Irritating Facebook Campaign

Acetic Orcein

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys!

I hope everyone is doing well? I sincerely hope I've blogged in the right place, but yeah. I'm going to blog about something really silly and weird so... I'm sorry
frown.gif

For those of you that have Facebook, perhaps you've seen the following campaign:

'Change your Facebook profile picture to a cartoon character from your childhood and invite your friends to do the same, for the NSPCC. Until Monday (December 6th), there should be no human faces on Facebook, but an invasion of memories. This is a campaign to stop violence against children'

Firstly, this campaign was not actually started by the NSPCC! Maybe I'm just a bit cynical but... I find it really insulting? It irritates me that this campaign probably wasn't designed to fight violence against children, but probably someone wanting to perform glorified chain mail. Secondly, people will change their profile picture to make it seem like they're giving support. However, if it came to donating money or volunteering for the charity itself, I doubt they'll be so quick to act. I would like to add that I do think it's good to raise awareness of such issues! Perhaps campaigns like this will inspire some people to actually take physical action. So maybe... it has some use. Essentially, I just feel aggravated that most people think they're doing something special when they're not!

Is that weird? Maybe I'm just thinking too much into it, because I know that's the nature of Facebook! It's just this is the only viral campaign that has actually made me feel disgusted. I'm sorry for having a mostly one sided opinion also
frown.gif

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People acting like they're doing something special when they're not?

Welcome to Facebook.

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This has been doing my head in all day too. Even some of the more sensible women (and it's only women) on my friends list have jumped on this pointless band wagon. A picture of Captain Caveman will NOT stop a child being abused. Volunteering time and money just might though.

emigre said:
Change your profile picture to that of a certain P.Bear.
I like it.
evil.gif

ineap09

Trophies
XP
Country
Guyana
I'm happy to see this blog 'cause I've been feeling the same way about this. I was just going to bottle up my disgust since I knew there wasn't anything truly wrong with what they're doing, but this blog post and all the hilarious comments made me feel better!
yay.gif

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've decided it's the fault of Comic Relief's 'Red Nose Day' and national charity events of the sort. People now think that wearing the red nose is the significant bit and not the £1 (most of which goes to charity) that they spend on it.

Renegade Zero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Depravo said:
I've decided it's the fault of Comic Relief's 'Red Nose Day' and national charity events of the sort. People now think that wearing the red nose is the significant bit and not the £1 (most of which goes to charity) that they spend on it.

People do it to follow the crowd it seems. If people like Lenny Henry wear a red nose, you must do too.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i never understood the point of changing your profile picture .
how will this stop child violence ? you're simply changing a picture .

numerous friends of mine changed their pictures, but none said the NSPCC . weird ...

MFDC12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Splych said:
i never understood the point of changing your profile picture .
how will this stop child violence ? you're simply changing a picture .

numerous friends of mine changed their pictures, but none said the NSPCC . weird ...

[sarcasm]
i never understood wearing pink ribbons for breast cancer. how will this cure breast cancer? you are wearing a ribbon..
[/sarcasm]

changing the picture is no different than wearing a ribbon to raise awareness for something (autism, aids, breast cancer, etc).

steveo1978

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are right it is irritating that people are showing support for something by changing their profile pics. It like those people trying to raise awareness about AIDS and Breast Cancer by wearing those silly ribbons. Why should we have to look at some little cartoon character because some ones else wants to raise awareness about kids getting beat. And in case you didnt know this has been me being sarcastic. Yeah really welcome to America where people complain about everything.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
What exactly is it supposed to achieve? Is someone going to go "Well, I was going to abuse some children but then I remembered He Man".

It's just slacktivism, it's to make people feel better about themselves without actually having to do anything, and it's this kind of shit that stops people actually doing things which do make a difference because they think "Ooh, I've done my bit now with a meaningless and symbolic gesture."

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
steveo1978 said:
It like those people trying to raise awareness about AIDS and Breast Cancer by wearing those silly ribbons.
But the point is you pay money for the ribbon and a percentage of that money goes to the appropriate charities. These Facebook profile changers aren't actually giving anything to anybody and are thus helping nobody.

Infinite Zero

Almost!
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
If you click on my Facebook, I changed back to my old one[2 days ago, I think]
I don't see anything beneficial from changing my PICTURE to a cartoon. It doesn't help... and doing it doesn't change anything, really.

I just keep quiet since most of my friends believe easily in what they see and read
mellow.gif

steveo1978

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depravo said:
But the point is you pay money for the ribbon and a percentage of that money goes to the appropriate charities. These Facebook profile changers aren't actually giving anything to anybody and are thus helping nobody.

Maybe it helps the child that has been beat know that some one out there does care. Just because it not monetary support does not make it useless, there is emotional support.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Depravo said:
steveo1978 said:
It like those people trying to raise awareness about AIDS and Breast Cancer by wearing those silly ribbons.
exactly what i was thinking .
what awareness is changing your profile picture going to bring ?

it's already known worldwide, pink ribbons represent awareness to breastcancer. but who would ever think of these pictures to represent child violence? heck, i bet some of the shows some of us have watched as vids were violence. for me, inuyasha would be an example ...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end