iPhones, iPads have been tracking their users' movements and storing t

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
All phones have to store the last 200 base stations you connected to anyway, harder to get your hands on the info and use I guess but still, you just have to accept it, it's just something mobile phones have always done.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Every smartphone is a potential and constant auio-visual bug on your body. If an organization like the FBI subpoenas your telco, it can and will be used in such a manner.

That is something every smartphone user needs to either accept, or cease using the device.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Zorua said:
prwlr. said:
You opt-in/out for the location tracking on Android.

Are you talking about Google Latitude?
That's completely different.
No, I'm talking about when you first set up your Android, it gives you an option (two actually) if you want to Google to track your location.

It's also under settings in Location & Security.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeathStrudel said:
Blebleman said:
Guys, what about potential good uses for this? For example, finding a kidnapped person?
The problem is I really don't think they could legally use the information to do that, even if it is morally right
Apple can't, but if they go through the proper channels, the FBI definitely can.

EDIT: And it should be mentioned, Apple doesn't actually have this information on-hand. It's not being sent anywhere (whether or not this will change at some point is of course unknown) and only exists on your local devices.

DeathStrudel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
DeathStrudel said:
Blebleman said:
Guys, what about potential good uses for this? For example, finding a kidnapped person?
The problem is I really don't think they could legally use the information to do that, even if it is morally right
Apple can't, but if they go through the proper channels, the FBI definitely can.
Good point, I wasn't really thinking about it that way

DeathStrudel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
And it should be mentioned, Apple doesn't actually have this information on-hand. It's not being sent anywhere (whether or not this will change at some point is of course unknown) and only exists on your local devices.
"The more fundamental problem is that Apple are collecting this information at all. It normally requires a court order to gain access to it, whereas this is available to anyone who can get their hands on your phone or computer."

Thats the problem

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeathStrudel said:
Urza said:
And it should be mentioned, Apple doesn't actually have this information on-hand. It's not being sent anywhere (whether or not this will change at some point is of course unknown) and only exists on your local devices.
"The more fundamental problem is that Apple are collecting this information at all. It normally requires a court order to gain access to it, whereas this is available to anyone who can get their hands on your phone or computer."

Thats the problem

I am capable of reading, and have been aware of this story for several days (this is old news). Many posters in this thread seemed to be confused on that issue, and thus I was clarifying.

DeathStrudel, there's also the possibility of exploits or malware making this available remotely as well.
There's plenty of other, probably more sensitive information (like logins, emails, contact info, texts etc) stored on each and every smartphone.

I don't see any financial incentive for a malware developer to target this location information.

DeathStrudel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
DeathStrudel said:
Urza said:

Thats the problem

I am capable of reading, and have been aware of this story for several days (this is old news). Many posters in this thread seemed to be confused on that issue, and thus I was clarifying.
lol, I'm glad you can read and I don't really care how long you've known about this. I wasn't trying to attack your statement, I was just adding to it to point out the negatives to this situation

QUOTE(Urza @ Apr 24 2011, 09:54 AM)
I don't see any financial incentive for a malware developer to target this location information.
People do fucked up things for reasons other than money

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeathStrudel said:
Someone could ambush you and smash your device to bits. Does that make it's existence as a physical object a liability?

Someone could break into your house as you sleep and chop off your balls. Does that make their existence as physical objects a liability?

The fact that some random psycho could potentially take some astronomically unlikely action is not cogent to discussing the potental detriments concerning this story.

DeathStrudel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
DeathStrudel said:
Someone could ambush you and smash your device to bits. Does that make it's existence as a physical object a liability?

Someone could break into your house as you sleep and chop off your balls. Does that make their existence as physical objects a liability?

The fact that some random psycho could potentially take some astronomically unlikely action is not cogent to discussing the potental detriments concerning this story.
haha, whatever man, you're taking this shit way to seriously.

But anyways, IMO privacy is very important and should be highly respected, therefore I believe that this information shouldn't be stored on you phone however unlikely it is that somebody is going to try to access it.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeathStrudel said:
Urza said:
DeathStrudel said:

But anyways, IMO privacy is very important and should be highly respected, therefore I believe that this information shouldn't be stored on you phone however unlikely it is that somebody is going to try to access it.
I wouldn't say I was taking it more seriously than anyone else here.

I'm just the only one thinking logically.

8BitWalugi

Taiyohhhhhh!
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia
I use an iPhone.
unsure.gif

I hope it doesnt track the sites I visit.
smileipb2.png

DeathStrudel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
DeathStrudel said:
Urza said:
DeathStrudel said:

I wouldn't say I was taking it more seriously than anyone else here.

I'm just the only one thinking logically.
...not really, all you've done is made a sad attempt to make yourself look intelligent. I know people that have made viruses just to fuck with people, that's all they got out of it, so I don't see how it's logical to assert as a fact that it is "astronomically unlikely" that somebody would do it. And like I said before, it doesn't really matter how likely it is that somebody will try to fuck with your shit, it's about privacy. You have a right to privacy and they are invading your privacy when they do something like this without telling you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol