Is 4 GB of data enough for you?

Discussion in 'iPhone, iPod & iPad' started by xtreme1, May 6, 2011.

May 6, 2011
  1. xtreme1
    OP

Member xtreme1 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    So I am on the fence about whether to go for at&t's iphone plan with only 4gb of data for 2 iphones, or 60 dollars for unlimited for 2 users on verizons plan. The real question is, when I JB my Iphone how much data should I expect to use. How many Gbs do you usually use a month? I'd prob get about 3 gb at least outta at&t's but idk guys help me make up my mind here... is 4gb a month enough!?

2. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    I only use around 300-400MB monthly, on my iPhone4 [​IMG]

I have to admit that I don't use it _that_ often to surf (all my main surfing is done on PCs), just using Youtube and the likes every now and then, but I guess 4GB should be enough for everyone.

...except if you wanna download entire movies or similiar directly from your iPhone [​IMG]

3. TheDarkSeed

Member TheDarkSeed I'm a pretentious sack of shit

United States
    It depends on how much you're going to use your iPhone. For me 4gb wouldn't be nearly enough bandwidth.

4. iFish

Member iFish Slower than a 90s modem

Canada
    If you're always on the internet, Twitter, Facebook, uploading YouTube videos, uplaoding images, etc, etc, I doubt it will be enough.

But it really depends if you're a power user or not...

(I don't have an iPhone 4 for myself so I cannot say how much data I sue)

So it really only depends on you

5. CarbonX13

Member CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Taiwan
    Unless you're constantly using data to download and/or stream media, 4GB is more than enough. Just from web browsing alone, 4GB should allow you to visit... around 20,000 to 30,000 web pages. No joke. So unless you're going to be actively using it for media streaming or downloading files, 4GB should be way more than enough.

6. xtreme1
    OP

Member xtreme1 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    thanks for the feedback... honestly unlimited data just sounds awesome lol...

7. Devin

Member Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

United States
    I dunno. I think 4 GBs is enough. Though I always use my Wifi when possible so I won't pass it. My current data transmission is

I also download a ton of apps, but usually on my wifi connection which is faster.

8. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Consider that mobile broadband compresses all pictures and stuff before sending it to you... 4GB should be plenty.

9. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    heehee Verizon and unlimited data [​IMG]

10. wyndcrosser

Member wyndcrosser GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I use justin.tv, as well as [Redacted], etc. so I stream and view a lot of files. My average for Verizon data is approx. 4-10GB per month.

Wynd

11. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    When I'm at school, where the campus-wide wifi is much faster than 3G, I barely hit 200 MB per month. However, when I'm at work where there is no public wifi, and I stream Pandora all day to pass the time, I can use up 3-7 GB in the month. So it all depends on your personal usage patterns.

Note that with AT&T at least, you can go into the Phone app and dial *3282# (which is *DATA#) to get a free text message telling you how many texts and how much data you've used up so far in your current billing cycle. I don't know if Verizon has this same feature.

12. wchill

Member wchill Resident chillxpert

United States
    I tether. I've used up 200GB of data this month, no torrents. Yeah.

13. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    My telco gives 12GB of data for iPhone 4...

And I have to say in your case

4GB IS ALSO A LOT

I watch at least 5 videos (game soundtracks usually) per day on my phone together with constant access to webs of my local gamestore, gbatemp (you guessed it) and apps which require data such as facebook (but now i use droids instead), total usage is only slightly exceeding 1.5 GB. Oh, and I also use the iPhone hotspot once per month with my laptop for normally two hours or so. [​IMG]

Now, as I'm in the US, I don't use the iPhone 4 as I didn't really go hunting for a prepaid MicroSIM. I am currently using an ordinary prepaid SIM on my droid by AT&T.