• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Is Biden Helping Build Russia-Germany Pipeline After Axing Keystone XL Here at Home?

tabzer

This place is a meme.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Imagine trying to bait people into a political argument using an article that you didn't even read through completely or think critically of at all. This post is shit, even for the politics board.

Thanks for your invaluable opinion. Imagine reading the OP and responding to points raised or discussing the material facts presented in the article. The discussion has cleared the "did you even read it?" mark and is at an argument about the interpretation of "waiving sanctions" being a form of help or not. I've made my stance known. You are implying that your stance is that it is not helping?

Tsundere_Neko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I find it funny how people always accuse the other side of being one way, and then when their side does the same thing it's completely ignored or blown off as "WeLl iT's DiFfErEnT"
Moral of the story; American politics are Devisive as f*ck and there's trashy people on all sides, and somehow that small minority is what the entire party is determined to be by the other side.
I didn't wanna join this convo but GBA temp isn't letting me leave so I guess I'm here now. And here I shall say; Biden is the Media's sweetheart and gets nothing but praise. Trump was the Media's bane and got nothing but hate.
When you have biased reporting it creates a warped sense of reality, wherein either you believe everything the media says because it's praising the person you like, or you ignore everything it says because it trashes the person you like.
Quite frankly I find it amusing how desperately people will flock to defend their side when less than a year ago the other side did the exact same thing and those same people where throwing a fit.
Feel free to respond to me. Or not. Either way depending on what you say I may just laugh at you.

Last edited by Tsundere_Neko,
Reactions: tabzer

tabzer

This place is a meme.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Last edited by tabzer,
Reactions: Tsundere_Neko

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Really this is just Biden letting Germany do what they want to do. Which is something I didn't think the US had much say in to begin with. Preferably the whole world would be on board with renewable energy and zero-emissions vehicles by now, but threatening/forcing other countries to convert is not an intelligent way to run government. So what is it about this news that's supposed to make me feel "betrayed," exactly?

tabzer

This place is a meme.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Really this is just Biden letting Germany do what they want to do. Which is something I didn't think the US had much say in to begin with. Preferably the whole world would be on board with renewable energy and zero-emissions vehicles by now, but threatening/forcing other countries to convert is not an intelligent way to run government. So what is it about this news that's supposed to make me feel "betrayed," exactly?

I would agree that it is a rational perspective, but the fact being overlooked is that the US did have a limited say which was being exercised up until the point that Biden removed it. It is not my point that this article isn't propaganda (it is), but that this would have been a lot more prevalent as propaganda with different verbiage, and references to President's love affair with Putin, had it been the previous administration (by your preferred medium).

I believe the "betrayal" is the suggestion that Biden hurt America by shutting down its keystone pipeline and then subsequently acted in easing restraints on one that benefits Russia.

Last edited by tabzer,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Stop, stop stop stop... :) (Didnt read most messages here.. :) )

This is not a 'If we cant have, it - they should not be allowed to have it either' thing. AT ALL. :)

First and the most important part. Necessity. US be like 'we energy independent (for about 100 years) - if we go fracking' -- also we have the entire infrastructure to produce 'rare goods' people usually produce from oil (fertilizers and industery stuff), from natural gas. Oh, and we have natural gas. Actually so much of it, more than half of it just leaks out 'during production'. (Should be about right.) And we still dont know, what to do with the thing, because oil is cheaper.

Germany be like: We have coal? The one where you have to remove entire mountains, valleys and vilages, to then run 20 meters of the entire soil floor (level) through machines to crunch through, and then get some.

So anything germany does to produce value (value add), as a society, has to come from 'doing smart things with goods that arent in place in germany'. Then export. Also, in winter, germany has to heat.
--

Thats the first part of the 'what the heck are you talking about' argument.

The second part is. 'Get the f*ck out of our country.' In international relations. And of course you dont, because you have basically linked our elites with yours, and now everything our elites (all of them actually), do all day - is kiss US ass.

Issue - even kissing US ass gets harder and harder, if you decided as a society, to do the energy transition (towards renewables) earlier. Because to make it short, germanys gas demand will raise by about 50% in the short term (next 15 years or so), then drop off (become less and less).

And the only f'ckng thing the US is doing is, to pressure our political elites to go the dumbfuck route to import more US shale gas, that gets shipped around half of the world, by tanker, and is the most expensive, when germany has russia - quite a bit closer to their borders, which can (and in the past have) supply(ied). Further more, so that germany doesnt get to fossile energy independence 'as early' - because the US still has shale gas to sell.

Thats essentially the discussion here. US doesnt do our politics (get that straight), but does by buying our elites (transatlantic projects *bleh*).
-

And even outside of 'essentially' - keystone got build, so the US would get even cheaper fossile energy. While they had much, much cheaper alternatives in country than coal, just not as cheap as the stuff they were able to procure from canada.

And the entire thing with climate change is 'give carbon a price' not make oil cheaper. Iiiiiiidi*cough*t.

Also not as an absolute - but if you try to cut a countries gas supply, knowing they need to import the stuff. Its different than penny gouging in Canada over something you already have. While knowing that 'needing more of the stuff' in the short term comes from trying to switch to renewable sources. None of that was the cause for keystone. That was just 100 people wanting to make money.
--

Third point. Because your rightwing internet brain tries to pull the same thing they did with china now with germany - as the Joe is weak on china thing didnt work out. THE FLIPPING REASON for the 'weak on china' thing not having worked out with Biden, was - that China essentially pushed full climate agenda, and the US said, f'ck you we have oil. We do at our own pace.

So the only f'cking thing that Biden wants in relation to Germany currently, is push his goddamn tankers down our throat. Which HARDLY is a weak position to take. That the pushback 'might still need gas pipelines from Russia' worked at all, was a thing without an alternative (we actually need quite a bit of that stuff in the next 15 years, and it certainly would help if we dont have to pay freaking US having to ship that thing around the world f'cking prices), to try to be one of the first industrial societies that does the energy transition. If US would have said no - germany would still have done it, because they needed to.
-

And last point. Most of this is about US interests sitting in flipping Ukraine, wanting them to still be able to control, the flow (amounts), getting money just from being a transitionary country -- cutting some percentage off of the price - because... Idk NATO? So there already was a pipeline. Now Russia has a semi warm war simmering in that country - but also has to send its gas to Europe towards that country, and US told us - yeah, its a great Idea to keep it that way - because that way US and NATO influence in that country can be higher. LETS NOT LET THEM BUILD AN ALTERNATIVE PIPELINE. Thats called geostrategy, and has everyone hating the US, just ask around the world.

Tell Germany to stop destroying their nuclear plants, so they don't have to badly depend on Russian oil.
They are just destroying them earlier. And the answer for future energy independence was not to build more of them. Literally. They are too frigging expensive to build (new). Considering alternatives.

Also 'just ask them to run a few old reactors, for a few decades longer' - who cares about risks (aside from that this was politically driven, but just about if now, or 10 years from now), is also the asshole move to pull.

They asked their citizens, citizens said, pull the plug now.

Last edited by notimp,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
    Veho @ Veho: @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip. +2