Is anyone ever going to make a reproduction of the component cable?

Discussion in 'Nintendo GameCube' started by Drud1995, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Drud1995
    OP

Drud1995 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    United States
    Magicant
    I'd love to purchase one, but they are just too damned expensive. If not, is an HDMI mod currently being worked on?

Margen67 likes this.
  2. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    It could be possible, but the cables need to include the video encoding chip. That could be expensive and time consuming to reverse engineer and recreate, not to mention possible copyright issues. It's not impossible, but I wouldn't hold my breath. You'd probably be better off just using a Wii with component cables for now.

Margen67 likes this.
  3. Snugglevixen

Snugglevixen Fox Princess

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    My den
    Isn't SCART the same quality as Component? Couldn't you get the SCART cable and an adapter?

4. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Why do you want/need them instead of say compositive?

5. Snugglevixen

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    My den
    Composite is fuzzy.

Margen67 likes this.
  6. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Well I never use either on my wide-screens so I can't tell the difference

7. bobmcjr

bobmcjr GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 26, 2013
    United States
    Margen67 likes this.
  8. DarkFlare69

DarkFlare69 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    Use wii

9. Snugglevixen

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    My den
    Wii lacks compatibility with certain accessories/ people don't want to buy a Wii to play GC games when they already have a GC/ Wii isn't as portable/ Wii requires a Wii remote to boot up GC games/ Wii doesn't come in indigo/orange/platinum

10. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    True, but it's a cheaper alternative. Some of those problems can be fixed with a bit of modding and homebrew. Other than that, I see your point, I'm just saying it's a cheaper alternative.

11. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Not sure why we are replying to this but hey.

Ignoring the new model wii and the various video cables what accessories are not backwards compatible? There is only the GB player and the broadband adapter from where I sit.
    The GB player is a nice addition I guess and the broadband adapter would be useful for those few games with hacked servers/LAN/VPN options. Such things do not seem like that big a loss.

12. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    You can get third-party ones cheaply if you look around. The original Nintendo ones are insanely expensive, there's no reason why a cable should cost $100+.

13. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    that looks mislabeled
    its composite + svideo

14. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Yeah, I noticed, hence the removed link. I have seen MadKatz component ones though.

15. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    I don't believe that is a true component cable for the gamecube. The gamecube outputs component on the Digital A/V port where it outputs a proprietary 4:2:2 YCrCb signal. The component cable has an ASIC built in that converts this signal into YPbPr and I believe the ASIC also has the ability to output as a VGA RGB signal. Anyways, the rarity of the cable combined with that proprietary ASIC is what makes it expensive.

As for why someone would want the gamecube component cables rather than just getting a Wii and using it's component cables, well apparently component from the Wii is of lesser quality than that from the Gamecube. I have not used the gamecube component cables myself, so I cannot comment first hand, I had spoken to someone who was underwhelmed by how gamecube games looked through the Wii's component cables when he had already played them with the gamecube's component cables.

16. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    See edit above. To be honest though, it's more cost-effective and less stressful to just grab one for the Wii, find a BC-capable Wii unit and play your games that way. Better yet, grab a Wii U, install Nintendont, use HDMI and forget about all the disc jazz. As much as I like playing games on the original platforms myself, when the BC is hardware-based and the only difference is "not paying a $100 for a cable that shouldn't cost more than $15", I'm going for the alternative.

17. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    I, too, edited above adding in why someone may want the gamecube cable over playing on a Wii. That said, despite having that proprietary ASIC, making a clone is far from impossible as pretty much all the information needed to clone it is provided in Nintendo's patents that describes the signal sent out on the Digital A/V port.

18. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Very true, it's doable (and probably well-worth it if Nintendo collectors are willing to pay triple-digit prices for a piece of wire). So the image quality is worse on the Wii? Interesting, I wonder how it stacks up against the Wii U's HDMI. Sure, Nintendont isn't ideal since you can't use your own discs, but dumping them shouldn't be too difficult and, well, you get the benefit of using wireless controllers (since Wavebirds are also tough to get in some countries) and HDMI, so it sounds like it'd be worth the effort.

19. Heran Bago

Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

Nov 6, 2005
    United States
    Foggy California
    480P real hardware gameboy advance hell yeah.

Snugglevixen likes this.
  20. andre104623

andre104623 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 9, 2014
    United States
    Philadelphia, PA

I'm just going to leave this here