Hacking Question Is a System Update from a .XCI file under SX OS possible ?

Ferris1000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I own a Switch and i just installed the 2.0.0 update at the Relese because of the exFAT support.
now i want to play newer Games but i don't want unbox my Switch Games (because i'm a Games Collector).
I'm not planing to sell my Games but i also don't want to unbox my Games just for an Update and i don't want to update to 5.1.0.

So my Question is: Is it save to update from a .XCI File under SX OS or could / will it brick my Console?

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
It won't brick your console. At least no one has reported a brick yet. But you risk a ban if your console is connected to the internet.

Ferris1000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i don't want to do a Game Update, i'm talking about a System Update, mount a XCI File under SX OS and when it ask me for an System Update like Pokemon Tekken which requires 3.0.0, thats why i'm asking is it safe to update my Nintendo Switch Firmware while SX OS is running using the Update from the mounted XCI File...my Nintendo Switch is not Connected to my Network and will stay offline all the time.

Last edited by Ferris1000,

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There's a way to do it, make sure you update to the new version of sx os so that you don't end up with burnt fuses.

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
i don't want to do a Game Update, i'm talking about a System Update, mount a XCI File under SX OS and when it ask me for an System Update like Pokemon Tekken which requires 3.0.0, thats why i'm asking is it safe to update my Nintendo Switch Firmware while SX OS is running using the Update from the mounted XCI File...my Nintendo Switch is not Connected to my Network and will stay offline all the time.
That's definitely possible

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There's a way to do it, make sure you update to the new version of sx os so that you don't end up with burnt fuses.

If you want that then you really ought to use autorcm and then always boot sx os.

The fuses are only an issue if you want to downgrade to the original version (make sure you back it up before upgrading). Although if you upgrade to a 4.x+ release then you won't be able to use game cards if you downgrade.

Last edited by smf,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do not update with SX OS v1.1 since it prevents your fuses from being burnt but it does not bypass the fuse check. If you do update with SX OS v1.1, your only option would be to load SX OS using Hekate as it bypasses the fuse check.

Ferris1000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
it seams that SX OS just mount Games which are in a Firmware Range like if your Switch is running Firmware 2.0.0 you can mounted Games up to 3.0.0 and are playable without Updating you Switch.
If you try to mount Games which requires 3.0.1 and higher on Firmware 2.0.0 the Game won't be mounted / displayed which means that SX OS doesn' allow you to Update your System from a .XCI File.

My Switch is on Firmware 2.0.0
I tried to play Sonic Forces which requires 2.3 and it works just fine without updating my Switch
I tried Super Mario Odyssey which reqiures 3.0.1 but it doesn't show up if i try to mount it.
The same happend for other Games, i tried a lot of games which brings me to this results.

Reactions: Bumblecito

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it seams that SX OS just mount Games which are in a Firmware Range like if your Switch is running Firmware 2.0.0 you can mounted Games up to 3.0.0 and are playable without Updating you Switch.
If you try to mount Games which requires 3.0.1 and higher on Firmware 2.0.0 the Game won't be mounted / displayed which means that SX OS doesn' allow you to Update your System from a .XCI File.

My Switch is on Firmware 2.0.0
I tried to play Sonic Forces which requires 2.3 and it works just fine without updating my Switch
I tried Super Mario Odyssey which reqiures 3.0.1 but it doesn't show up if i try to mount it.
The same happend for other Games, i tried a lot of games which brings me to this results.
Probably because 2.0 and 3.0 share the same number of burnt fuses while 3.0.1 is the first firmware to start burning an extra fuse after those 2.

Ferris1000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Probably because 2.0 and 3.0 share the same number of burnt fuses while 3.0.1 is the first firmware to start burning an extra fuse after those 2.
it has nothing to do with the fuses, otherwise games wouldn't work with a fuse bypassed Firmware, i think the Games from 2.0.0 to 3.0.0 have the same Keys but 3.0.1 have new keys and can't be decrypted by Firmware 2.0.0 - 3.0.0

BTW:
Expected number of burnt fuses (retail)
Firmware 1.0.0 Burned Fuses: 1
Firmware 2.0.0-2.3.0 Burned Fuses: 2
Firmware 3.0.0 Burned Fuses: 3
Firmware 3.0.1 Burned Fuses: 4

MonMonz

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
it has nothing to do with the fuses, otherwise games wouldn't work with a fuse bypassed Firmware, i think the Games from 2.0.0 to 3.0.0 have the same Keys but 3.0.1 have new keys and can't be decrypted by Firmware 2.0.0 - 3.0.0

BTW:
Expected number of burnt fuses (retail)
Firmware 1.0.0 Burned Fuses: 1
Firmware 2.0.0-2.3.0 Burned Fuses: 2
Firmware 3.0.0 Burned Fuses: 3
Firmware 3.0.1 Burned Fuses: 4
With all the keys available what stoping us from decrypting roms to load it now on our low firmware consoles

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So is this possible now with SX OS 1.2? Can we update system firmware from "withing SX OS without burning any fuses" as long as we have autoRCM going?

Or would updating from within SX OS (modified horizon) still burn fuses?

Ferris1000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i tried the HacDiscMount Tutorial, but it ended with 2002-0002...now i try to restore everthing...

i also tried SX OS but i only get a Blackscreen after the Splashscreen/after SX OS Menu (by pressing volume+)

fixingmytoys

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i would find a "real game"that has the UPDATE you want and use that that way it is done nice and clean the NINTENDO way once done that run your payload of TX and play your xci games

Ferris1000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
are you going to downgrade back to a lower F/W
If there is a coldboot solution for older firmware for an exploit like a9lh back in the days then yes.

I think there was a problem with boot 0 because I reversed everything but it also didn’t boot with 2.0.0, after I restored my original boot 0 my switch booted into Horizon (autoRCM was gone), I also restored Boot 1 that everything is like before and now my switch is back on 2.0.0 so i will wait until there is a safer Methode to update or I will buy a second one where I don’t care about updating because the new consoles are all higher than 2.0.0

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.