Mr. Looigi likes this.
  18. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    @Mr. Looigi
    Look how much fun I'm having. WEEEE No one can stop me. :creep:

[​IMG]

Mr. Looigi and RattletraPM like this.
  19. RattletraPM

RattletraPM GBATemp's official 蒸気イーブイ

pip Reporter
    Jan 18, 2017
    Italy
    Shinjuku Station
    Oh, I almost forgot about debug mode in Sonic games. Fun times, that was the closest thing we had to an official level editor back then! :P

20. CORE

CORE 3:16

Jul 15, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Absolutely not some Games have ridiculous things to unlock by doing this and that and by the time you get round to unlocking things your fed up looking at the Game but a trend that seems to be happening is you can buy a small patch to unlock stuff F**kOff! Dont be locking it in the first place I want to enjoy the Game whether it be at my pace or the scenary and Artwork but dont have time because you have to beat ABC to unlock XYZ.

By the time you get round to it you dont care nomore about your pace of play nor Artwork Graphics etc because it has become a choir and just the fun is gone plain and simple I really miss 90s to early 2000s Action Replay / Xplorer etc and those devices to play VCDs , MP3s later or FMVs and Audio Tracks via Games and the bonus of Cheats.

At the same time I got other Games to play not just this crap I am working on curently you dont mind if you beat the Game stuff automatically unlocks via Completion but just dont have the time for charades the same goes for Cheats Beat this Level or Game in a certain time or 3 Times etc and you unlock Infinite Health or Ammo I Need it now how am I suppose to unlock it when I need it to beat the Level in the first place you F***ing D**k!

Last edited by CORE, May 20, 2019
    Ryccardo and Mr. Looigi like this.
NULL