Is anyone actually trying to make GBA work for DSi?

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by FrederiqueWP, Sep 18, 2010.

1. FrederiqueWP
    OP

Newcomer FrederiqueWP Newbie

United States
    I heard a couple of cards are capable of making GBA games work on DSi (in which they have hardware upon the card itself to make it work).

I would not mind an Acekard 3i which has these capabilities, I'd gladly rebuy.

I've been very eager to play Golden Sun again, but I can't be bothered to buy another card that supports it (love my Acekard 2i), nor get a DS Lite with a slot-2 card.

So does anyone know if any Acekard 2i developer is giving a go at it? I stumble upon threads dating back to 2009 where this was discussed as well, we are nearing 2011 and still nothing new as far as I'm concerned.

2. worlok375

Member worlok375 GBAtemp's prince

United States
    You shouldn't be concerned. You should just know that it isn't possible for the acekard 2i.

Also, Misleading title is misleading. [​IMG]

3. FrederiqueWP
    OP

United States
    Thanks for the quick reply.

However, your answer is not satisfying enough. I would like to hear from the people that have tried, what exactly within the hardware model is preventing them to create a GBA emulator, assuming DSi > GBA hardware-wise.

As far as I'm concerned (which I am very gladly), there just hasn't been anybody that bothered to go all the way and resolve any issues that came standing in the way. Theoretically it should be possible as long as the Nintendo DSi is greater in hardware compared to the Nintendo Gameboy Advance.

As a developer I know that in software anything is possible (it comes down to 0's and 1's in the end), as long the hardware is capable of running it smoothly enough.

4. 0ddity

Member 0ddity GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    The NDS is not powerful enough to emulate the GBA, GBA games have to run native with slot 2 solutions, or take advantage of the onboard processor of cards like the SCDS2.

5. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    I think it's pretty highly doubtful that you'll ever see a NDS card without onboard CPU playing DSi games, even if DSi mode is cracked.
    I think someone said that the DSi doesn't have enough cpu power to emulate GBA, and even if it did...
    - Would the AK2i be able to use DSi features when it's cracked?
    - Or will the DSi be able to prevent what it sees as a NDS game trying to access DSi features?
    - Or can a firmware upgrade make the AK2i appear as a DSi game?

If you're so willing to buy an "AK3i" at some point in the future if it has GBA emulaton, why not just get a DSTwo now?

Again, DSi, not NDS.

6. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    The Acekard 2i only accesses DS Mode so they wouldn't be able to put the extra power to use.
    You probably know why we can't have a GBA emulator for DS/Lite.

7. FrederiqueWP
    OP

United States
    Thanks for the clarifying replies so far.

I hope Acekard 2i will ever look into it, if not, I'll have to look into buying another card, does anyone have any recommendations?

8. 0ddity

Member 0ddity GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    For DSi, if you want to be able to play GBA games, you should get the Supercard DSTwo, I have heard people say Golden Sun works on it's GBA emu.

9. Mantis41

Member Mantis41 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Cheers [​IMG]

10. FrederiqueWP
    OP

United States
    I'm very happy with my Acekard 2i with the exception of GBA game support. I buy from NDS-Gear, but it does not enlist this cart (it does enlist DSTT under the DS/DS Lite section).

I'm going to try to look up reviews about the card you mentioned. If you have any recommendations, feel free to share.

11. soulx

Canada
    The DSTWO like previously mentioned is a really good flashcart.
    It has a more powerful CPU and can emulate GBA/SNES games. Also, you don't have to convert video files to play them on the DS.

You can purchase the DSTWO from ShopTemp.
    shoptemp.com

12. FrederiqueWP
    OP

United States
    The Supercard DSTWO card looks nice (looking at the package and price).

I assume it is quite better than the Acekard 2i? Even software-wise?

13. soulx

Canada
    It is.
    Personally, I don't like the UI but you may have a different opinion. You should get a DSTWO. You won't regret the purchase.

14. DarkShinigami

Member DarkShinigami #1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI

United States
    you should get the scds2 from the shop temp. it is the cheapest price ive seen for it

15. FrederiqueWP
    OP

United States
    I'm considering buying it, I was afraid the software might not be as great, but I think I'll go for it.

16. WaffleDee

Newcomer WaffleDee Advanced Member

Canada
    I haven't had any software problems with mine.

17. gumphfy

Newcomer gumphfy Member

United States
    Why is everyone so obsessed with having the DSi doing things it was never designed to do?
    If you wanna play GBA games, get yourself a GBA and an EZ-Flash IV cart.
    I got a used SP for $10 and the cart for $25...And the DSTWO is how much? Around $35... and it only emulates...

18. twiztidsinz

United States
    Not to say you're wrong, because you're very much right, but it's the whole 'everything in one' idea.

DSi + DSTwo = one device
    DSi + other flashcart + GBASP + EZ-Flash = two devices.

I've been tempted to buy a Gameboy Micro... if the screen wasn't so freaking tiny.
    Sidenote: Can 'Slot 2' devices, like the EZ-Flash run GB/GBC games on a GBASP (or NDS for that matter)? or do you need an emulator?

19. gumphfy

Newcomer gumphfy Member

United States
    To my knowledge, the only way of playing GB/GBC games with carts like the EZ-Flash, is to emulate. I only know of Goomba Color (link)

20. twiztidsinz

United States
    Thanks. I figured that was the case, but wanted to ask since the GBASP can play GB/GBC games through the regular slot.
    So if I do get anything, it'll most likely be an EZ-Flash 3in1, rather than a replacement GBASP+'slot 2' (I'd prefer real loading rather than emulated).