Irresponsible Marketing!!!

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by tenchan4, Jul 17, 2007.

Jul 17, 2007

Irresponsible Marketing!!! by tenchan4 at 9:38 PM (1,673 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. tenchan4
    OP

Member tenchan4 GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    http://www.comcast.com/nintendo/

John Kricfalusi, the guy who made Ren & Stimpy, made a web commercial for Comcast, featuring the Nintendo DS. Funny stuff. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. hanman

Member hanman I'm a pretty lucky guy

United States
    I lol'd...for real! makes me wish i didn't have comcast already!

3. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    That's funny, as you can get at least for a serious ad with forced catch-lines in it to make the point. Hell of a deal though giving up the free system as that's $120 and tax saved right there IF you were getting broadband already anyways.

4. DeepFriedAsian

Member DeepFriedAsian GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Son of a-
    My mom just ordered Comcast Triple Play like, 3 days ago. Dammit.

XD @ The ad, though.

5. Lazycus

Member Lazycus Rotten

United States
    Ah yes, where are George Liquor - American and Jimmy the Idiot Boy these days.

Is that Doraemon I see?

6. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    heheh, that was a pretty funny ad

I always hated ren and stimpy though, they had fuckin annoying sound effects for everything, blinking, expressions, falling over.. I always got a headache like 30 seconds into that show

7. ugly_rose

Member ugly_rose GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sweden
    Ehh?

Excuse my french, but what the heck are they talking about? My DSL is 24 mbps for crying out loud [​IMG]

8. FifthE1ement

Member FifthE1ement GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    FifthE1ement [​IMG]

9. ugly_rose

Sweden
    I don't believe there is any internet service provider in Sweden that hasn't had 24 mpbs DSL available over at least the last three or four years. The lowest speed "broadband" (which can hardly be called broadband) is 0.25 mbps DSL, but I'm really unsure if there is any significant amount of people using that speed today.

Even wireless internet (over the 3G phone network) is faster today with speeds from 1-7.5~ mbps, and quite frankly not that much more expensive than the wired solution. Sometimes it's even cheaper.

If you don't live in a villa or other small house, or in the countryside, you're very likely to also have acces to the 100-1000 mbps city fibre optics network.

I can't show you much actual info from the providers themselves, however, as it is not very foreigner-friendly, meaning most of it is in Swedish. Some common providers, though, are Telia, Bredbandsbolaget/Telenor/Vodafone, Glocalnet and Tele2/Comviq.

10. ugly_rose

Sweden
    [​IMG] ... I think I double posted...

*begs for mercy* [​IMG]

11. FifthE1ement

Member FifthE1ement GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Sorry ugly_rose I can only speak for the USA. In the US many users are limited to very low speeds unless they want to pay huge amounts of money to the ISP's.

FifthE1ement [​IMG]

12. ugly_rose

Sweden
    Ahh yes. Lets hope the market opens up more then... for the sake of america [​IMG]

Have a look at the Glocalnet ISP though... they love making these kind stupid commercials:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=d90tYaIa7xE

[​IMG]

13. enarky

Member enarky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Anyone believing that he won't pay for this "free" Nintendo DS is incredibly naive. Well, *he* won't actually, but all other Comcast subscribers together will. A Company relying on such dubious marketing should be avoided at all cost.

14. moshii

Member moshii GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    Those speeds would be HSPDA,... all wireless systems suffer from excessive protocol overheads. 802.11 has a protocol overhead of about 50%, combine that with the problem that TCP/IP because of it's falloff scheme only ever uses 75% of the available channel. Best to go for wired [​IMG]

15. Warm Woolly Shee

Member Warm Woolly Shee GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    John K is great!

16. HBK

Member HBK Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)

Portugal
    Yep, here in Portugal minimum is 512KBps (for high speed, there still are some dial up users), and max currently is 24MBps. I have a 2MBps connection. Not the fastest, but it's quite good.

17. DarkMatt

Newcomer DarkMatt Advanced Member

Australia
    Max in Aus is 24mbps down / 1mbps up DSL (which I'm on now). It's just starting to spread now - the previously fastest connection was cable @ 10mbps down / 128k up. Of course, we pay through the nose for it compared to everyone else, and get dodgy download limits, but it's not too bad.

18. ugly_rose

Sweden
    I hear you on the wireless bit. I have experienced what you say myself.

About selling me a particular channel, not really allowing me to reach near the promised speeds, is untrue however. ISP's having tried doing so before has gotten pretty beat up by their customers, having to pay them back + lower the monthly fee.

So to have a 24 mbps connection, you are required to have a modem capable of such speeds, for aforementioned reasons. The modems are usually given for free however if you decide to stick with the ISP for at least 12-18 months.

There are many nice non-biased applications out there, that can check your connection speed towards several different servers, seeing how well your connection delivers on the ISP's promise.