Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My friend's iPod was in the washer for over 30 minutes but less than an hour.

It was in my friend's jacket pocket while being laundried.

==

Right now, it is making hissing noises constantly and there is water in the LCD screen. The iPod is a 3rd generation iPod Nano.

What should I tell my friend to do with the iPod?

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Naw I am not kidding. It was just my friend's forgetfulness that made her forget her iPod in her pocket.

Then her mom ended up getting it laundried and now she doesn't know what to do.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Linkiboy said:
If I know my chemistry, and I dont, sounds like the water got into the lithium battery and is now reacting (lithium fizzes in water) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSly84lRqj0...feature=related

The hissing noise disappeared... But, she blow dried it for 5 mins on like the hottest setting on her blow dryer. Then after, some people suggested to put it in rice, and then she is thinking about putting it in rice for some odd reason...

Brian117

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rice?
rofl2.gif

Steamed or fried?

Ferrariman

Hip-Flop and cRap
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sell it for parts. Or maybe try buying a new battery, LCD, and logic board, but that would cost a lot. Probably more than a new iPod.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Turning it on while it was still wet is the worst possible thing she could have done. The water could've shorted something and caused permenant damage. (edit: having re-read it I realise you didn't mention if it'd been turned on before the battery started hissing)

Don't even think about turning it on again or "just testing it" until it's had time to dry out properly, say 3 days to a week (but I'm not going to lie to you, that hissing noise is a bad sign).

If it's out of warranty and you know what you're doing dismantle it so it can dry properly inside, otherwise just leave it somewhere warm. I don't know what the rice is about, maybe it sucks the moisture out? No idea.

From what Linki said it sounds like it'll need a new battery anyway, so consider whether to repair it yourself or pay Apple to do it (usually water damage isn't covered by the warranty so they probably will charge). Actually the second option might be best, you don't know how much other damage has been done and there's no point buying a new battery for a dead unit.

Cablephish

Show me...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I've actually read up about putting electronics in rice, and yes it works. The rice has a property that let's it suck the moisture out of electronics. Not sure to what bounds, but I hear it's also good for getting water out from screens and stuff.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)