Hacking Is a decent version of MAME Viable for the wii?

J_hibiki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I think when monkeybeast said decent he was meaning less than half an hour loading times...and that says it can load CPS2 and NEoGeo but every larg rom I try to load makes it crash, so it's far from what I would call decent at this point.

misticknight

Trophies
XP
Country
i hope one is being worked on now, with the new backup loader sounding pertty much perfect, this is the only bit of homebrew i want to be perfected so i can be 100% happy.

HowardC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's more than possible. Except for the lack of harddrive space, the wii has superior specs to the xbox, which has a pretty decent port of mame on it. Of course the xbox is practically a pc, which made it easy.

Here's the catch though.... the wii has mac-like architecture and the number of developers that are familiar enough with mame AND are familiar enough with a mac-like system AND would be willing to devote a lot of time tweaking mame to get it to run on the wii is extremely few. Like 1 or 2 people few or LESS. It'll happen eventually, all modern consoles get a fairly decent mame port, just don't hold your breath.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
HowardC said:
It's more than possible. Except for the lack of harddrive space, the wii has superior specs to the xbox, which has a pretty decent port of mame on it. Of course the xbox is practically a pc, which made it easy.

Here's the catch though.... the wii has mac-like architecture and the number of developers that are familiar enough with mame AND are familiar enough with a mac-like system AND would be willing to devote a lot of time tweaking mame to get it to run on the wii is extremely few. Like 1 or 2 people few or LESS. It'll happen eventually, all modern consoles get a fairly decent mame port, just don't hold your breath.

MAME is portable (written in C) , this is definitely not a problem of MAC/PC architecture (and knowing how to program on a MAC would definitely not help you programming the Wii, this is a common mistake, they use totally different architectures, except the CPU)

no, the problem is that MAME require HUGE amount of RAM, which the Wii is lacking, contrary to PC/MAC computers
The current version is based on GC-Linux and use the SDCARD as memory swap, reason why this is so slow (I guess ?)

porting Final Burn Alpha would be an interesting alternativ also, though the hardest part would be to handle big ROM files that does not fit in the Wii memory

I don't know how the XBOX version is handling this (it has limited RAM also no ?)

Hardcore Gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
I installed sdlmame on my wii yesterday as it happens and it was great for the old classics like Galaga, Outrun, Bubble Bobble and stuff. The loading times weren't that bad.

When I first tried to install it I couldn't get it to work at all. It kept resetting every time it loaded a game but then I used the version that lad has on his How To Install SDLMame youtube video, I assume it's the one deleted in this thread, and it worked great after that.

The cheat.dat file also works that you can download from Mameworld. Just press start on the gamecube controller to access the menu for it. The one thing I couldn't get working was the hiscore.dat file. Some mame games don't save your high score, the games that didn't when you switched the machine of in the arcades, so someone created a hiscore.dat file to fix this but I couldn't get it to save the scores.

It would be nice to see a new version made but for the old 80's classics, it's not bad at all.

TheWon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ya that's my video. I forgot about the links to 3 roms on also. Just go to youtube and look yo user "jodecideion" I been helping with it for a while now.

For some reason if you dl MAME from most sites. It's missing a folder that keeps it from working. MY version is prefect. I have gotten SSF2 and even SFA1 to work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ubisoft should #stopkillinggames ngl
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    sony should #stopkillinggames
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    they killed LittleBigPlanet online, which was the main core of every LBP game
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it