Is blocking Nintendo servers with DNS really necessary if you just disable auto-downloads?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Agent McMuffin, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Agent McMuffin
    OP

Agent McMuffin Member

Newcomer
    Oct 14, 2015
    United States
    If you just disable automatic software downloads, whats the danger in not blocking the servers? I really don't want to use a DNS hack because I like the convenience of updating my games on the wii u without having to use a pc. Can they find out I have homebrew or something?

2. Ghassen-ga

Ghassen-ga GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 21, 2016
    legend has it , nintendo will update your system if you're connected online no matter what , there ha been some people who had their systems updated without their consent , and others while their systems were in sleep mode , as of yet , there is no real way to block the auto-update feature while online , expect for using a DNS server.

3. Agent McMuffin
    OP

Agent McMuffin Member

Newcomer
    Oct 14, 2015
    United States
    welp, looks like there is no other choice for now. Thanks, I will use the DNS server. Also, how do I go about updating my games if I block nintendo? And can I still play online games?

4. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    Use wup installer and download updates with usb helper. (Updates always have legit tickets). You can still play online

5. Agent McMuffin
    OP

Agent McMuffin Member

Newcomer
    Oct 14, 2015
    United States
    Awesome. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

6. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    A while after update 4.2ish, you have to accept a legal thing, that says nintendo may update your system at any time no matter what, so yea, gotta block updates....

7. Pachee

Pachee GBAtemp Regular

Nov 3, 2015
    United States
    Even with downloads, quickstart, sleep disabled the system re-enables downloading of updates at every boot and resumes the download. And then all it takes to start the update is accidentally tapping OK.

Last edited by Pachee, Dec 17, 2016