Gaming Is a Donkey Kong Country Returns a rage game?

BORODA

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I mean really. Some levels just simply drive me nuts. Yes, that's what a super guide is there for, I know. But I don't give up that easily. The most annoying levels I played were the cliff ones. Those are fucking bullshit. 10 platforms flying around luring you to jump and you simply fall because you can't reach coz your platform suddenly started to fall faster. Also that cliff minecart level is a pain in the ass. I wasted so much balloons on it. Some levels are "remember what goes after" ones because you simply can't predict what shit is gonna come at you at the next screen. Especially the one where you are wiped away by an incoming wave. You need to mash a button in the large area that has no cover but the fucking button is covered with a 2-hit crab when you come there. So you need to carry a fucking power up barrel from 2 km away to kill a crab and then create a cover for yourself. COME ON! Some minecart level (can't exactly remember the location) where there's a barricade on the track at the last exact meter of the track and the cart goes so damn fast that it's impossible to dodge it. You are 100% guaranteed to lose a life first time.
Is this really a rage game?

Reactions: bowser

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I'll end up playing DKCR, and then as soon as I get to those levels (You know the ones), then I inevitably begin to rage. Enemy that's hard to dodge? Dead. Made a simple little mistake and the end of the level? Dead. Proceed to rage in hysteria.
But honestly? I love it for that. Sometimes, games need a bit of that nowadays.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

BORODA

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'll end up playing DKCR, and then as soon as I get to those levels (You know the ones), then I inevitably begin to rage. Enemy that's hard to dodge? Dead. Made a simple little mistake and the end of the level? Dead. Proceed to rage in hysteria.
But honestly? I love it for that. Sometimes, games need a bit of that nowadays.
I like a challenge. It's good, unless it starts going absurd. And in DKCR it does go insane sometimes. I used super guide twice. First was the ice minecart level. I wasted 38 balloons there and at the last life, I simply used super guide as it was over the board for me. Second one was the time level where you get insects(spiders?) following you. I didn't die that much there before I used the guide, but for number of reasons it caused too much frustration (mainly because of platforms-dead-ends, and when you realize it's a dead end you can't go back because there are bugs at your back already). On the other hand, bosses are pretty simple. I had some troubles with crabs, but that was me, not the unfair challenge.
At least there are no enemies that go wavelike on the screen. Fuck you, castelvania bats. Die in hell.

Also, my opinion is that the analog stick simply does not fit in the Arcade-Platformer genre. I got too much deaths simply because kong started rolling instead of blowing but maybe it's me in this case.

Reactions: Chary

Ethevion

Wannabe Artist
Trophies
Website
www.lvlupart.com
XP
Country
Canada
It wasn't that bad for me. At most I lost maybe 15 balloons on a level and I didn't even need the guide. As for the wave level, there's small safe spots where you can duck so you don't have to go all the way to the crab. There's enough safe spots that have no enemies waiting for you.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was playing Super Mario Bros. Wii and I was getting so upset because I couldn't get past the levels after the first fortress in World 3. Then I finally got to World 4 and I went, "fuck, this is so annoyingly hard." But eventually I got through it, and after much dying, finally made it to World 5, which seemed easier, considering all I went through in World 4. And then there are those levels in Super Mario Galaxy where I died maybe 7/8 times: yeah, that got me really upset too. And the Goblin level in Spider-Man: Shattered Dimension was (and still is) so freaking hard; I'm getting better at it though. And I raged through Spider-Man 3 after the Lizard level. And the list goes on and on.

Getting mad is normally what makes you more determined at beating what's making you mad. Just don't break your TV/controller.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It sure is. I especially hated the factory world.
And oh god, don't even remind me of that spider level. It only takes a second for the spiders to outrun you and you have to start all over... That was the most frustrating level in the entire game.

All that said it's still a great game, but there are certain levels that just make me ragequit.

BORODA

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It wasn't that bad for me. At most I lost maybe 15 balloons on a level and I didn't even need the guide. As for the wave level, there's small safe spots where you can duck so you don't have to go all the way to the crab. There's enough safe spots that have no enemies waiting for you.
Well, then I made myself a more hardcore part than it was intended :rofl: Anyway, DKCR remains the hardest game for me (new super mario bros was kind of easier, but still very hard).

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I was playing Super Mario Bros. Wii and I was getting so upset because I couldn't get past the levels after the first fortress in World 3. Then I finally got to World 4 and I went, "fuck, this is so annoyingly hard." But eventually I got through it, and after much dying, finally made it to World 5, which seemed easier, considering all I went through in World 4. And then there are those levels in Super Mario Galaxy where I died maybe 7/8 times: yeah, that got me really upset too. And the Goblin level in Spider-Man: Shattered Dimension was (and still is) so freaking hard; I'm getting better at it though. And I raged through Spider-Man 3 after the Lizard level. And the list goes on and on.

Getting mad is normally what makes you more determined at beating what's making you mad. Just don't break your TV/controller.
Question: Did you ever make it to the Super Mario Galaxy level called Luigi's Purple Coins? Because IMO that was easily the hardest level in the game. SO MANY DEATHS on that level.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Purple coin comet, Toy Galaxy (I forgot the exact name of the galaxy) Collect 100 purple coins on top of a giant Luigi that pretty much falls to pieces as you walk on it.

(I was out for lunch) OMG, yes. I don't think I ever got through it; it was just like, "f**k." I played this with my sister so it wasn't as hard, though, and we raged together.

Ergo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question: Did you ever make it to the Super Mario Galaxy level called Luigi's Purple Coins? Because IMO that was easily the hardest level in the game. SO MANY DEATHS on that level.

I agree w/ this--this level was far, far, far, far, faaaaaaaaar and away the hardest in the game--nothing else even came close.

As for DKCR, I didn't find the game overly-challenging, from what I recall.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I agree w/ this--this level was far, far, far, far, faaaaaaaaar and away the hardest in the game--nothing else even came close.

As for DKCR, I didn't find the game overly-challenging, from what I recall.
That purple coins level was hard till I realized you didn't need EVERY coin, only 100 of them, then I literally beat it the next try. But I did play it a ton trying to get every one before I learned that so I got needed practice.

Ergo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That purple coins level was hard till I realized you didn't need EVERY coin, only 100 of them, then I literally beat it the next try. But I did play it a ton trying to get every one before I learned that so I got needed practice.

Wish I'd known that as well!

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

SUPER RAGE GALAXY 07
Ok so the biggest problem with SMG wasnt that it was "hard", just "frustrating". SM64 was hard. And frustrating some times. But hard.
But SMG would give you dumb objectives and stuff. "Run from here to there while on fire while these annoying ass enemies harass you with cold water". But omg the purple comets were cause for RL suicide.

DKCR/3D is just hard. I mean its cause for rage too. Some of the levels are incredibly precise.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

BORODA

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I finished last 2 parts of DKCR yesterday (was on vacation). Well, I still recall cliff levels the hardest ones. Factory was not that hard as I expected. First one was a pain in the ass because you can't see where you are jumping, but rest are fine.
Onto Super Mario Bros. 2 :yaynds: Gotta rage more.

WoJjTeK

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Try playing Devil May Cry / Metal Gear Rising / Ninja Gaiden sometime. Those games kick your ass so hard that you become accustomed to the pain. On topic, well I haven't beaten DKCR yet, I'm in 5th or 6th world and it certainly isn't that hard. Obviously there're levels where I lost let's say 10 baloons, But I currently have ~40 and I never ran out of them. Maybe it gets harder later on, I'll see. NSMBW was also kinda hard, but, I already beaten NSMB on DS, so I quickly accomodated to controls and only world 9 was hard for me really. I think the hardest level of all platformers I've played is SMG Purple coins level , but that in Space Junk Galaxy iirc. Not because of deaths, but I missed a single coin too many freaking times! At least these're games which are both hard AND fair. You can buy lifes, replay previous levels to collect some etc.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s