is ak 2i the best dsi flash card atm?

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by 5%, Jun 16, 2009.

Jun 16, 2009
  1. 5%
    OP

Member 5% GBAtemp Fan

i'm hoping to pick up a dsi today so i'll have to be replacing my r4 with a new flash card that's compatible with the dsi. i've only heard of ak 2i & r4i working on the dsi. can anyone bring me up to date? are these the only 2 flash cards working on the dsi today? which one is better? thanks

2. dewback

Member dewback GBAtemp Regular

United States
    the R4i is a fake the R4 team has not been active for over a year because of the Big N.

there are other options
    iTouch2
    Supercard DSONEi
    EZFlash Vi
    M3Zero
    and many more

the AK2i is a very good card to run with the AKAIO loader
    thing the AK2i is missing is
    real time saves
    read txt file with rom loaded
    soft reset with homebrew
    most of the cards are just modified versions to work with the DSi

3. Joey90

Member Joey90 Not around any more

United Kingdom
  4. Tokiopop

Member Tokiopop Caffeine fiend

United Kingdom
    No, get the R4i. [​IMG]

And try searching next time.

5. elixirdream

Member elixirdream GBAtemp Legend

Malaysia
    hahahahaha

seriously if you are talking about ak2i (don't talk about functions/features) and you are using AKAIO... i would say it is the best

6. DeltaBurnt

Member DeltaBurnt I'm bored

United States
    I don't know I would seriously consider waiting for the M3i0 because that's going to be awesome.

7. Tokiopop

United Kingdom
    How can you say it's going to be awesome when it's not yet released and no new features have been confirmed. I'd only call a DSi flashcart awesome if it could acres DSi mode, which the new M3 can't.

8. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    I wouldn't call the Acekard 2i awesome, it doesn't run games nearly as well as the CycloDS or even the R4 did.
    I'm not talking fancy functions or utilities, I mean just playing the game, I've got slowdown on Platinum, other games, and crashes in Portrait of Ruin, all on a high speed microSD.

Even if the M3i0 has no new features, if it can play games without these issues I'll be all over it.
    But what I really want is my CycloDSi.

9. DeltaBurnt

United States
    Well it's not exactly fair to critisize another cart because it can't do something that none of the carts can do right now. We're talking about M3i0 vs. Ak2i (atleast I am), so you can't go and say "Nah M3i0 isn't better because it doesn't have DSi Mode" because neither does the ak2i.

And plus the m3i0 will have Sakura support which, I'm sure most people will agree, is the best flashcart firmware out there.

Plus the fact that it's probably gonna have an open source firmware.

10. 5%
    OP

Member 5% GBAtemp Fan

ok thanks for the replies

11. tops2

Newcomer tops2 Member

United States
    I wonder how many other people with a Acekard 2i that have the same problems? I have one of these on the way getting ready for the DSi.

I have the original R4 which runs every game. For the few problematic games that had copy protection, a patched version could come out or a cheat would be added to the database after a few days, and then it can run. I have not problems with the R4 at all, and I don't care about all the advanced features. I'm almost tempted to not trade in my DS lite for a DSi cause of the reliability of my R4.

12. Tokiopop

United Kingdom
    I find my Acekard to load and play games better than my R4.

13. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    i have an original r4, two of them actually. it does not run every game with out problems. try actually testing 1 of each rom dump, you will find a ton of problems after 2700+. with that said, the r4 when it works.. it works well. i had great success with it. to really get the most out of it now you need to use ysmenu, arm7 hacks, cheat hacks, etc. its a pain in the ass where the acekard running akaio, just works. if there is a problem you can expect norm to fix it. he is the hardest working homebrew developer that i know of.

-another world

14. klopfdreh

Member klopfdreh GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    No not every problem Another World ... I tried to contact the creator of dskiosk and norm, because dskiosk and other homebrews are running not very well. Norm answered with a threat to permban me and dskiosk released a new version which also starting up with fat errors. Also DSFTP is not working as expected.

So for me R4 is the best card for playing homebrews, because every homebrew creator is testing on this card.

Acekard2i is only good by playing games and that is definitely not what I want to with my flashcard.....

@ dewback: the card is called "M3i Zero" not "M3Zero"

15. ridgecity

Member ridgecity GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mexico
    As a former G6 user for 3 years, I can say don't bother. They drop support so fast, and decide to focus on their new product and start forgetting to update their old stuff now they only update when a big game appears), They showed Sakura firmware and never happened, thanks to the gbatemp members that sakura and managed to make it work after some serious hacking, as for the official release, who knows, I stopped using my card after waiting for a whole year for the firmware upgrade..

Maybe their new card is going to be awesome, but I like the acekard now and sticking with it.

16. 5%
    OP

Member 5% GBAtemp Fan

thanks for the help guys, i think ill get the acekard 2i. where can i buy it online?

or should i wait for the m3i zero?

17. DeltaBurnt

United States
    I would highly recommend waiting for the m3i zero...but that's just me...

Also you can get the acekard2i here:

http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18728

18. Tokiopop

United Kingdom
    I don't and never have seen what's so great about an M3, when I first heard of it I thought it was just another R4 clone, like the N5.

19. 5%
    OP

Member 5% GBAtemp Fan

^i thought the same thing