Hacking Is a Everdrive X5 Mini worth it just for the battery-life alone?

SkyDX

Anime Signature Creator, PM me if you want one! :)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So I've been thinking of grabbing a X5 Mini because they seem to get rarer and rarer to buy online and the price certainly doesn't get cheaper. I have a EZ Flash Omega and am generally happy with it aside from the wildly drifting RTC clock and the extreme battery-drain it causes with a Funnyplaying IPS screen on a GBA SP. Is the X5 worth it for the battery-life alone?

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've been thinking of grabbing a X5 Mini because they seem to get rarer and rarer to buy online and the price certainly doesn't get cheaper. I have a EZ Flash Omega and am generally happy with it aside from the wildly drifting RTC clock and the extreme battery-drain it causes with a Funnyplaying IPS screen on a GBA SP. Is the X5 worth it for the battery-life alone?
No the EZ ODE is worth it

SkyDX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No the EZ ODE is worth it

Hmm if I read the chart I found correctly the EZ ODE sits at 80% battery-life compared to a OEM cartridge, the non-DE at 70% and the X5 Mini at 90%, are there any in-depth reliable comparisons? The new save-mechanism sounds good though.

Mancore

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Hmm if I read the chart I found correctly the EZ ODE sits at 80% battery-life compared to a OEM cartridge, the non-DE at 70% and the X5 Mini at 90%, are there any in-depth reliable comparisons? The new save-mechanism sounds good though.
EZ-FLASH OMEGA Definitive Edition Power Usage (And Other Flash Carts Too!)
I can't insert links yet, but here's the title, it's easy to find on youtube. By makho.

Reactions: SkyDX

SkyDX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
EZ-FLASH OMEGA Definitive Edition Power Usage (And Other Flash Carts Too!)
I can't insert links yet, but here's the title, it's easy to find on youtube. By makho.

Thanks, so it's alot better than the Omega but still not as good as the X5 Mini. Hmm I have to sleep over this.

thaikhoa

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
EZ ODE has a chance to encounter game freezing issue if you’re unlucky as I am. So many people out there are dealing with it even on the latest firmware update from EZ. I have to buy ED X5 Mini for spare to deal with the issue as I couldn’t trust EZ ODE anymore until they solve the issue completely.

Last edited by thaikhoa,

SkyDX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
EZ ODE has a chance to encounter game freezing issue if you’re unlucky as I am. So many people out there are dealing with it even on the latest firmware update from EZ. I have to buy ED X5 Mini for spare to deal with the issue as I couldn’t trust EZ ODE anymore until they solve the issue completely.

Huh is this a widespread problem? I haven't had any issues like that with my normal Omega though I have to say the DE sounds really appealing because the ED x5 Mini is really hard to get online right now :/

thaikhoa

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
[
Huh is this a widespread problem? I haven't had any issues like that with my normal Omega though I have to say the DE sounds really appealing because the ED x5 Mini is really hard to get online right now :/

I bought me one on Amazon Australia, 141 AUD free ship.

Tbh, ODE beats ED X5 mini in every way including price but the X5 mini seems to be cheaper now.

One thing to concern is that if you are using IPS screen mode you will consider ED X5 mini as the there is no noisy sound from the speaker just like the original cartridge. When playing with the ODE the noise is too loud especially when playing with headphone, think about addition mods to remove noise if you choose the ODE.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
If you use the flashcard on the DS, then go with EZ-Flash Omega. The DS has an eternal battery life and the Omega has a shell made for DS consoles that do not stick out like the everdriver or the proper cartridges.
For GBA micro I recommend buying a new, higher capacity battery no matter what cartridge you will use. With those new batteries anything will last more than you need there (it is very easy to replace a battery on the micro, and way cheaper than a new flashcard).

For SP or the traditional GBA I can't help you as I do not have them.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using the original everdrive with a gba sp. I updated to the latest firmware a few weeks ago. I've encountered no bugs with it. the only somewhat irritating thing is that saves need to be renamed to srm, eep, or fla. you can tell which is which based on the size of the save. I did this for my entire gba (bought) games, which I dumped along with their saves on the ds. I had maybe 20 saves in total, so it wasn't that bad, and I tested all of them afterwards. all work. the everdrive will name the saves you make with it correctly, so it's only with saves you made elsewhere.

SkyDX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
[

I bought me one on Amazon Australia, 141 AUD free ship.

Tbh, ODE beats ED X5 mini in every way including price but the X5 mini seems to be cheaper now.

One thing to concern is that if you are using IPS screen mode you will consider ED X5 mini as the there is no noisy sound from the speaker just like the original cartridge. When playing with the ODE the noise is too loud especially when playing with headphone, think about addition mods to remove noise if you choose the ODE.

Well I can get a ODE for about €50 cheaper than the X5 and the X5 is very hard to get here, I would need to borrow a credit card from someone and pay a ton so there's that. As for the noise, I do use a IPS GBA SP, is that true for the original Omega too? I never noticed any noise but then again I also never play with headphones as I don't have a headphone adapter :P Sounds like I should consider the ODE though.

If you use the flashcard on the DS, then go with EZ-Flash Omega. The DS has an eternal battery life and the Omega has a shell made for DS consoles that do not stick out like the everdriver or the proper cartridges.
For GBA micro I recommend buying a new, higher capacity battery no matter what cartridge you will use. With those new batteries anything will last more than you need there (it is very easy to replace a battery on the micro, and way cheaper than a new flashcard).

For SP or the traditional GBA I can't help you as I do not have them.

Well I do play on a IPS GBA SP but still thanks for your input :) I only play on one of my DS Lites if the battery of my SP runs out though thanks for the heads-up regarding batteries, I really should invest in a new DS Lite battery once I found a "perfect" model. One of them has perfect screens but a broken touch-screen and meh buttons and the other is in mint condition but has yellowish screens.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the noise is when the gba logo appears. it happens with official cartridges. I think it might be the speakers initializing or something. gbarunner used to have it, but it no longer has that sound. I can't recall if the everdrive I have has it, but I'm thinking it does.

SkyDX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think the noise is when the gba logo appears. it happens with official cartridges. I think it might be the speakers initializing or something. gbarunner used to have it, but it no longer has that sound. I can't recall if the everdrive I have has it, but I'm thinking it does.

Hmm okay interesting to know, thanks!

thaikhoa

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

No the noise will come during the system is powered on, gameplay. There is a video test on youtube to how to get rid of noise when modding the GBA. The noise is still there with IPS mod but it’s low with the X5 but noticeable louder with the ODE.

Anyway as I said the ODE is way better in terms of functionality while the X5 mini is better power consumption. Most importantly, it’s way cheaper than the X5 mini.

Last edited by thaikhoa,

Randy Steele

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've really wanted to get one for a while. I've had pretty bad luck with the Ez Flash Omega. Had my sd card corrupted way too many times. Even times when I know for a fact I was no where near saving my game. It's super nerve wracking to think that I could be playing a game/multiple games for hours and suddenly just lose it all due to a crap product. Having to back up my saves to pc often isn't a viable solution either.

thaikhoa

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I've really wanted to get one for a while. I've had pretty bad luck with the Ez Flash Omega. Had my sd card corrupted way too many times. Even times when I know for a fact I was no where near saving my game. It's super nerve wracking to think that I could be playing a game/multiple games for hours and suddenly just lose it all due to a crap product. Having to back up my saves to pc often isn't a viable solution either.

yea such a heart attacking when playing something that you know it will be broken later on.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended