Ironic. Should have not tried to revert back

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by gavane, Aug 13, 2009.

Aug 13, 2009
  1. gavane
    OP

Newcomer gavane Newbie

United States
    After reading the forums for about 6 hours I am fairly certain I will have to send the Wii back for repairs. Funny because all I wanted to do was get a 'normal' Wii back, no mods, no HBC, nothing.

TLDR version at the bottom.

I don't have Wifi but I wanted to update to 4.1 so I rented the latest Nintendo game I could find. It ended up being the Tiger Woods PGA 10 game and I found out that only booted me up to 3.4U. So I went to Walmart, bought an SD to USB adapter (all I had were SDHC mini and an old SD card), and followed instructions in the Offline Update thread. The instructions to me were hard to follow since it seems the walkthrough was made for a prior version that had some modified options. Anyways, to make a long story shorter; the LU62 Wii could not update to 4.1 (kept getting hash errors even though MooSFV gave a clear) and got 4.0 working once.

I then followed the rest of the guide and got Bootmii on IOS and preloader up. I still was getting errors so after a few hours of uninstalling and reinstalling (ends up the hash error hit the new 4.0 ones I downloaded later too) I just wanted to call it quits. I wanted to get rid of everything, so I thought of using the Wii format tool. I read some on it and decided not to.

I used NandClean to get rid of preloader but that just got rid of its configs. The last option in the menu of NandClean was something about installing a SystemMenu before using it to completely remove preloader, so I hesitated and spent another hour searching the forums for that. The consensus that I got (I really couldn't find anything against it [​IMG] ) I needed SystemMenu-v289.wad to install over preloader to remove it. It was recommended to get it from the NTSC Semi-brick fix using Wiiscrubber and I did. I used WadManager to install it over preloader and then the Wii bricked. I'm almost fairly certain I shouldn't have done that (it worked for others so and it seemed like the 'cool' thing to do, curse you peer pressure!) but I don't know why. I was following instructions but they were probably for someone in a different situation, all in all I screwed up without knowing it.

TLDR Version:

Brand new LU62 3.4U Wii.
    Install Homebrew Channel.
    Install Bootmii on IOS.
    Trucha Bug Restorer run and eventually set for 4.0U (from the offline update guide).
    Ran cIOS36_rev10-Installer. (I didn't even need this, no clue why I installed. Guess I didn't want to skip numbers =P)
    Installed WADs using WadManager.
    Installed Preloader .29
    Wanted to remove preloader, then Bootmi, then Homebrew.
    Found out only way to get rid of preloader is to override it with a SystemMenu (or so it seemed).
    Got SystemMenu-v289 for the US Wii.
    Used WadManager to install it.
    Brick.

I don't get a video signal anymore, the CD tray light only flashes once when booted up, holding reset does nothing, holding + and - does nothing. I still have preloader and bootmii on the SD card along with their respective files. I already gave up. I just wanted a normal Wii back but I screwed it up. I don't have a Gamecube controller so I can't use that fix. Is there any alternative to sending it back?

2. Lexip;

Member Lexip; GBAtemp Fan

United States
    You installed 3.2 system menu on a boot2v4 wii (lu64). Bricked for good.

3. gavane
    OP

Newcomer gavane Newbie

United States
    Wow. I think you're the fastest person that has ever responded to a post I made in my life lol.

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought a boot2v4 wii is LU64+ only? But I see now that the system menu was the wrong version, egg on my face lol.

4. Lexip;

United States
    Well I assume its a boot2v4 otherwise why would it brick? You could check... if it wasn't bricked

5. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    The problem is either that it's a boot2v4 Wii, or it could simply be due to the fact that you didn't install an older version of IOS30 before installing 3.2u. When you update it's replaced by an unusable stub IOS.

Either way, I don't see why so many people try to "unhack" a Wii. It's kinda pointless IMO.

6. kama

Newcomer kama Member

United States
    I got bricked by the exact same WAD you did, except I have a LU10 Wii. Being that old, I lost A LOT more stuff than you did though.

7. Lexip;

United States
    Fenrir has a point about ios30

8. gavane
    OP

Newcomer gavane Newbie

United States
    Yeah, I shouldn't really have tried to mod it since there wasn't any function that I would have gained.

Thank you for your replies.

9. supagusti

Member supagusti GBAtemp Regular

Austria
    Me too... [​IMG]

10. gavane
    OP

Newcomer gavane Newbie

United States
    Well I took it back to the store (it was only 3 days old) and told them that when I tried to update the SystemMenu on the Wii it rebooted into a black screen. They asked me what I had on it and I told them HBC but they were confused since they were talking about Nintendo points and all. They tried it out there and saw it wouldn't work and exchanged it for a different one. I don't think the sales rep actually knew what a bricked Wii was even though I basically led her into my installing HBC, Bootmii etc, she just had a dazed look.

11. WiiThoko

Member WiiThoko GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Well how the hell would they know what the HBC was? You should have just said it didn't work when you updated and left it at that.

12. ether2802

Former Staff ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Mexico
    Wow....you lucky bastard, inspite telling the sales person it was your fault, you demanded for a new unit [​IMG]

13. hankarlo

Newcomer hankarlo Member

Ireland
    The store obviously didnt know what you had tried to do, otherwise I dont think they where obliged to change it for you. Lucky you, well done!

BTW coz you didnt install IOS30 before you installed the SysMenu, probaly caused the brick.

14. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    i bet she was a dumb blond teenager wasn't she?! [​IMG]

15. chrisf

Banned chrisf Banned

United States
    ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME????? dont install homebrew on your new wii. you are too stoopid.

16. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    ...Why not? It'll work just fine on any Wii.

17. Black_Knight_666

Member Black_Knight_666 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Oh dont be a wuss... ha ha. As long as you know what your doing when ur installing the hbc, ur fine [​IMG]

18. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    WHY are you even in here? [​IMG]

19. gavane
    OP

Newcomer gavane Newbie

United States
    Actually blond in the front black in the back, one of those 2 tone hair dues lol.

20. grentuu

Member grentuu GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    You mean the curtains don't match the carpet.......shock [​IMG]