is buying the Nintendo's usb dongle the ONLY way

Discussion in 'NDS - Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection' started by test84, Jul 1, 2007.

Jul 1, 2007
  1. test84
    OP

Member test84 GBAtemp's last ninja 2.

Iran
    hi,
    is there any homebrew to make my laptop's wifi to connect to DS and let me get online and play games with other people or i SHOULD buy the dongle?
    thnx.

2. noamkot

Newcomer noamkot Advanced Member

Israel
    You don't need a homebrew, what you need is a driver that allows your laptop's wifi to act as access point.
    If your driver allows that then you might be able to connect and if it doesn't then you won't.

3. test84
    OP

Iran
    it can, since i connected it to my pocket pc, couldnt share anything but they discovered each other, so my laptop does emit signals, so how can i make DS think that i have that dongle? is there any homebrew made for this?

4. Cydewinder

Newcomer Cydewinder Member

New Zealand
    My laptop has built in wifi, but it's only for receiving signals, not sending them out so using it as an access point is a no go.

As for whether *Nintendo's* wifi dongle is the only choice, here in Japan I've seen wifi internet dongles that allow PSP's and DS's to connect to the internet through them. I don't know if they're available elsewhere, but they are much cheaper than the Nintendo dongle.

That being said, I've got a Nintendo one, and aside from the occasional hiccup, it works great.

5. Wanque

Member Wanque GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I'm not sure.
    I guess you'd need the laptop to be connected to the Internet through a cable, and you'd need to configure the laptop wireless card into acting as an Access Point.

Here's a page that might help - there are probably others out there (I'm sure you're not the first person to try).

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,13301334

6. test84
    OP

Iran
    i'm intrested in playing games, not browsing the net with DS.
    So the laptop has to emit some special signal, like dongle's, so the DS will *think* that its the same thing, since i cant configure my DS (unless there is a homebrew to do so), i have to do something with laptop. some program or configuration.

7. Cydewinder

Newcomer Cydewinder Member

New Zealand
    To my knowledge, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, the DS dongle doesn't actually emit any special signal.

It just acts as a wifi access point specifically tuned for your DS (so not any device can use it). BUT, a wifi access point open for any device to use (like a router, or a generic wifi dongle) works for the DS aswell. This is why you can go to Starbucks and use your DS online.

So you dont need to trick your laptop into thinking its a *DS Dongle*, you need to trick it into thinking other devices can use its internet connection. I noticed when I installed my dongle it set up a wireless network connection and shared my internet connection through it. Perhaps the answer lies in there somewhere.

8. noamkot

Newcomer noamkot Advanced Member

Israel
    There are two different ways of connecting wifi devices.
    The first one is through an Ad-Hoc connection (which means that two devices can see one another and both are equal).
    The second one is through an Infrastructure connection which means that one device acts as an access point and routes network traffic for all others.

All wifi network cards can do Ad-Hoc connections and act as client for an access point in an Infrastructure connection.
    But what you need is for your laptop to act as an access point and this is not a standard feature. Many have this feature but most don't since normally you just connect laptops to a dedicated access point/router.

9. test84
    OP

Iran
    i finally found out what i want.
    the feature my card which is 3945ABG should support is SOFT AP or software access point, which i donno it does it or not, there is a gigabyte drive that enables this, i'm registering at three wifi forums and gonna ask it, i'll post the results here.
    i wish really i could play some YuGiOh with u guys!

10. BakuFunn

Member BakuFunn Flameproof.

United States
    thats y u get a mac =P

11. test84
    OP

Iran
    i have a pc laptop!