GCN Is anyone ever going to make a reproduction of the component cable?

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It could be possible, but the cables need to include the video encoding chip. That could be expensive and time consuming to reverse engineer and recreate, not to mention possible copyright issues. It's not impossible, but I wouldn't hold my breath. You'd probably be better off just using a Wii with component cables for now.

Reactions: Margen67
D

Deleted User

Isn't SCART the same quality as Component? Couldn't you get the SCART cable and an adapter?

D

Deleted User

Wii lacks compatibility with certain accessories/ people don't want to buy a Wii to play GC games when they already have a GC/ Wii isn't as portable/ Wii requires a Wii remote to boot up GC games/ Wii doesn't come in indigo/orange/platinum

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii lacks compatibility with certain accessories/ people don't want to buy a Wii to play GC games when they already have a GC/ Wii isn't as portable/ Wii requires a Wii remote to boot up GC games/ Wii doesn't come in indigo/orange/platinum

True, but it's a cheaper alternative. Some of those problems can be fixed with a bit of modding and homebrew. Other than that, I see your point, I'm just saying it's a cheaper alternative.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure why we are replying to this but hey.

Ignoring the new model wii and the various video cables what accessories are not backwards compatible? There is only the GB player and the broadband adapter from where I sit.
The GB player is a nice addition I guess and the broadband adapter would be useful for those few games with hacked servers/LAN/VPN options. Such things do not seem like that big a loss.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You can get third-party ones cheaply if you look around. The original Nintendo ones are insanely expensive, there's no reason why a cable should cost $100+.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can get third-party ones cheaply if you look around, here's a component cable for GC/XBox/360/PS2/PS3 and N64 by MadCatz. The original Nintendo ones are insanely expensive, there's no reason why a cable should cost $100+.
I don't believe that is a true component cable for the gamecube. The gamecube outputs component on the Digital A/V port where it outputs a proprietary 4:2:2 YCrCb signal. The component cable has an ASIC built in that converts this signal into YPbPr and I believe the ASIC also has the ability to output as a VGA RGB signal. Anyways, the rarity of the cable combined with that proprietary ASIC is what makes it expensive.

As for why someone would want the gamecube component cables rather than just getting a Wii and using it's component cables, well apparently component from the Wii is of lesser quality than that from the Gamecube. I have not used the gamecube component cables myself, so I cannot comment first hand, I had spoken to someone who was underwhelmed by how gamecube games looked through the Wii's component cables when he had already played them with the gamecube's component cables.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don't believe that is a true component cable for the gamecube. The gamecube outputs component on the Digital A/V port where it outputs a proprietary 4:2:2 YCrCb signal. The component cable has an ASIC built in that converts this signal into YPbPr and I believe the ASIC also has the ability to output as a VGA RGB signal. Anyways, the rarity of the cable combined with that proprietary ASIC is what makes it expensive.
See edit above. To be honest though, it's more cost-effective and less stressful to just grab one for the Wii, find a BC-capable Wii unit and play your games that way. Better yet, grab a Wii U, install Nintendont, use HDMI and forget about all the disc jazz. As much as I like playing games on the original platforms myself, when the BC is hardware-based and the only difference is "not paying a $100 for a cable that shouldn't cost more than $15", I'm going for the alternative.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
See edit above. To be honest though, it's more cost-effective and less stressful to just grab one for the Wii, find a BC-capable Wii unit and play your games that way. Better yet, grab a Wii U, install Nintendont, use HDMI and forget about all the disc jazz. As much as I like playing games on the original platforms myself, when the BC is hardware-based and the only difference is "not paying a $100 for a cable that shouldn't cost more than $15", I'm going for the alternative.

I, too, edited above adding in why someone may want the gamecube cable over playing on a Wii. That said, despite having that proprietary ASIC, making a clone is far from impossible as pretty much all the information needed to clone it is provided in Nintendo's patents that describes the signal sent out on the Digital A/V port.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I, too, edited above adding in why someone may want the gamecube cable over playing on a Wii. That said, despite having that proprietary ASIC, making a clone is far from impossible as pretty much all the information needed to clone it is provided in Nintendo's patents that describes the signal sent out on the Digital A/V port.
Very true, it's doable (and probably well-worth it if Nintendo collectors are willing to pay triple-digit prices for a piece of wire). So the image quality is worse on the Wii? Interesting, I wonder how it stacks up against the Wii U's HDMI. Sure, Nintendont isn't ideal since you can't use your own discs, but dumping them shouldn't be too difficult and, well, you get the benefit of using wireless controllers (since Wavebirds are also tough to get in some countries) and HDMI, so it sounds like it'd be worth the effort.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: For example, one of my other favorite songs from them, with some massive house music influence - +1