Hacking Is AK2 making worse use of my microSD than R4?!

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Running a 2GB KINGMAX microSD which wouldn't lag any on the R4DS during the Castlevania DOS intro movie. Now on my new AK2 it lags terribly. Is this the AK2's fault? Is it related to formatting? If so how can I format my microSD to operate at max possible speed?

TheWingless

Wafuu~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I think there was an .ini that you could edit for the micro SD speed in case the AK2 doesn't set your MicroSD speed correct automatically or something like that. I don't quite remember it all but you could try searching.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
PLEASE help me with that. I've found forum posts but all say to "change the speed" without mentioning WHICH speed that is.

As far as I understand I'm supposed to have a card under [SD Card Speed] but I have none. I've added KINGMAX's 2GB model code as described by the instructions and tried 4666 3333 or even 0, they had NO IMPACT on speed. PLEASE provide me with a sample of what the file should contain...

layzieyez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have your R4 still, I'd stick with it for now since you're not even using 4GB microSDHC. I experimented with the AK2 for a little bit, but I'm thinking of sticking with my M3 Real and EDGE cards until AceKard team releases a more stable firmware. I think they need to go back to the drawing board like M3 team did with Sakura. Sakura and the old M3 Real firmware is like night and day. If there is a version of the Sakura firmware that can run on AK2, then I might dig my AK2 back out.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Pfft... I originally got my AK2 because I wanna use more than 2GB of memory so I guess my current memory is destined to burn in hell sooner or later anyway... =\

I'm gonna try for a Transcend 4GB or something 8GB which is class 4... I can't believe I'm discovering this just now... jesus christ I'd have had second thoughts about buying my AK2 if I knew...

EDIT:

This isn't making any sense!

By adjusting the speed option in sdlist.ini I actually managed to even stop the dreaded Castlevania: POR from freezing! Yes I can actually play the game. But the DOS intro STILL lags now I am sure the intro is in no way more demanding than POR so what the heck?

layzieyez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, I don't even think AK2 can run an 8GB at the moment. I use my 8GB Sandisk in my EDGE and 4GB Transcend cards in my M3 Real.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
layzieyez said:
Actually, I don't even think AK2 can run an 8GB at the moment. I use my 8GB Sandisk in my EDGE and 4GB Transcend cards in my M3 Real.
Why wouldn't it be able to use 8GB microSDHC's? There's absolutely no reason to why that wouldn't work.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I have a question, someone mentioned sdlist.ini, I found a setting in globalsettings.ini aswell called sdCardSpeed, and its default value is 0. What does it do and how do I use it?

helpme

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
I have a question, someone mentioned sdlist.ini, I found a setting in globalsettings.ini aswell called sdCardSpeed, and its default value is 0. What does it do and how do I use it?

ive got a kingston which is the same as Toshiba so i typed 02 in the sdCardSpeed part of the globalsettings.ini but it did not help with the extreme slowdown im having with my card
but i may be wrong in how this works.......

QUOTE// This is a list to identify sd cards which supported by RPG
// offical ds programs work fine only with the supported sd cards
// homebrew programs could work with all sd cards
// this file will be updated by RPG if user used a unknown sd card
// on rpg

[SD Card Manufacturers]
02 = Toshiba
03 = Sandisk
13 = Kingmax
1c = Transcend

[SD Card Speed]
// CARDNAME = SPEED
// smaller number is faster
// like this:
// 02 means toshiba sd512 means sd card model
// 02SD512 = 0x480
// 02SD01G = 0x480
// 02SD04G = 0xC80

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
So that's how you use sdCardSpeed? You type in your model manufacturer's number?

It's done, and I think 1333 is the lowest value. 13 is kingmax so my 2GB would be 13DS02G right? Are there any lower values?

seren

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
0x480 is 1152 and 0xC80 is 3200. So i assume those are the min/max speeds you can choose from.

So if you had a Toshiba 4gigs, you would uncomment

02SD04G = 0xC80

or adjust the speed value to something else in between (in hex). I've never had problems so i never tried it.

layzieyez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Minox_IX said:
layzieyez said:
Why wouldn't it be able to use 8GB microSDHC's? There's absolutely no reason to why that wouldn't work.
If I had two 8GB cards, I might try it out myself. I just figured with the dependency on high speed SDHC, an 8GB class 4 card would be too much for the firmware to handle. I don't want to go to all the trouble of reformatting my 8GB, loading it with test ROMS (I'd have to load it up to near capacity to make a fair comparison against the EDGE card's capability to handle), and play each game for errors. I have a wife who is 7 months pregnant, my daughter to take care of, and I work for the military. It's getting hard for me to make time as it is.

Kellicros

Trophies
XP
Country
layzieyez said:
Minox_IX said:
layzieyez said:
If I had two 8GB cards, I might try it out myself. I just figured with the dependency on high speed SDHC, an 8GB class 4 card would be too much for the firmware to handle. I don't want to go to all the trouble of reformatting my 8GB, loading it with test ROMS (I'd have to load it up to near capacity to make a fair comparison against the EDGE card's capability to handle), and play each game for errors. I have a wife who is 7 months pregnant, my daughter to take care of, and I work for the military. It's getting hard for me to make time as it is.
What? AK2 firmware takes Class 6 cards hands down, 8GB should work, albeit Sandisk's 8GB is Class4 which is a bit slower, meaning: choppiness on a few picky games.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I've been trying to figure out exactly what class my Kingmax 2GB is. All I could find is 66x 12.5MB/s nothing about minimum write speed and no specs. Does anybody have an idea what class it is?

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There is no "class" for a microSD card. The standard was developed for microSDHC cards. In general, microSD cards can be formatted with FAT16 which should be faster than FAT32.

-Bri

jabjab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Searinox said:
I've been trying to figure out exactly what class my Kingmax 2GB is. All I could find is 66x 12.5MB/s nothing about minimum write speed and no specs. Does anybody have an idea what class it is?
you could use a tool like cf_bench and work out what it would be by comparing vs those already tested and/or other cards you have.
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pDH...crUdQ&gid=2 is a spreadsheet someones made and im sure there is some speed comparison thing here too.
Be useful for others to post their results to see a decent comparison.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    fluff663 @ fluff663: hoi