Gaming Is Anyone Else In A DS Gaming Funk?

ViRGE

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I was going through the upcoming DS games list, and I've realized I'm in a funk. The vast majority of my games collection is mid-2008 or older; it seems like the vast majority of stuff out lately is casual crap, something infected with touchscreen-itis, or one of a massive swarm RPGs big enough to drown a whale. There's nothing new out there that's particularly compelling to play besides Henry Hatsworth, and the upcoming games list prints a grim picture.

Is it me or is the DS turning in to an entirely one-dimensional platform? It does a couple of genres in bulk, and everything else has fallen off of the map. At this point I'm starting to wonder if there's anything left to come out that's going to be any good.

Domination

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Senegal
I think that there are still many good games to be released on the contrary....

May 30, theres kingdom hearts 358/2 days... its going to be massive. Then theres The Legendary Starfy... its a good nintendo "marine platformer" coming to staeside for the first time
smile.gif
... And Pokemon Heart Gold/ Soul Silver... Then an innovative game Infinite Space that is a spaceship rpg.... Next up is Scribblenauts the creative "write a word and it comes to reality" game....

ViRGE

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
x.domination said:
Vague Rant said:
You realise four of those six games are RPGs?

Oh i didn't see that in his post. But those are great and may pique his in RPGs interest again... idk... And HG/SS are almost the same game...
Pokemon and Square games are the two biggest reasons I hate RPGs. So no, it wouldn't do anything for my interest.
frown.gif

As for Starfy, I had not seen that on the list. It looks like a bit of a clone of the Kirby series. Is it supposed to be any good?

Domination

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Senegal
ViRGE said:
x.domination said:
Vague Rant said:
You realise four of those six games are RPGs?

Oh i didn't see that in his post. But those are great and may pique his in RPGs interest again... idk... And HG/SS are almost the same game...
Pokemon and Square games are the two biggest reasons I hate RPGs. So no, it wouldn't do anything for my interest.
frown.gif

As for Starfy, I had not seen that on the list. It looks like a bit of a clone of the Kirby series. Is it supposed to be any good?
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=153863

A thread i made for starfy but got buried deep at the second page... there are vids, screens and links there, see for yourself

Joey Ravn

F*** you, Nintendo!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ViRGE said:
frown.gif

At first I thought this COULD be different to the other gazillion "recommend-me-a-game" threads out there, but now that you've started rejecting every suggestion made, I've realised this is just the same thing as ever.

We've all been there, done that. If you want good games to play, have a look at the Essentials list. It's a sticky, you can't miss it. It'll give you a good idea of what to try.

Domination

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Senegal
Joey Ravn said:
ViRGE said:
frown.gif

At first I thought this COULD be different to the other gazillion "recommend-me-a-game" threads out there, but now that you've started rejecting every suggestion made, I've realised this is just the same thing as ever.

We've all been there, done that. If you want good games to play, have a look at the Essentials list. It's a sticky, you can't miss it. It'll give you a good idea of what to try.

But he also wants good upcoming games...

War

Take it easy~
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Hell no, I'm not. I still have tons of good games to play. I have to catch up with all the new releases like Valkyrie Profile, Suikoden, Platinum, GTA, Hatsworth. I also have to go through the old ones I never played or never beat, like Magical Starsign, New SMB, M&L: Partners in Time, etc. If you ran out of games, then you're being too picky or you're not looking hard enough.

yozyoz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
War said:
Hell no, I'm not. I still have tons of good games to play. I have to catch up with all the new releases like Valkyrie Profile, Suikoden, Platinum, GTA, Hatsworth. I also have to go through the old ones I never played or never beat, like Magical Starsign, New SMB, M&L: Partners in Time, etc. If you ran out of games, then you're being too picky or you're not looking hard enough.

Same with me.

I haven't had the time to play the DS lately.. so there's a ton of game waiting for me haha

elixirdream

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
Same here! the last time i actually complete a DS game was PS0 and it was the 3rd or 4th game i ever completed on DS
frown.gif

there are close to 4000 games
smile.gif
there must be one of the old games you missed out? why not give them a chance!

as for new games? do you like inazuma11 ? the sequel is coming
smile.gif

overslept

WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WORLD
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wahh, don't mention PS0 >_>;; I can't wait for it, and it's not even coming out until Winter. It's been out forever, and Schtserv has turned me on to PSO. There isn't an English Translation either
frown.gif

Scraggles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
elixirdream said:
smile.gif

Thats an unfair statement as for every US game, there is usually the exact same game in Japanese and EU, which is counted as another two games.

On top of that, there are people like me, who absolutely cannot stand Japanese games. I'm so ridiculously sick of anime and the piss poor animation that comes with it. Am I the only one who finds scenes of the main character shouting, yet the mouth doesn't move, nor does the rest of their body, yet the background has 'lines' like they're moving at a high velocity to be incredibly stupid? I mean, seriously? I drew stick figures more intense than that when I was a kid. Yes. I love games like "Castlevania" but when I got into Castlevania, it was Simon Belmont, and not motherfucking Yoko Ono. The new DS 'vania games are awesome, but seriously? Who gives a damn about Yamagatchi Twins 'n shit.

Wow. This turned into a rant.

Ok, so some of us like games like Metroid. I totally see where this guy is coming from. I got my AK2i thinking I would load it up with games. I put a bunch on that I'm trying, but I always find myself going back to the ones I originally bought before I had my AK2i. Castlevania.

I would love to see metroid brought back to 2D. I absolutely hate the 3D aspect of it.

I wish Link wasn't a fucking infant any more. How many times has he celebrated his 16th birthday?

The 3D rendering on DS sucks and I wish the developers would acknowledge that. I love some of the games. Ok, Phantom Hourglass. Who thought of those controls? I played the first 'temple' and then erased it off of my AK2i because The main screen you are looking at when playing it, has my fat hands covering it with a damn stylus. There is a D-Pad, and 6 other buttons to be used. Why can't I use any of them for the game!?!?!??!! FUCK THEM MORONS.

P.S. I'll refrain from ranting on the subject again.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
The DS has just one good fighting game.
The DS has no good racing game to my knowledge.
The DS has a few good rhythem games, but not enough.

That is all.

Oh, and to the guy above. Play Metriod online. It's fucking fantastic. As for Zelda, though I think they really should've made an option for both D-pad and Touchscreen, I think people are complaining far too much about it.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Joey Ravn said:
...We've all been there, done that. If you want good games to play, have a look at the Essentials list. It's a sticky, you can't miss it. It'll give you a good idea of what to try.

This

Seriously, check out the stickies. If you own a DS flash card and can't find something to entertain yourself with, you likely have bigger issues than finding more games to try to pacify yourself with.

ViRGE

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
x.domination said:
Joey Ravn said:
ViRGE said:
frown.gif

But he also wants good upcoming games...
Yep. I've played the essentials list (and most of the good stuff out of the recommended list). I'm not looking for old things to play, I'm looking at what's going to be new. Thus far I'm lamenting the fact that that there's precious little on the upcoming games list that isn't casual crap or an RPG.
QUOTE(Scraggles @ May 16 2009, 03:04 PM) QUOTE(elixirdream @ May 16 2009, 12:04 PM)
smile.gif
Wow. This turned into a rant.

Ok, so some of us like games like Metroid. I totally see where this guy is coming from. I got my AK2i thinking I would load it up with games. I put a bunch on that I'm trying, but I always find myself going back to the ones I originally bought before I had my AK2i. Castlevania.

I would love to see metroid brought back to 2D. I absolutely hate the 3D aspect of it.

I wish Link wasn't a fucking infant any more. How many times has he celebrated his 16th birthday?

The 3D rendering on DS sucks and I wish the developers would acknowledge that. I love some of the games. Ok, Phantom Hourglass. Who thought of those controls? I played the first 'temple' and then erased it off of my AK2i because The main screen you are looking at when playing it, has my fat hands covering it with a damn stylus. There is a D-Pad, and 6 other buttons to be used. Why can't I use any of them for the game!?!?!??!! FUCK THEM MORONS.

P.S. I'll refrain from ranting on the subject again.
No, keep going. You may very well be my new best friend, because that's pretty much what's going through my head, minus the hate for Japanese games.

Scraggles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ViRGE said:
No, keep going. You may very well be my new best friend, because that's pretty much what's going through my head, minus the hate for Japanese games.

Should I go on about how all the games are looking like they're geared towards 8 year olds? I just got done trying out 'Dragon Quest - Rocket Slime'. Shoot me in the fucking face. The dialogue was absolutely horrendous. I'm starting to think about developing my own damn game for crying out loud.

Joey Ravn

F*** you, Nintendo!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ViRGE said:
Yep. I've played the essentials list (and most of the good stuff out of the recommended list). I'm not looking for old things to play, I'm looking at what's going to be new. Thus far I'm lamenting the fact that that there's precious little on the upcoming games list that isn't casual crap or an RPG.

That doesn't make any sense. We can only speculate about how good (or bad) a game will be if it's not released yet. If you don't have anything to play right now, then know how good a certain game that will be released in the near-to-mid future will do you no good. You'll still have nothing to play at the moment, which is the issue you want to solve. I seriously doubt you've played and beaten all the games from the Essentials list, even if those that pleased you were but few, but still, if you could still read the Underrated Games list. And, obviously, follow this nifty guidelines.

That WILL give you a good general panorama. And if you're still not satisfied, keep your flashcart in a drawer for some months, buy some games and learn to fully enjoy them before dissing them.

QUOTE(Scraggles @ May 17 2009, 12:47 AM) Should I go on about how all the games are looking like they're geared towards 8 year olds? I just got done trying out 'Dragon Quest - Rocket Slime'. Shoot me in the fucking face. The dialogue was absolutely horrendous. I'm starting to think about developing my own damn game for crying out loud.

Oh, great, this guy. Ok, you made your point clear: you don't like the DS. Why are you still posting in GBAtemp, then? Looking for some reassurance that your opinion is "correct", maybe? Yes, the DS is for babies. Now go play something you like and stop ranting.

Walo

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I've been in the same situation as you for about a month now. Last game I beat was Henry Hatsworth and I can't see anything good on the horizon.
I went back to my list of games and added Super Princess Peach and Giana Sisters, which are average and don't hold my interest. And I just can't get into the HUGE list of RPG's been released lately. I like RPG's but lately I just look at them and meh.
Although I must say Touch Controls worked great for Zelda, so you might go and try it again.

The underrrated list doesn't show anything, so I don't know.. I just want a nice game again.

Scraggles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Joey Ravn said:
Oh, great, this guy. Ok, you made your point clear: you don't like the DS. Why are you still posting in GBAtemp, then? Looking for some reassurance that your opinion is "correct", maybe? Yes, the DS is for babies. Now go play something you like and stop ranting.

LOL, I love the DS? Who are you kidding? I bought the DS when it originally came out, and about 2 weeks ago I just got the DSi.

I am just very disappointed in some of the developers there batman.

I'm 26. I have the money to buy this stuff.

8 year olds don't. They might want to give mom and dad another reason to buy the system. the DS is capable of games around the SNES era, those SNES kids are all growed up! We still want to see some stuff reminiscent of our childhood days.

Shit, even at 8 years old, I was playing stuff like Contra, Double Dragon, Metroid, Castlevania. I don't remember playing Pretty fucking Princess Patty. Stop dumbing our kids down to a 3 year olds level.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    if ur on a Chromebook and cant change jack about the laptop that's what I gotta use
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    One of the sites that weren't blocked on the school's network was some file uploading sites. I would upload some games, write down the URL and take it to school one day.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I did it when the teachers werent looking ofc. I even managed to take in a USB stick that wasn't allowed.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my school has a chrome extension called light speed filter agent and it legit blocks YouTube pfps since the file cdn(I think aka yt3.ggpht.com) is classed as mature
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    mhm
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    they have other stuff like goguardian too
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ours mainly relied on the router, I believe.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school network and chrome policies block stuff too
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    alot of yt to mp3 sites are blocked by light speed for "Security"
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was easy to bypass some of the restrictions, as one of the admins left a registry key in the administrative shares drive, which allowed me to get around the blocking of some sites.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    tf does tta mean
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    yeah this is chrome os
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    cant do shit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Wdym 'TTA'?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    that* as in why yt to mp3 sites are blocked for security
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Remember when YouTubetoMP3 was a thing back in the 2010s?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Until YT updated some stuffs and broke the website.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I was 2 in 2010
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Oh lol
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    This was in the Minecraft-era.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    lol Bun rockin out at 2 :rofl2:
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol Bun rockin out at 2 :rofl2: