iPlayer Channel on UK based NTSC Wii (4.2U).

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Kempston, Jan 25, 2010.

Jan 25, 2010
  1. Kempston
    OP

Newcomer Kempston Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    I'm desperately trying to get this to work. I have three different wads of the channel and they all install fine but when I start any of them I get a black screen, presumably due to the NTSC output from the console and the iPlayer channel expecting and being programmed for PAL. I have used Gecko 1.9.3.1 to force both PAL 50 and 60 but it doesn't seem to have made any difference, either booting the channel directly from Gecko or restarting into PAL and starting the channel from the system menu - they still black screen.

Can anyone make any suggestion how to get this working? I can't even view iPlayer via the internet channel anymore as it blocks any playback stating an iPlayer channel now exists.

2. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    I had the same issue on my PAL Wii, only solution was to download it officially.

I think it is possible to turn get a NTSC console to think its PAL, though I am not 100% on it.

3. cwstjdenobs

Member cwstjdenobs Sodomy non sapiens

United Kingdom
    Just an idea, but maybe using ARC to change just your shop channel region and then downloading it from the shop?

Edit: Sorry, just checked, that won't work with the new shop channel anyway.

4. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    You did install the IOS it uses right? I think it's IOS53, but it might be 55 or 56. Install the latest version of those IOSes and try it again.

You mean using ARC to change it or using rebooter? If you used rebooter, you may need to use ARC to change the video mode properly. If you plan to mess with ARC, install anti-brick software first if you don't have it. Also don't touch the 3.2 menu installer, since 3.2 bricks newer wiis.

BTW, even though you seem to know this already, there is no NTSC support whatsoever on this channel.

5. Kempston
    OP

United Kingdom
    No, I haven't used any region changer and don't want to as I will need to downgrade my Wii from 4.2 to 4.1. I was talking about rebooting from Gecko having set the video mode to PAL.

I will check out if I have the correct IOS installed but I'm sure I have. Cheers.

6. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    The rebooter never works right. I've had it do all sorts of crazy things, but it never worked correctly.

Try getting a different wad as well (I'm assuming you used a wad, the wii is NTSC), since there is a bad dump running around out there. I'm pretty sure it's been nuked on most release sites, but no guarantees.

You might also consider looking up Comex's or Waninkoko's Custom NAND Loaders. It patches a wad to replace the Nintendo NANDLoader with one that includes various configurable options. At least one of the options was a force PAL. I've never used them myself, but over at another site I frequent, someone reported making iPlayer work using that (until they hit the IP Block for not being in UK).

If you're on 4.2, you likely have the IOS you need.

7. wilsoff

Member wilsoff GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Try using waninkoko nand injector. This puts his custom nand loader into the channel.

Then go to the channel, press start, and immediately hold down reset on the wii. This will give you options to force PAL output.

8. Kempston
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thanks for the advice guys, I will give the NAND injector a try tonight.

9. Kempston
    OP

United Kingdom
    Didn't work, getting a DSI Exception when trying to start the iPlayer channel now having set it to force Pal 50 or 60 with the injector. Annoying to say the least, I really want to get this working.

Can anyone suggest any other way?

10. Kempston
    OP

United Kingdom
    Right, got it to start but getting a 002 error once the 'Loading' screen appears.

Frustrated!

11. Kempston
    OP

United Kingdom
    Any chance someone could give me a pointer how to fix this error? When packing the wad using wwPacker and the Nand Injector loader I selected yes to the 002 checker fix but it seems to have made bugger all difference. All the advice for the #002 error online seems to refer to the USB Loader but there is nothing for a channel.

12. leondmsmith

Member leondmsmith GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Why is your Wii NTSC if your from UK? Why not have it set to pal and use region free for games? that way you can download it officially?

13. Kempston
    OP

United Kingdom
    How much hassle would it be to change a 4.2U Wii to Pal? I know I would need to downgrade but is there any tutorials how to downgrade and make the change? Also, would it stop me from upgrading to 4.2 using the 'Modify any Wii 4.2 & below' stickied tutorial on here once changed?

Getting rid of this 002 error is still preferable for me though, iPlayer is the only reason I would need to change region, everything else works fine.

14. leondmsmith

Member leondmsmith GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Dunno used to be achieved by ARC on 3.2 quite easily, but i dont know on any of the new system menus, i wouldnt advise it unless someone with more specific information gives you the go ahead.

15. Kempston
    OP

United Kingdom
    I'd rather just get this error sorted, there has to be some way of doing it.

Is it an indication I'm missing some IOS numbers or is it a problem with the wad?

16. daxtsu

Member daxtsu -

Antarctica
  17. Kempston
    OP

United Kingdom
    Ok, can someone point me to a tutorial of how to downgrade from 4.2u to 4.1u?

18. wilsoff

Member wilsoff GBAtemp Regular

United States
    002 error is copy protection. I think it compares two areas of memory to ensure they are the same.

I had the same issue when trying to get wii fit plus ntsc channel working on my PAL wii -> http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=89635

You need to add a few lines to the code of the nand loader (detailed in post above).

Alternatively...
    1. Figure out which .app file in iPlayer is the nandloader (you can use WadID tool, it will tell you which is the boot .app). Remember this, e.g. 05.app
    2. Unpack iPlayer with showmiiwads
    3. Delete the nandloader .app file in iPlayer unpack folder (you figured out which it was in step 1.)

4. Download the custom wii fit plus channel.
    5. Unpack WiiFitPlus with showmiiwads
    6. 00000005.app is the nandloader in this channel
    7. Rename 00000005.app from the custom wiifit plus channel so that it has the name of the file you just deleted in step 3.

8. Put that nandloader in the iPlayer extracted folder

9. Pack up the wad with showmiiwads

19. Kempston
    OP

United Kingdom
    WiiFitPlusUSA_Extracted_WaninFixed.wad is broken in the archived exe in the thread. You got another link mate.

Edit - ignore that, bad download. Trying it now.

20. Kempston
    OP

United Kingdom
    Using your 9 point tutorial doesn't work unfortunately wilsoff, I get a DSI error when trying to start the created wad and wwPacker refuses to deal with it giving a 'Failed To Unpack' error when trying to use the Nandinjector loader.

Not meant to be by the look of it.