Is anyone else excited for the possibility of an N64 classic mini?

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Given the last two minis I think it is a given this one is gonna get hacked too.

I mean ninty can't even lock down their main consoles, let alone these small cash grabs.
Yeah... And given that the NES and SNES can be emulated on a phone for the last five years, I can also think it's a given that n64 emulation would be perfected by now. Unfortunately, that's not the case either.

BTW... It's probably unintentional, but your last sentence suggests that nintendo would want to protect these things from hacking more than the switch. I... Choose to think that the term cash grab (to which i agree) means that they haven't spend a dime on security on these classic consoles.
Edit: disregard this... This was my fault.

Last edited by Taleweaver,
Reactions: x65943

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah... And given that the NES and SNES can be emulated on a phone for the last five years, I can also think it's a given that n64 emulation would be perfected by now. Unfortunately, that's not the case either.

BTW... It's probably unintentional, but your last sentence suggests that nintendo would want to protect these things from hacking more than the switch. I... Choose to think that the term cash grab (to which i agree) means that they haven't spend a dime on security on these classic consoles.
It may be because English is not your first language, but the implication was that Nintendo is NOT spending money on security for these minis.

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/let_alone

See the first definition of "let alone"

I agree that Nintendo 64 emulation is still bad, and that most likely we are gonna have low compatibility after the thing is hacked.

Reactions: Taleweaver

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It may be because English is not your first language, but the implication was that Nintendo is NOT spending money on security for these minis.

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/let_alone

See the first definition of "let alone"

I agree that Nintendo 64 emulation is still bad, and that most likely we are gonna have low compatibility after the thing is hacked.
You're right. Sorry...
I know the definition of what you said, but read the first part wrong. Either way: i was wrong. Sorry. :shy:

Reactions: x65943
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could understand maybe some of the Rare games if they were with Nintendo characters and thus were otherwise languishing, assuming Nintendo went and slapped down a reasonably fat cheque for it.
The only two examples that fit are Diddy Kong Racing and Donkey Kong 64. I just realized I had a brain fart and somehow forgot Perfect Dark and Goldeneye were Rare games too. Back then I was obsessed with my N64, but today I struggle to find any games that weren't done better on another platform, or that weren't outclassed by sequels.

It's all just wishful thinking anyway. Too much R&D involved on the software side and the hardware would have to be significantly beefier than the NES/SNES Classics. Even if it did release, it would be prohobitively expensive, and if the Wii VC is anything to go by, the emulator would be hacky and game-specific. Hacking it to add more roms would be an exercise in frustration.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: :rofl2: