Gaming is anyone else concerned about the current state of wii game line-ups?

dlxowhd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
since naruto ex 3 and tatsunoko vs marvel came out last year, i haven't seen 1 single game that even slightly interests me.
what's going on? why so many shovelware games and pos games?
i'm sure everybody has a different taste, but i would assume everybody in general is not enjoying the recent lineup (or the lack of) of shitty games.
i mean wii is the best selling console and has outsold other consoles by far, so wii should be getting more games imo.
does it have anything to do with all these hacking and pirate stuff?

WarmWoollySheep

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Here's what's going on:

A quality game takes 2-4 years to produce.

No publisher predicted the Wii to do well. Not one. In 2004, they began producing quality games for Sony and Microsoft. Nintendo was a joke.

When Wii first broke sales records, most publishers couldn't believe it and made excuses ("the fad will die down any day now!") Hard to blame them, they invested millions into cutting-edge engines for two poorly selling consoles, Wii being a fad was all they could hope for. Now most of them are laying people off.

By the time the cries of, "Wii is a fad! Wii is a gimmick!" died down, and publishers accepted the painful truth that Nintendo had won the war, it was late 2007. I'll repeat, a quality game takes 2-4 years to produce.

On top of that, publishers don't understand Wii's market. They have no idea what Wii owners want. They were as baffled that Guitar Hero 3 sold (it almost wasn't even made for the console, Rock Band wasn't planned for Wii at all until they saw their competitor's sales) as they were that Wii Play, or Resident Evil 4 sold. They simply don't know what to do with this console, and with the economy hurting, they're afraid to experiment.

I predict the great Wii games over the next 2 years will not come from the slow moving big publishers, but from smaller developers willing to risk what little they have.

alucard77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1- House of the Dead - Overkill
2- Madworld
3- Conduit

Yeah, I am very concerned. There is enough to keep you busy for a while. All these are Wii specific titles and are supposed to be great.

If your into fighters, this most likely is not the right system for you. Maybe thats the disappointment. But there are games to get excited over.

eruvalar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Don't forget Deadly Creatures. Also there are great WiiWare-titles that might get picked up as full games.
Very insightful post Mr. Sheep.

imapterodactyl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These are also on the horizon:

1. Dead Rising: Chop 'til You Drop (hopefully the controls can make up for the apparent lack of zombies)
2. All the 'New Play Control' games (remakes yes, but the new controls will add a hell of a lot... especially to the Metroids... and Pikmin's a blast)
3. Marble Saga Kororinpa
4. Let's Tap (many are already playing the Japanese version, but English menus will be nice)
5. Boom Blox: Bash Party

Deadly Creatures is out today (in the US at least), and Madworld looks great.

BiscuitBee

Semi-Resident Cookie-Bug
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
imapterodactyl said:
3. Marble Saga Kororinpa
This is the first I've heard of it... and it's due this March?! What a hidden gem the first one was. My friends can't find it in stores anywhere
ohmy.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lul wut?

House of the Dead: Overkill
Deadly Creatures
Onechanbara
The Conduit
Monster Hunter 3
Madworld
Sin & Punishment 2
Overlord: Dark Minions
Pro Evolution Soccer 2009
Ghostbusters The Video Game
Lets Tap
Little King's Story
Dead Space
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Crystal Bearers
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
Spore Hero
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Smash-Up
Spyborgs
Endless Ocean 2

And that is whats confirmed! Lets not forget Ninja Breadman 2
smileipb2.png

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Warm Woolly Sheep said:
Here's what's going on:

No publisher predicted the Wii to do well. Not one. In 2004, they began producing quality games for Sony and Microsoft. Nintendo was a joke.

When Wii first broke sales records, most publishers couldn't believe it and made excuses ("the fad will die down any day now!") Hard to blame them, they invested millions into cutting-edge engines for two poorly selling consoles, Wii being a fad was all they could hope for. Now most of them are laying people off.

By the time the cries of, "Wii is a fad! Wii is a gimmick!" died down, and publishers accepted the painful truth that Nintendo had won the war, it was late 2007. I'll repeat, a quality game takes 2-4 years to produce.

On top of that, publishers don't understand Wii's market. They have no idea what Wii owners want. They were as baffled that Guitar Hero 3 sold (it almost wasn't even made for the console, Rock Band wasn't planned for Wii at all until they saw their competitor's sales) as they were that Wii Play, or Resident Evil 4 sold. They simply don't know what to do with this console, and with the economy hurting, they're afraid to experiment.

I predict the great Wii games over the next 2 years will not come from the slow moving big publishers, but from smaller developers willing to risk what little they have.

Exactly, the games that started being developed in 2007 are coming out now.. the Wii should have some more quality titles from now on.
Also, in the US and Europe, the difference between the 360 and the Wii is still not too big, making 360 games are worth. But, in Japan, the gap is huge.. the Wii has a userbase with almost double the base of both competitors combined.. so, more japanese marketed games are certain to come to the Wii, Monster Hunter 3 and Dragon Quest X are proof of it. You can expect more RPGs and stuff like that... like is happening with the DS now.

alucard77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not to mention Punch-Out!!! is supposed to be released this year as well. Can't forget that one. That should be on the list for 2009 games.

dlxowhd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, i feel relieved now, because i'm looking for some blockbuster type of games for wii. (like halo for x360 and gta4 for ps3).
let's just hope that developers won't diasppoint us.

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is Monster Hunter 3 still p2p (pay to play) for online..? I really hope they don't jump to that conclusion. I don't to pay for friendcode service monthly.

Edgedancer

Director of Moon based operations
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Anakir said:
Is Monster Hunter 3 still p2p (pay to play) for online..? I really hope they don't jump to that conclusion. I don't to pay for friendcode service monthly.
I dont believe that the game is coming out in America/Europe.

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edgedancer said:
Anakir said:

I don't see why it wouldn't though. It Monster Hunter 2 sold pretty well in America if I remembered correctly.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edgedancer said:
Anakir said:
The remake of MH1 isn't coming out here but MH3 has a big chance.

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hadrian Uranium said:
Edgedancer said:
Anakir said:
The remake of MH1 isn't coming out here but MH3 has a big chance.
Well hers some insight on the pay to play. No MH game in America has done this. Most recently though, MH1 remake for Wii is pay to play in Japan. If they do make it pay to play, don't count on friend codes. If its free... well you know what. Unless Nintendo comes to their senses and Capcom gives them an ultimatum.

WarmWoollySheep

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
CockroachMan said:
in Japan, the gap is huge.. the Wii has a userbase with almost double the base of both competitors combined.. so, more japanese marketed games are certain to come to the Wii, Monster Hunter 3 and Dragon Quest X are proof of it. You can expect more RPGs and stuff like that... like is happening with the DS now.

YES!

And that's why I buy consoles, for the eastern games
smile.gif

If I want to play a western game, I'll boot up my PC.

r3l4x

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
users.pandora.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Warm Woolly Sheep said:
CockroachMan said:
in Japan, the gap is huge.. the Wii has a userbase with almost double the base of both competitors combined.. so, more japanese marketed games are certain to come to the Wii, Monster Hunter 3 and Dragon Quest X are proof of it. You can expect more RPGs and stuff like that... like is happening with the DS now.

YES!

And that's why I buy consoles, for the eastern games
smile.gif

If I want to play a western game, I'll boot up my PC.

My thoughts exactly, I'm waiting on the RPG's like Arc Rise Phantasia which looks promising, not to mention Tales of Symphonia which I've been playing for a while now. And like it's been said it takes 2 - 4 years to produce a good game, right now it's just waiting and trying to find the treasures in the dump heap.

CreX

Trophies
Website
backloggery.com
XP
Country
Warm Woolly Sheep said:
Here's what's going on:

Could not have put it better my self. Thats exaclty whats going on. Now starting 2009 EA for example move 50% of their dev resources to Wii. First announced is Dead Space. So the big guys are really slow moving with Wii, as "Warm Woolly Sheep" nicely said.
biggrin.gif

hksmrchan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Over looked games. Tons of them.

Castle of the shikigami III
GUILTY GEAR
Trauma center
Trauma center: New blood
Dance Dance Rev. (Stop it with that rock band shit.)
Let's tap
CoD5
GUILTY GEAR
GUILTY GEAR
GUILTY GEAR

People have to look away from the hype. There are many games that are good, just really overlooked.

Plus, Imagine games and shovelware are not as "shitty" as you think. They work wonders on children from 5-10, why the hell do you think they keep making shovelware? Someone must be buying them, and it's the soccer moms.

Protip: Brawl is not the best fighting game.

Wii: variety
Xbox360: FPS, FPS, FPS, FPS, FPS, FPS, FPS 2, FPS TRIPLE... JK. Red ring of death.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: 🤮